Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pressure / Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by daniel, Jun 23, 2014.

1. daniel

daniel New Member

Hello, all!

The wife and I now have his and her editions of the 2013 Dodge Journey SXT. Both were pre-owned. We've had hers the longest, since November 2013. Recently, the check engine light came on, though a look at the owner's manual indicates that if not flashing all is probably Ok and the issue likely lies with bad gasoline or an issue with fuel cap. Took fuel cap off and screwed back in - no change in light. We get our gasoline at Wawa and Miller Mart, so we are changing this right away. Still might take in for service.

On another note, I compared oil pressure between the two after each was parked for about 2 hours, and then restarted. Mine showed a pressure reading of 76 PSI, while my wife's showed 96 PSI. Seems pretty high to me, but I don't know what is normal on these engines. Same exact vehicle/engine/etc.

Anyone able to shed any light on what we've got going on here? Many thanks in advance!

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You need to have the engine fault codes read. Most auto parts stores do this for free. Anything less is just a guess. It could be many different things.
    96 psi does seem high for oil pressure. Are these the 3.6L Pentastar engines? Same oil and filter brands? Same temperatures? Possibly a sticking pressure relief valve? Make an appt at the dealer for this.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree with IC. Need to have to PCM/TCM read for any fault codes. Otherwise anything else is a wild guess. Could be anything from a bad gas cap to a flakey sensor to a faulty EGR.

The difference in oil pressure would definitely concern me. I'd definitely have that checked.

If it is the gas cap it may take a certain number of "trips" or drive cycles to turn the CEL off. I had this happen on our previous '09 Journey SXT (3.5L). CEL came on after fueling up during a trip. CEL stayed on for about two days. On the 3rd day it stayed off.

I highly doubt the gas you're getting from Wa Wa or Miller Mart is bad. Locally, I purchase my gas from Sheetz and Wa Wa and have never had an issue with the fuel.

4. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

I once had a bad oil filter on a Chevy truck which caused the oil pressure to read way high, and blew out the gasket at the remote filter adapter.