AF: Oil additive or not? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil additive or not?

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by Mile011, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Mile011

Mile011 Well-Known Member

Dodge GC, Sport, 3.3L, FWD, 2002, 114K,

Notice little bit of "clinging" and something like small "grinding" coming out of engine lately.
    Oil has been changed to synthetic brand few years ago (according to previous owner)
    Should I consider adding oil additive?
    And, if yes, with so many brands and choices in today's market, would anybody recommend one?

Lukas?
    Liqui Moly?
    Archoil AR9100?
    Red Line?
    Marvel Mistery Oil?
    Bestline Synthetic?

Those just few that quick search would show.

Thanks in advance

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I would use a quality 5W-30 oil and filter meeting the API SL/SM and ILSAC GF-3 properties as stated in the owners manual or service information. The synthetics may or may not meet this requirement.
    Best oil filter brands might start an argument here :D, but I use Mopar filters.
    Chrysler does not recommend any oil additives as a premium motor oil should already have a high degree of refinement and the necessary additive blends in it. Avoid 'snake' oil and fancy 'boutique' oils.
    If there is an engine noise, diagnose first to locate the noise source. If it is at the front (right side) of the engine, does it go away if you remove the serpentine belt? Timing chains can also get noisy with no other ill-effects and an additive won't help that.

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Gas-Diesel-2007-12-01-About-Additives.pdf

"The major oil companies are some of the richest, most powerful and aggressive corporations in world. They
    own multi -million dollar research facilities manned by some of the best chemical engineers money can hire.
    It is probably safe to say that any one of them has the capabilities and resources at hand in marketing,
    distribution, advertising, research and product development equal to 20 times that of any of the independent
    additive companies. It therefore stands to reason that if any of these additive products were actually capable
    of improving the capabilities of engine lubricants, the major oil companies would have been able to
    determine that and to find some way to cash in on it. Yet of all the oil additives we found, none carried the
    name or endorsement of any of the major oil producers."

Mile011 and ImperialCrown like this.
  4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I don't believe in additives for the oil. I think the oil I run in my cars has enough additives already. Be sure to use a good quality filter on changes.

Mile011, ImperialCrown and Tony K like this.
  5. Mile011

Thank you guys.
    I was kind of thinking same.
    To me, noise come from engine , may very easy be timing belt. It's it not from serpentine belt.
    And, it is not a noise noise; more like quite "grinding" coming from the left, passenger side of the engine.
    I was hoping for one of the pulleys or tensioner but it is not.
    Next step changing oil and oil filter.
    Like I stated before, previous owner said that he stat using synthetic oil two years ago, so I will have to continue with synthetic.
    Quaker State or Castrol were my brand choices before with Fram or Delco filters.
    Should I look more something else?

6. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

Is the noise constant or does it change with the speed of the motor? Does it ever go away? How did your rule out the tensioners or pulleys? Did you remove the serpentine belt and was the noise still present (this will rule out the tensioners, idler pulleys, and components like the alternator, power steering pump and water pump, etc.)

As a note, the 3.3l has a timing chain.

Mile011 likes this.
  7. Mile011

It does change with the speed of motor; noise reminds me of bad bearing grinding

No, I didn't. Two nights ago, I had front end on the jack, with side and bottom panel removed, while replacing lower radiator hose. I sprayed belt with belt conditioner and used lithium grease for pulleys. No changes, same sound/noise was still there. With that, I ruled out serpentine belt and pulleys.

I may remove belt in next few days to make sure that alternator, steering pump and water pump are out (or not)

8. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I agree with Gerry G. You can't truly rule out and of the tensioners or bearings with the belts attached. I'd take a close listen to the alternator without the belt. Two bearings in it and if one goes dry, you should be able to hear it. Heck, you might even be able to feel it if you slowly turn the pulley by hand. Same goes for the tensioners. Slowly turn them by hand too and see how they feel. If you get one that has any type of slow spot, replace it, don't try greasing it. Waste of time as they're sealed bearings.

Mile011 likes this.
  9. Mile011

This may take some time; had a winter supply delivered today and it may take several days to organize garage to make a space for a car, again.
    Or, I may just take the car to local mechanic.
    Will see.
    Either way, I will post follow up.

10. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

I would take the serp belt off and spin all of the pullies by hand. Feeling for any roughness including the tensioner pully and idler pully.
    I have had to replace the tensioner assembly a number of times. Because with age the arm on the tensioner starts to lean outward which can cause the belt to be thrown off if you hit a puddle of water or a pile of snow.

11. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I use Mopar Oil filters cause of the price and quality... When it comes to oil .. conventional oil.. semi synthetic and synthetic have different molecule size.. The synthetic oil I use is from Natural gas so the molecule size is the smallest. If you use Conv. oil then yes use a additive but if using a high tech synthetic then you are just wasting moneyo_O

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Using additives runs the risk of incompatibility with the oil manufacturer's additive package. Just use high quality properly spec'd oil, change it as required, and maybe do a used oil analysis.

Bob Lincoln and mdh1776 like this.
  13. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

And I can get a MOPAR oil filter for my PT at Walmart at a very good price :cool:

Shane Estabrooks and Doug D like this.
  14. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Not at Wal-marts in Canada .. but the price at Dealer is better than Canadian Tire's best.:)

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  15. Mile011

Quick update
    It was a bearing on alternator making "grinding" noise.

Tony K, chuzz and page2171 like this.
  16. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

An easy trick I learned (forget where) you take a socket extension or screwdriver, and stick it on whatever you want to listen to, and put the other end to your cheek next to your ear, and you'll hear the bearing. Poor man's stethoscope trick. Even better, throw a cut open jug on the end.
    View: https://youtu.be/PgwvTUEx3cc

Mile011 likes this.
  17. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I love the 'poor man' tool solutions. :D

Tony K and Doug D like this.
  18. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

[​IMG]
    ...and don't even pretend you didn't read that in a Clint Eastwood "Gunny Highway" voice.

Mile011 likes this.