AF: Off Road Pages or Jeep Skills | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Road Pages or Jeep Skills

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Lone Renegade, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Lone Renegade

Lone Renegade Active Member

Initially I wanted to ask why Off Road Pages isn't included for all Trailhawk models but then I learned that Europe Renegades get their own similar App called Jeep Skills. It looks very neat, but we don't get it. Why is that? Jeep Skills allowing you to see your cars power distribution to the wheels would be helpful to me. Because when I off road it seems hit or miss when it comes to the torque vectoring, requiring me to do multiple go's at the obsticles even in Rock mode or 4wd. More information the better, especially when it comes to the "lesser" of the Trail Rated line up.

Attached Files:

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

3. Lone Renegade

Lone Renegade Active Member

Mainly wondering why US customers can't have software other places have available to them. I have been experimenting with the 4wd system, seeing how it works and trying to figure out how to make the most of it. In the real world I am having mixed results with the 4x4 system. Most cases, it doesn't apply brakes to the free spinning wheel in time, I lose momentum then get stuck. Once stuck, no matter what I try, no matter if I'm in the 4low gear or not, it cannot crawl itself out. Observing my videos, I belive the car is not sending enough power to any wheel to get it moving, maybe because it's not moving it doesn't know which one to send it to? In the end, almost all the time I need to take a running start to tackle an obsticle. I'm not bashing the Renegade, I'm happy with my purchase.

Here is an example of what I mean. Both times I'm in rock mode and in low gear. I think the torque vectoring worked as advertised on the second run, but definitely not the first time.

View: https://youtu.be/HQ9E_7cMpwc

4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

It's possible that the drivetrain may be directing the power back to the front wheels, but it simply may not have the power to get those wheels turning and is thereby turning back to the rear again. I think this is one of the biggest things that limit the Renegade and the Compass Trailhawk versions. Marketing aside, they do not have a true low range - it's really just first gear. As a result, the drivetrain (the whole combination of engine/transmission gearing/differential gearing) just doesn't have the torque to get it moving in a situation like that. On your second run, inertia was on your side and took some load off the drivetrain.