Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd oil filter positions !

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by DC-93, Aug 1, 2017.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Inspired by the battery location thread, how about goofy oil filter positions?

I vote for the venerable Slant Six. Can't get worse than upside down. :eek:

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

My son purchased a new 2000 Dodge Avenger ES with the 2.5 V-6 engine.

The oil filter was easy to access from underneath, but required the oxygen sensor to be removed to replace or install the recommended oil filter from Chrysler (the engine came from the factory with a smaller Mitsubishi oil filter). The filter that came with the engine was not available from Dodge parts. The parts counter guy recommended a smaller Chrysler oil filter to eliminate the clearance issues due to the oxygen sensor.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Oldest daughter has a '89 Civic 1.5L (her first car - hand me down from my Mom). Oil filter was on the back side of the engine. Only access was from underneath.

Her next car was a '99 Sebring Lxi 2.5L V6. I don't remember ever having to remove the O2 sensor to access the oil filter.

The '12 Sonata she has now has an opening in the under engine panels to access the oil filter. None of my oil filter wrenches would work - had to use a ratchet with extension and filter socket. The first time I could not get the filter off as whoever had installed the filter torqued it on so tight I could not get it off and I couldn't get my filter wrench to work at all (no room for it). She ended up having a shop do it.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Camry 2.2L four-cylinder also had upside down filter.

5. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

3.9L V-6 in a 4WD Dakota is bad. While it points downward at a 45 angle, the two problems are burning your hands on or near the exhaust manifold in removing it, and after you unscrew it, it all gushes down your arm, splashes all over the frame and scatters all over the ground, making it impossible to contain it in a drip pan. You have to contort your arm and tilt the filter all around to get it down through the frame and suspension.

6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Is the upside down filter only able to be taken off from underneath or can you do it from above. If from above that's great. Vw has a lot like that and it makes it was easier. Now it's bad if it's hiding behind the headers and everything like I think Subaru or Toyota had

7. Doug D

I'm not particular fond of where the filter is on my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi. As the filter is loosened oil drips (rather streams) down the side of the filter, all over my hand and onto the tie rod. One Firestone mechanic almost thought there was a problem with the tie rod until he noticed the oil filter above it.

Point of clarification - what do y'all mean by "upside down"? Filter opening facing up? Or down? On my Ram the filter opening is facing up.

8. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I have a big collection of cap wrenches for this reason.
    The worst one I've ever seen was on friends 1st gen Toyota MR2s (had 2 friends who owned them at the same time). Filter was on the front of the engine but jammed up against the firewall in the mid engine installation.
    I owned an '89 Corolla GTS same engine but that was front engine front drive so it was not bad as long as you let it cool off.

Our Jeeps are easy including the 5.7 Hemi.

You want to see bad check out some inboard boat and I/O boat installations. On ours I remove half of the rear seat and move the battery on that side . Then I lie down on a pad next to the engine...

#8 LouJC, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  9. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

10. Doug D

Not on mine. I did see there is an adapter that be installed to put the filter at an 45 degree angle.

11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Upside down means that the opening is facing down, so that it all spills out uncontrolled.

DC-93 likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Had some cranes I used to service that had Detroit 6-71 engines that had a standard cartridge element mounted horizontally that had so little clearance between the frame and the engine that you could not remove the canister itself. There was just enough room to slide the element (AC PF132) in and out and get a hand in there to change the gasket. If the canister had been damaged, you would had had to pull the engine to change it. You just had to wait for the oil to drain out and catch it in a drip pan. When done, you also had to wipe down the frame and suspension components that were directly below the falling oil. Starters were even harder to deal with. 4 hours to change.

13. Doug D

I don't think I've ever had one that was "upside down". Horizontal, yes, but not upside down.

14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Great motor for fire trucks. Loved them. Said to be "best at converting fuel to noise."

GasAxe, Dave Z and Doug D like this.
  15. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Noise was better on the 6V53 which really would rev fast and a lot higher. Also worked with 3-53, 4-53, 8V-71 12V-71 and 16V149. Biggest I have worked with was a 50 Liter 16V Cummins. All of these are small compared to some ship or stationary engines. Most unique engine I have been around was a 6 cylinder Atlas Imperial (Rod and main bearings had to be custom fit from poured Babbitt. Favorite engine: 590 Hall Scott. Block was separate from the crankcase, Studs went all the way from the crankcase through the head, Hemi head configuration with an overhead roller cam, Stellite valve seats, Stellite sodium filled valves w/rotators, and 3 piece Stainless steel tubing exhaust manifold. Ran so hot that the exhaust tubing (4") was cherry red out to the top above the cab with 2' of flame coming out visible after dark. All crankshafts, rods and pistons were stamped with a letter so you could order the correct weight piece to go with the crank for a balanced engine.

16. mopar22

Do you drain the oil first or is is a Chrysler problem? On vw of you take it off slowly without draining the oil if you felt the need to just change the filter because it sits so high on the engine

17. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I always drain the oil first. But the filter is still full of oil until it's unscrewed, so nearly 1 qt of oil comes gushing down.

DC-93 likes this.
  18. mopar22

Must be a Chrysler thing then

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Not consistent. The Pentastar has the filter above the engine. Do all VWs put the filter in the same place?

20. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I prefer the filter opening facing up because you can fill it up with oil for a safer initial startup.
    I assume, over the long haul, that would help engine longevity.

amclaussen likes this.