Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

odometer is not working....

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

It looks like the mechanic that supposedly fixed the odometer did not do a good job as my mileage counter is not working and neither is the odometer. Any suggestions?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The 20-tooth gear is usually what fails on these. Can he tell you what he replaced in it? Did he use junkyard parts or new? www.odometergears.com has new molded gears that last.

3. Seanjnl1

Seanjnl1 Member

The odometer in my 87 car had to be repaired a couple of times also. Even when it did work, the movement tended to be jumpy, not smooth like it should be. I don't think the odometer design was all that sturdy when they left the factory.

4. Scstables

Scstables Member

Thanks for the link. I do not know what was used.

5. Scstables

Scstables Member

Update: A dodge mechanic told me that the "motor" that controls the gears for the odometer is shot. So looks like we will be on another search for whatever part that is.

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

That would be a new speedometer for your model, I don't know what swaps/interchanges, but the teeth can be pretty simple to the point yeah, they do break under certain conditions. A jumpy speedometer is almost always a cable that needs to be lubricated. Disconnect from the back of the speedometer, pull the center out of the cable, if gunky, clean it up and oil with WD40, graphite oil, something not too heavy, even bike chain oil works well.

7. Scstables

Scstables Member

Hmmm. Makes me confused as the speedometer works fine but the odometer does not work at all. Supposidly a few years ago, the mechanic put new gears to try to get the odometer to work. Well that did not do it. So I have no idea what mileage I am putting on my car. :(

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

The gears for the odometer are about as serious as plastic toy pieces. Some are metal and some are plastic. If you pull her apart you will see what they are, so they can strip, they can fall out of counter position because they are held together with tin brackets and tabs bent by finger (they are that weak). There may also be a missing or stripped tooth so it goes so far then just stops because the tooth is stripped. Gotta take it apart to see what it looks like. I would imagine a lot of these internal parts themselves are interchangeable.

9. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

He may not have a speedometer cable, not sure what year they switched over.

More likely there is a gear stripped, than the motor failed.

10. Scstables

Scstables Member

My 88 daytona does not have a speedometer cable.

"He may not have a ..." I am a SHE. :)

11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

My bad, I was thinking 78, not 87.
    Hit the salvage yards and find another one.

12. 1991spirites

1991spirites Member

If you go to the salvage yards for a speedometer check the trip odometer. If it is reading zeros, more that likely the odometer is broken. Alot of the cars i have delt with, the odometer breaks when you rest the trip odometer.

13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Sorry, didn't realize.

14. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

Here are a few pictures I had of these units. The circular metal can at the top is the odometer motor. I never had one of those fail, but if the screws that hold it in place are tightened too much, the motor sometimes won't turn.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of units looking from the top down.
    [​IMG]

These are the 2 gears that usually break and stop the odometer from turning. The top and bottom of the pod is shown in each picture with a good and bad gear shown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Scstables

Scstables Member

Wow thanks for posting those pictures! Again I don't know what exactly the mechanic supposedly fixed a few years ago, but obviously it didn't work! Maybe he did screw it on too tight? Who knows. I would have to take apart the entire dashboard to check it out. Never done that before don't know how complicated or involved it would be.

16. Leroy Daniels

Leroy Daniels New Member

Any one with experience with this problem on a 1991 Dodge Ram? Speedo works good, but odometer does not.

Leroy Daniels

17. Jason89

Jason89 Member

Just ordered the small gear. Thanks...

18. Scstables

Scstables Member

Nice Shelby :)