AF: Old girl is trying to change it's diet | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old girl is trying to change it's diet

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Jul 27, 2020.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello All, This is a curiosity rather a problem. But, it baffles me none the less. The last year or so my '99 LHS has started to show some oil discoloration near the front of the plenum. All the lines going in are clean on the inside and my oil use has gone up a bit. And of course, so has the smoke but, still hard to see at speed. Still, nothing to complain about after 430,000 mile. Anybody have any ideas?

Attached Files:

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Manifold tuning valve gasket. Replace your PCV as well. I have a BilletTech catch can (designed for the LX but I found a nice place to put it on the LH out of the way). I can take a picture if you want.

3. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Please, take a pic if you could. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

4. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

My '00 300m is also very oily around that tuning valve. Has been for years. What's the fix? New valve stem seals?

5. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Manifold tuning gasket, and PCV valve, and catch can. Otherwise, you'd need to tear down the engine and do rings. It's oil vapor from blowby.

6. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I unmounted it to show what I did.
    The one hole was already there for the rubber gasket on the strut tower / cowl brace. The other I drilled.
    I used a 90 degree stainless bracket, and a worm clamp around the top of the catch can, and the hoses from the rocker cover to the can as well as the can to the PCV should be visible.

I haven't emptied it lately. On short trips in the winter it fills up with mostly water and a tiny amount of oil rather quickly.

Attached Files:

7. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Good idea. I will give it a try

8. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

The last time I emptied it was during my last oil change, about 3500 hard miles ago. Insert the septen shaming me here.

Attached Files: