AF: Oldest living US World War II veteran turns 111 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldest living US World War II veteran turns 111

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by 06PTElectricBlue, Sep 12, 2020.

1. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

[​IMG]

The Defense Department on Saturday celebrated the 111th birthday of Lawrence Brooks, the oldest known living U.S. veteran from World War II.

“I salute your service and your lifetime of determination,” Defense Secretary Mark Esper wrote on Twitter.

Of the 16 million U.S. veterans who served, about 300,000 are still alive today, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Louisiana native was stationed with the Army as part of the predominately African American 91st Engineers Battalion in the Pacific Theater. He served in Australia, New Guinea and then the Philippines.

Oldest living US World War II veteran turns 111 (at https://thehill.com/policy/defense/516128-oldest-living-us-veteran-turns-111 )

[​IMG]

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

One of the cool parts of working in healthcare is that I’ve met countless numbers of vets over the years, with many serving during WWII. Unfortunately it was in the hospital when I was meeting them, but the conversations and stories I’ll always carry with me. I see fewer and fewer now from that era for obvious reasons. My dad was a Naval officer in the late 50’s-mid/late 60’s, and he’s 81 now, so the WWII vets are all much older than him.

page2171 and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

That is awesome and I truly appreciate Lawrence Brooks service to the greatest nation on Earth. Where was the news coverage on THIS? Oh, that's right, our veterans aren't important enough to garner any coverage.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

CNN covered it.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.