Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh, ohhhhhh......

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by paullybob, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM.

1. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Okay, so just had two Darts flat bedded into the dealership with this problem. No, they are not the same car but two different vehicles with the same sort of break. Something others are seeing or just me so far??

IMG_20171207_1112539 II.jpg IMG_20171207_1112357 .jpg

2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Wow ..that's not good

3. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I second Wow that.

4. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I wonder if the root cause was hitting a curb? I am guessing they are both on the passenger side?

5. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this on Cherokees that have gotten into minor accidents, as well.

This is why Darts feel like elephants on roller skates. The underpinnings are for much narrower, lighter cars.

My personal Dart has always had a funny feeling when giving it gas with the wheels turned, like pulling out of a parking space— feels like the wheels might just give out and fall over.

6. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Correct...but really, hitting a curb??

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Agree, this part should have been much beefier or made from steel instead of cast aluminum. Too much stress for such a light duty piece of aluminum.

8. JA Cumbo

Supporter

While I never felt anything weird with my Dart, what you described might explain why the car got so out of control while doing a simple avoidance maneuver and subsequently wiping out and totaling our car last year.

9. JA Cumbo

Supporter

Seems like a lot of modern cars have flimsy suspensions. Seems like older cars could take a lot more abuse.

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Aluminum has been used for awhile for suspensions and crossmembers without big problems. Aluminum may break where steel will bend. Both are subject to road salt corrosion.
    I suppose that a low-speed accident where there are no injuries is out of the car manufacturer's hands and placed in the insurance company's hands anyway.
    I saw this happen on LH and JR cars back about 15 years ago, but only from an accident.
    I will agree that I am concerned about this failure happening frequently, if in fact, it is.

11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I completely agree with your statement, but this part appears a little bit on the light side of dimensions/size in relation to its function and lack of strength to withstand impact.

ImperialCrown likes this.