AF: On FCA US’ carline gaps | Page 31 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On FCA US’ carline gaps

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jul 13, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No one said it didn't matter, just that it is irrelevant to this topic.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You are the one that brought Pontiac into the discussion trying to insult other posters and it backfired on you. LOL

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I think part of Bob's criteria wasa child seat could go in the back. If one fits in the 500, it can't be easy.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Well, no it wouldn't. Wrong type of vehicle. I don't want a PT-Cruiser type of vertical hatch car, and I want at least a Chrysler-engineered engine.
    That's like when I was the dealer in 2007 for parts for my Daytona, and commented that I was going to keep it running as long as I could, until Chrysler made a replacement for that class. He suggested the Caliber. Please, I said - look at my car and look at that fugly thing. He grimly nodded his agreement, and I said I'll wait until they get better. He then said, They're not getting any better.

Ryan likes this.
  5. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

While the Fiat brand is in the toilet on that list, your claim that Fiat alone is dragging down FCA's rating is ludicrous. Chrysler shows as 18% worse than the industry average. Dodge shows as 31% worse than the industry average. So your story is not borne out by the facts.
    And if you weight these individual brand ratings by sales volume, as they should be, among the FCA brands, you would find that Fiat is even less a factor in dragging the overall FCA standing down.

#605 Bob Lincoln, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Zagnut27 and dmcdonald like this.
  6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Nope, that's no longer a consideration. My daughter is 12 now. And most people would have been surprised that it could fit in the Daytona. I was.
    The post about the body style is correct. I could not stand that vertical hatch configuration that Fiat offers, nor the PT Cruiser nor the Caliber. The reason it worked well in the Daytona is that it still looked like a conventional coupe, same as the Shadow, and the Novas and Skylarks that came with hatches in the late 70s.

Erik Latranyi and Ryan like this.
  7. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Fair enough... I get it, you don’t like the styling.

Mike

8. JeepandRams

JeepandRams Active Member

All through the history of automobiles, different form factors were the most popular in different eras. Four door open cars, 2 door convertibles with rumble seats, full size cars in 2 door and 4 door versions, single cab trucks, Oldsmobile Cutlass coupe, body on frame midsize SUV's. There is no reason sedans should remain the most popular form factor. Americans seem to be liking hatchbacks more than ever and if the roof is raised a little bit, you have a crossover. Even if the price of gas goes way up, I bet consumers keep their crossovers and just switch to hybrid ones. I think the future of sedan intenders is something like the Stevio.

BTW, doesn't the Renegade look much like the Dodge Hornet concept car? Where I sell cars, we have little trouble switching entry level and economy buyers to the Renegade.

chrisg05, Prabhjot and ScramFan like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

They sold plenty of Darts and 200s compared to the vehicles they replaced.... it was all about making money and what would make them more money. Hell, the damn Dart just showed up last month in Forza Horizon 3 video game for XBox... its enough of a performance car to be consider for a video game! lol

FH3-Dodge-DartGT-13-1.jpg

10. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I drove a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop assembled at Toluca for 3 years and 50,025 miles. Total unscheduled maintenance was a driver side tail light bulb. I never heard from J. D. Powers.

Morty and ScramFan like this.
  11. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Probably another reason to add an xbox 1 to my shopping list. xD

UN4GTBL and redriderbob like this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And the transmission (ddct clutch assembly) failed in my Fiat 500L in 3200 miles and I never heard from JD Power about that car either.

DAGAR likes this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But I did get a JD Power survey in my 2012 Challenger when I owned it. I dinged it on two things:
    1) the horrid choice of OEM tires, 20" Firestone tires that were noisy and squirmed on concrete roads (a quality issue)
    2) lack of more luxury options (a design issue that they've addressed to some extent)

Erik Latranyi and rapidtrans like this.
  14. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Goodyear F1 Supercar tires Chrysler and Dodge picked for its SRT cars were expensive as hell (about $360/tire...10 years ago), and sucked in anything more than a morning dew. And they punctured easily.

I got to the point that I would replace them upon getting the vehicle. I found the Falken Azenis to be much better all around tire, safer and quieter, for a fraction of the price.

15. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

My Avenger was also built in 2012 and also had tire issues. The driver's side rear tire disintegrated during the break in period. I hadn't driven over 55mph yet, since the car had less than a thousand miles on it. I took it to the dealer who had the Michelin rep look at it and it was replaced under warranty. Those tires were noisy and squirmed on concrete also. Replacing the tires with a different brand felt like the whole suspension system was rebuilt.

16. I think you are missing the point. It's about consumer perception (and how the media reports it). Fiat is dead last (by a larger margin each year) -- and as long as they are calling themselves Fiat Chrysler.... Consumers were perceive them as the absolute worst (it is a textbook example for the term "Halo Effect"). A slight improvement for Jeep would put Infiniti in the basement position..... FCA would no longer hold the dead last position and could start to restore its damaged reputation. Fiat's defects/problems per vehicle are now roughly twice of the Chrysler brand. That is a horrible position.

Bottom line: The very low sales of Fiat USA just don't merit the damage it is doing to FCA's reputation for reliability among consumers.

This years figures have deteriorated even more for Fiat:

[​IMG]

17. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I notice Lexus is at the top, and they're known for the best dealer practices/customer treatment. I'm wondering if this isn't also an echo of some sort to that? You get treated well, you forget you were at the dealer for that pesky oil leak or transmission slipping in your Lexus? (making up the problems btw)

Whereas the most complaints I hear about from Mopar owners is the dealerships and/or warranty questions because the dealer is saying no coverage on something that should be covered, etc. That's where you're likely to get that "this thing is a POS," sort of attitude, and customers that definitely remember the experience.

chrisg05, UN4GTBL, somber and 9 others like this.
  18. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Having bought a used FCA vehicle at a Lexus dealership I can understand why customers would buy and stay with a Lexus.
    Over in the service area they had a juice bar, with free snacks, juice, coffee w/small tables. There were 2 large waiting rooms, one with a movie like TV screen. The other set up with small desks to do work on. The service center had several service writers all with their own small glass office to review what service was being performed or going over your bill. Not a counter or small desk out in the garage area where you smell exhaust and have no A/C or heat. The service bay had a huge glass window where you could watch work being performed on your vehicle..the floors all spotless. Next to that another bay also with a huge glass window where your vehicle was being cleaned prior to being returned to you.
    Heck, I almost wanted to buy a Lexus just so I could hang out at the service area for the day!!!
    Too bad I find the vehicles too boring and ugly..but one day who knows.

19. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Lexus offers an incredible experience for owners. They call you that you have not had your Lexus cleaned recently and they want to pick it up and clean it for you for free while you work or whatever.

Loaner cars are easily obtained, but for routine maintenance (oil change) their lounge is top notch, with people offering to bring you drinks, food, etc.

20. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

Back on topic..

I was speaking with one of the workers at the bank while doing some business. She is looking for a small hatchback. I mentioned the Lifetime MaxCare warranty and that really piqued her interest, but alas, there is nothing in the Chrysler lineup for her. So she'll be looking at something like a Focus. I wish I could have pointed her at a C/D product. I just couldn't bring myself to recommend a 500.

Chase300 likes this.