Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now that the hurricane is finally here any GME 6 news?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by freshforged, Nov 30, 2017.

1. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Is the inline 6 going to be much less expensive to produce than Pentastar V6? Or is the Pentastar unable to be improved to produce similar performance to an I6? I don't really understand why a whole new engine is being made that really only works for RWD vehicles (fore-and-aft placement). It seems that it's a lot be spending on an engine with such limited application (compared to V6). Or is it more of a W6 which gets the length down to allow transverse?

Also, I've always thought CUV stood for "Compromised Utility Vehicle" ;).

CivoLee likes this.
  2. TripleT

Level III Supporter

premium brands all have inline 6s, more potential better balance.... even classic Jeepers and Mopar people have a soft spot for smooth running I6 engines... this is not subtraction by addition thing. The Pentastar has been a wonderful powerplant and I would not be expecting it to suddenly disappear. But moving upscale and increasing efficiency in performance area occupied by the 5.7 there is some wisdom.

AvengerGuy, GasAxe and somber like this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

That's one platform... I was talking about two of them at least.

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I like the way you think.

5. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Large cars are less and less attractive. If FCA build large cars it will be exclusively on a RWD platform. So I don't see an issue here.

Grand Cherokee, Durango. And of-course BOF vehicles like future WS and DS all can receive Inline 6.

FCA left compact and midsize sedan markets. But Honda showed that turbo 4 is a better approach than NA V6. New Accord just trumped new Camry in every aspect.

Similar is with FWD crossovers. All are going to turbo engines.

The only possible issue for me could be related to Chrysler Pacifica. But they will figure out something.

6. TripleT

Level III Supporter

if the I6 doesn't fit they keep making the V6 with mild updates, there is absolutely no issues the volume + a couple other larger CUV justifies the capacity easily. But we might just get surprised ;) .... the only hole I see is the Cherokee... but NO ones feels would be hurt if it moves to a NS engine layout and grows a bit.

I don't see them returning to midsize car market with a METO so it would be more likely also a RWD format car which again can easily be fitted with I6 especially at this point and if it is as space efficient as being hinted.

7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons for inline 6 cylinders is due to packaging advantages as volume and as cooling (with the inline 6 there is a cool side and a hot side, with the V6 a small cold area in the V and two hot on the sides).

Gasoline direct injection will need in a near future particulate filters to be added, at same time 48V components are being added, such as electric compressor coupled to turbines, all this have a volume that is not small.

8. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

But is it necessary to start over on a new engine to increase efficiency and performance over the 5.7? It seems to an outsider that a whole new engine is going to be more expensive than using the Pentastar as a starting point. Also, Pentastar has been through the wringer and has earned a lot of confidence in its reliability. Maybe it's as MJAB suggests - the I6 will be better able to accommodate new requirements.

9. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Hemi family lives on but moves up.... Pentastar is V engine family, I6 is part of GME family of new engines. We have already seen how potent it is out of the box. Old stuff doesn't go away just because the new stuff comes along. At one time 4.7 was the hot thing that replaced our beloved Magnum line. The League they want to play in has smooth powerful I6, sometimes its not a big mystery.... I am happy we are get new toys, especially no 4 cylinder toys, I am hoping there is NA 2.0 to replace the tire 2.4

somber likes this.
  10. T_690

T_690 Active Member

For RWD car or SUV there two choices in the modern world.

One is Inline 6. It can share parts with Inline 4 or even with a Inline 3 engine.

The other one is a V6. But not a V6 60°. It must be a V6 90°. It's a desirable to be a Hot Vee with turbo or turbos in between two banks. In that case V8 90° is a related engine to turbo 6.
    FCA together with Ferrari already made something similar but turbo position is a more common with turbos on the outer sides of engine. That's V6 is the one inside of Quadrifoglio badge Alfas. It's very similar to Ferrari V8.

Big V6 60° does not offer a good packaging solutions. That's one huge minus for Pentastar engine. The other one is... Well, turbo 4 is a replacement for naturally aspirated V6 engines and there is a no need to go bigger on most FWD cars and you got short snout with turbo 4. Just look at any Accord 2.0 T vs Camry V6 review.

somber likes this.
  11. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I have become a firm believer in the Pentastar, after having it in 3 vehicles. But I realize that they want to use a 6 to replace the 5.7, and as T_690 says, it would be hard to package Pentastar with turbos. I will look forward to the GME inline 6 and hope that it is every bit as reliable as the Pentastar. As for the 4 cylinder toys, I'm actually pretty excited about the new 4 cylinder engines. I'm hoping for something that will soothe my longing for the NSRT4 engine. But I want it in a Dodge that is the size of Giulia or less. If that isn't in the cards, I'll consider the Charger with T6 (and a manual trans, please).

eastcoaster likes this.
  12. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

re: cost of the T6.
    Not sure but considering that they intend to replace the Hemi and it is so damn cheap to build, you'd think they would make this a consideration in the T6 as well. YMMV

somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  13. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

- source?
    - why?

14. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Pentastar is big bore, big bore spacing engine with 106 mm. There is a relatively large offset between left and right cylinder bank. That makes it relatively long.

It has relatively short stroke for its capacity. Make it a 3 liter turbo with smaller bores and it losses siamese cylinders. That was done for Maserati version of that block. And most powerful version for Maserato is 430 HP. Not really a performance engine. Giulia is at 510 HP with similar capacity.

On the other side. You can slant Inline 6. You can go step further in a hybridization and put ISG on it to get rid of some belts and thus make it shorter in length.

15. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

Are you saying the Pentastar derived Maserati block is shorter than the standard Pentastar block? And does not have the left and right bores offset from each other?

16. T_690

T_690 Active Member

No. And that engine is not inside of 'G' car.

Inside of Giulia which is 'G' car... Engine block is a lot different.

17. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Once Again What is Going on at Dundee ? ? ? ?
    Are Plans in Place for Under Utilized Corporate Assets ? ? ? ?
    Rumors Abound. No Confirmations Yet !

djsamuel likes this.
  18. superduckie5000

Level III Supporter

Reports from "Friends".
    The I-6 (GME T6) is on the Stove, so is an I-3.
    Don't Know the Timeline.
    A Turbo Pentastar is Way, Way Back on a Back Burner.

19. superduckie5000

Level III Supporter

A "little" News on Hurricane:
    Fiat Chrysler turbo engine built in Trenton is built for the future (at https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2018/01/10/fiat-chryslers-turbo-engine-built-trenton-michigan/1018617001/ )

romalerig and T_690 like this.
  20. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Not surprised to hear of an I3 on the way—the GME T6 was always described as two I3s bolted together. My only question is will this I3 be a GME or a GSE?
    Everyone I mention the I6 is really stoked. The old Slant 6 is nearly as well remembered as the Hemi!