Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On FCA US’ carline gaps

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 13, 2017.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I think the rear slope nearly matches the 200's.. it sucks that nobody will likely complain about it, because Honda.
    [​IMG]

Prabhjot, GasAxe, AlfaCuda and 6 others like this.
  2. The sedan is never going to die.

Compact and Midsize cars will still represent roughly 20-25% of the entire US market -- Corolla, Civic, Camry
    and Accord ain't going anywhere. Crossovers are likely hitting there peak right now (or within the next year).
    But it is a fad, just like compact pickups from the 1980s -- it will peak and eventually decline.

#42 73PlymouthDuster, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
    aldo90731 likes this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Least of all FCA. It gave up any claims on that segment the moment it decided to vacate it.

Sigh: that's one good looking 200!

dennisimperial and suzq044 like this.
  4. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

While the slope angle looks very close, the overall greenhouse looks like it could be taller on the Accord which would definitely improve the entry position.

5. suzq044

Or he just realizes that the press seems to always poopies on Chrysler, regardless of how good the cars are. They're a joke to anyone who isn't an enthusiast. Thanks to the Daimler decline and then the Cerberus near-death, Chrysler is now synonymous with "uhh.. I'd rather not," unless it's an SRT product.

Prabhjot, danbek, Alexbucks and 2 others like this.
  6. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Ad-Free Member

I am just confirming that your comment pertains to "Chrysler" and not CJDR as a whole? Chrysler is synonymous with "bail-out" and "old", whereas Dodge has muscle/street cred, Jeep has Trail-Rated cred, and Ram has just awesomeness cred. Fiat is another story entirely.

7. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

So, Honda and Toyota are going to start this new design strategy called "trying", instead of their decades-old strategy of "phoning it in". First of all, good for them -- better late than never, I say.

However, I fail to see how this will suddenly rescue the floundering sedan market, or cause consumers to sound a full retreat from CUVs. Let's see this new Accord: Is it still low to the ground? Check. Does it still have a trunk? Check. OK then...the millions of people who did not want a sedan before for those reasons (including myself), will continue to not want one now.

I think consumers are not quite as fickle as some are assuming. CUVs are not popular merely because society is reflexively faddish, they're popular because they offer a certain...utility. (Whod've thought?)

djsamuel, AlfaCuda, DAGAR and 6 others like this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Seriously...?

jerseyjoe and valiant67 like this.
  9. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

The other thing is geographically mix of Midsize sales:coastal markets where American vehicle brands (outside Jeep in the Northeast and Tesla) have structure disadvantage base on brand.
    Of course Honda is going to have new Accord:rolleyes:.....Honda is number 1# in Northwest of the U.S. (Seattle and Silicon Valley) the biggest areas of the Sedan market.
    FCA can't put good money after PROVEN bad.

#49 Alexbucks, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
    Prabhjot, freshforged and ScramFan like this.
  10. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

Still waiting for an actual refutation of any points...

Why do YOU think a redesign will completely turn around the segment? It's not like redesigns are rare or something...

freshforged, djsamuel, danbek and 6 others like this.
  11. TripleT

Level III Supporter

AND THE CHAMPION the Toyota Camry... sold so many that Gtown is getting a complete redo so they can make something else... Honda is doing the same in Greenville, and I would take bets from anyone who bets against the same thing happening in Marysville... So printing sedans in a glutted and shrinking market to Claim the Number 1 sales spot actually means something if, only IF, you are making them at a profit. Not just because you have a massive amount of fixed costs to cover and the only way to keep from losing even more money is to make as many as you can for whatever transaction $ that can be made. Do I feel sorry for them nope.... killed GM, Ford, and Chrysler not to long ago, but the days of bragging about being the volume leader meaning something are gone. Even the #1 Sedan in the North West WOOP DEE DOO :D

12. suzq044

As a whole, for the most part, people seem to love the cars, but hate the reliability / quality issues they "seem to have", regardless of brand within FCA. For example if someone has had a bad Dart; loved it when it wasn't in the shop or something.. they aren't going to look at another FCA product, because that just ruined their view of FCA as whole. Or their quality anyway.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Honda was a loss making firm, overall globally, until about 2 odd years ago: when they hit paydirt, with a new ceo to boot, across all markets with the hr-v, vezel, br-v, new cr-v. Bar europe where they're as inexistent as ever, nevermind the new Civic sporty hatch. i.e., Honda's global volumes, 'quality-reliability reputation' er rescuscitation and esp financial turnaround happened only recently.....via neither the new civic nor the previous, redone Accord nor the new turbo engines (which also had severe and severely common serious 'quality' issues) but via crossovers styled in the er newHonda-trying-far-too-hard way.

The next few years in the usa market are going to be MIGHTY painful financially for Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda (they already are suffering plenty.) Good thing they will always have the ultra-cheapened yen or thai baht etc to ease that financial pain.

FCA's multi-different-focussed-historic-brands-in-multiple-markets-at-multiple-price-points-with-high-usp-for each-nameplate is imo incomparable to the likes of such generalist and ultra-commoditized car firms as Toyota and Honda. imo The latter's best, bumper-harvest-financially-and-reputationally years (Toyota Way etc etc) are all behind them for that very reason, while FCA's have only just begun-in-earnest. new Times, post-2008 crisis etc. Very.

AlfaCuda, BASONE88, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

The only way I can see sedan sales increase again is for "hatchback trunks" and AWD to become much more common. Unique designs help and Honda and Toyota already have that down, but they need more capability and easier trunk access too.

Mr. Fusion and jerseyjoe like this.
  15. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

For the present time, he will be proven right, as to Dusters comments, I'm so glad you know so much.

16. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

It won't, somebody is talking, analytics, statistics, the rest of us will live in and watch the real world.

BASONE88 likes this.
  17. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Obviously because statistics say so......and the president is? :rolleyes:

BASONE88 likes this.
  18. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

With the new Camry getting 41mpg highway and the new Accord probably in the same ballpark, that is a compelling case for those that need the spaciousness of a midsize, but want maximum fuel economy. That is not a game-changer and will not cause some massive switch from CUVs to sedans, but it will peel off those who put fuel economy as their top priority.

It will be interesting to watch how the market reacts.

Most CUVs sold are FWD, not AWD. Toyota/Honda could add AWD to the Camry/Accord easily.

19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

New Honda Accord.

Switched to the global compact platform used by Honda Civic and CR-V.

No more V6. Use only the global turbocharged 4 cylinders, 1,5 and 2.0 liters.

20. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Am I the only one who finds this new Accord horrible to look at?

Prabhjot, tlc, DAGAR and 1 other person like this.