AF: On FCA US’ carline gaps | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On FCA US’ carline gaps

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

Sorry ,higher margins are not "Sergio dreams".... they are reality to anybody who pays attention to the Stock instead of whining like a bunch of Sore "Pontiac fans".

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Even when you admit a problem with FCA, you blame it on FCA. And people who run out of other excuses call critics of FCA xenophobic.

Prabhjot and Erik Latranyi like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Please, explain about the "higher margins" when Cherokees, pickups, L based cars all have heavy incentives.
    The 200 was a perfect example of Sergio's high margin dreams only to fail without discounts. So is the Pacifica. An FCA spokesman arrogantly told minivan buyers they could buy another product as the minivans were going upscale - but Pacifica sales weren't high enough to justify dropping Grand Caravan.

4. I can't help but notice that a lot of Europeans are basically throwing around their opinions about Fiat's
    quality in the EU -- while most of us are citing actual industry survey data for the USA.

The Fiat USA brand is keeping FCA in the basement of all industry quality metrics. If that brand went away,
    It is likely Land Rover or Mini would basically take the dead last spot away from FCA. Chrysler and Dodge are a little
    worse than average, but definitely are far closer to the industry average for quality than Fiat. The Ram brand actually
    is better than the industry average from time to time. So FCA is capable of it.

[​IMG]

Auto Guide's #1 Least Reliable Car In The United States: Fiat 500L

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGM88xes8U

"It is 276% less reliable than the average compact car. What?" - Auto Guide

#564 73PlymouthDuster, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
  5. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

I should note the pay attention to Stock part a little more.
    Anybody comparing Pacifica to 200 should look at Sienna,Obyssey sales,and should hire outsiders to mange their own money.

DAGAR, Prabhjot and TripleT like this.
  6. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Higher margins have not been realized yet. In the last financial report, FCA still lags most of the industry

I am not saying that margins are not rising, but I assure you that it is temporary. As the market shrinks in the US, incentives will be used to keep volumes up, and margins will shrink. That always happens.

As more CUVs enter the market, the margins on those will approach those of sedans.

As more customers experience the subpar quality and customer service from FCA in the US, margins will fall.

Marchionne knows this.

Is it possible that the US is just a temporary "toy" for Marchionne to play with until he gets his merger/sale/acquisition?

Why would he build inferior Fiat 500s in the US market when he builds good ones in Europe?
    Why would he go cheap on Dart, 200, etc and introduce highly flawed vehicles while building competent ones for other markets?
    Why would he not put any emphasis on quality in the US while holding good quality in other markets?
    Why does Alfa seem defective in the US while OK in the EU?

Could it be that Marchionne really has no long-term interest in the US market?

Could the decision have already been made to simply extract the profits from the US while having no concern for long-term quality, branding or image?

chrisg05, jimboy and valiant67 like this.
  7. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

'Blame' is besides the point. It is other people's money and jobs and reputations at stake, hardly any(?) of ours.

imo It is TOO EARLY for final 'blame'-'accounting': that will necessarily have to wait for the 2018 fca financial targets being met (or not), the outcome for fca and its usa dealers+workers of the next, coming soon enough no doubt, usa=global(?) recession/financial-crisis and the Marchionne success (or not) at mergers/acquisitions/spinoffs also coming soon enough surely? And then......on and on. In other words it will always be too early. ;-) The firm's just a teenager, really, still: truth be told. No point being 'hanging judges'. At all.

Other than for some shareholders, investors and senior managers at fca (and ferrari and cnh industrial.) ;-) Such as marchionne....manley/palmer/bigland...., as a matter of fact: not a case of 'too early' but 'just in-time' (so far and in the near term)!! :) This last quarters' global financial results come in a few days. Share up nearly 100% etc etc.

Alexbucks likes this.
  8. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

On the contrary, it seems as though Fiat/Alfa have pretended it never happened. I always appreciate when someone "owns it". Had there been an ad campaign around "Not your Father's Alfa, Fiat" or something that says, "yeah our last N.A. vehicles were pretty rough, but these ones aren't, give them a shot!" I would have responded well as a consumer.

9. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Aren't you rushing things just a wee bit?

The company celebrates its 13th. birthday in 2027......at which point it can have its Bar Mitzvah......and finally become a responsible adult auto company.:):p:D

Prabhjot likes this.
  10. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

A toddler? Still? Funny how ALL the brands are SO hoary and weathered while the firm is such an all-new 'improvisation'....;-)

11. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

My understanding is that most of the quality issues for fiat were with the 500l transmission... not the only problem but the big one no? And that transmission was ill suited to US driving situations and styles and then further tuned to us tastes that increased overheating problems.

Prabhjot and freshforged like this.
  12. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

While what you say certainly is possible, it is highly unlikely as it's a strategy that results in less total return for the shareholders and john elkann is not likely to accept that even if Marchionne intended it which I highly doubt.

13. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

You are continuing to conflate two related but separate and distinct issues: quality and product. It's Ill considered arguments like this that lead others to accuse you ( and others) of bashing.

14. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

You make ZERO sense.

15. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

As well during the last two earnings reports FCA had greater Global margins than Ford.....Anybody who claiming FCA margins haven't grown is blinded by the numbers and Stock price.

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Funny how everything posted is labeled as fake news or the author is attacked when it doesn't hold Sergio in God-like standing.

If you want to debate, debate with facts other than throwing around cute diversions. All your link does is muddy the water comparing global vs. US margins in a topic on the US market.

18. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

I'm not looking to debate especially when clearly stated "GLOBAL MARGINS ".

#579 Alexbucks, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
    ScramFan likes this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I don't think you understand how ironic your fascination with calling people "Pontiac-fan like" is. Dodge has been positioned by Sergio where Pontiac was going. I'm not sure if you are trying to insult me or Sergio's management of Dodge.

And I'm not sure you are debating anymore - it's more like throwing insults at those who don't agree rather than debating.