Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Highway adventure anyone?

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by poorboy_616, Jul 22, 2016.

1. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Took the Red wagon out for some playtime with a local 4WD group in our playground this week.

The trails that exist currently are Base trails, nothing to exciting except for the features that we added over the years.

My local club is building several miles of new trail that will be aimed at the experienced driver with a modified vehicle. These trails will rated as Difficult, to most difficult.

Enjoy the short ride through both the Mountain View trail and the Hagen Creek trail. As I was coming up over the filter out of Hagen, my Dashcam power supply decided to abandon ship, so I apologize for the abrupt ending.

2. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

I made a mistake with the trail names. It was Deer Pen Trail (first Trail) like I said in the Video. Not Mountain View.

3. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

If i had a 4x4, I would totally go. Looks like a lot of fun. Haven't been to Yacolt, but been close.

4. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

It was beautiful. Gonna do it again here soon.

The trail system is "Owned" and maintained by the club I run with. Pistons WIld Motorsports. We work closely with DNR to keep it open for everyone.

5. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

That is really awesome your club does that! Good to hear. :) I was recently down that way, closer to Battle Ground and Hockinson up in the mountains, but on forestry roads I was given access too through a pass. Nothing crazy four wheel drive, just moderately maintained dirt roads.

6. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Chances are, you were up by the trails I was driving on. Commonly called Larch Mountain, the actual name of the system is Yacolt Burn or Jones Creek trailhead.

Pistons Wild works hard to keep up with the trail maintenance and building. Every year we hold an event called "Pick up the Burn", where hundreds of volunteers come out and pick up all varieties of trash from the Mountain. Everything from paper trash to glass and even old TV's people have used for target practice.

The trails within the Burn are what are known as "hardened" trails. Lots of rock and gravel added in and careful placement of the trails on high ground to avoid washouts and excess silting of the groundwater. All of these trails are driven on 24/7, so they also had time to settle in and compact down, creating even less problems.

7. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Larch Mountain rings a bell. From many of these trails, you had amazing views of Mt. St. Helens and you could see, Mt. Hood in Oregon.

Very cool! So I must have been on some of the same trails! Right on! It was very clean, I didn't notice a single piece of trash when driving on the routes.

8. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

We did a major cleanup earlier this year at our annual event called "Pick up the Burn". While we're out on the trails, we pick up trash that we see.

We run what are called "hardened" trails. Lots of crushed rock to prevent runoff and erosion.

We ate building 6 miles of new trail that will be rated as Difficult to most difficult. The current trails are easy to easiest.

We had to prove top the DNR that we could build and maintain a base or easy task system before we could build more difficult terrain.

At least, this is how I understand things that were described to me.