AF: On FCA US’ carline gaps | Page 32 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On FCA US’ carline gaps

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jul 13, 2017.

1. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I like the 500, but it should come with this disclaimer; "Service not available in all areas." I have two dealers in my vicinity, but in other regions, there are none.

2. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Christopher you bring up a great selling point that most people are not aware of...Chryslers Lifetime Maxcare warranty. I don't believe any other manufacturer offers such a warranty.
    I was telling 2 of my diehard GM friends about it and they were shocked there could even be a factory lifetime warranty let alone it would cover just about every component of the car, not just the drivetrain.
    I'm not sure this gets promoted enough....or maybe dealers are too greedy and scare people with the cost?
    Regardless, it is still a nice selling point on FCA vehicles.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yes, the Max Care Warranty is good at covering nearly everything. However, with the way FCA is trying to control warranty costs, the warranty might not be worth the paper it is printed on. I'm sure dealers try to sell the Max Care, but some price it on the high side.

UN4GTBL, somber and aldo90731 like this.
  4. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Meanwhile, CDJR dealers want to haggle over legitimate warranty work and the fake coffee creamer.

Ian, UN4GTBL, somber and 3 others like this.
  5. aldo90731

Indeed. The Wrangler forums are filled of stories of customers with Maxcare warranties having to fight and argue with dealers to get things covered.

UN4GTBL, somber and Doug D like this.
  6. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

If i decide to keep my Charger when it comes off lease the Firestones are getting replaced first thing.
    You mentioned the Dart. As i was looking to replace my Neon my salesman seemed to keep steering me away from the Darts.
    They must have already started seeing complaints. He did say they were having tire and wheel issues.

7. aldo90731

I live Bellingham, WA, with 85,000 it is the largest city in Whatcom County, but we don't have a Fiat dealership. The closest Fiat showroom to me is 30 miles south, in Burlington, a town of only 8,000 people.

Across the river from Burlington is the town of Mount Vernon, in Skagit County, with only 45,000 people.

How does that make any sense?

We have Porsche, Audi and Volvo dealers, but no Fiat.

#627 aldo90731, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

I mention it quite often when the conversation comes around to cars and most people are surprised. The woman at the bank really liked the idea, but C/D have left that segment she was shopping, and she wanted a hatchback.

It is the reason my brother is buying another FCA (124) vehicle to replace his Dart. He said if they didn't offer that warranty he'd probably buy a Cruze. He told me that the people he knows that have one really like them. He refuses to buy something in the 500 line because they are, in his words, "hideous." He refused to drive a SUV/CUV because he doesn't like them and has taken to driving his 25 year old Daytona as a daily driver even though he has access to a 2 month old Cherokee. He doesn't follow the industry, but likes cars and he thinks that they've made a fatal error in getting rid of the Dart and 200. He told me the only thing keeping him with FCA is the MaxCare warranty and he'd buy a used CAR that qualified before jumping ship, but if they stopped offering that warranty, he'd probably buy from someone else because they don't offer anything in the segment he wants.

I can only speak from my brother's and my experience. (I know...limited sample size.) With about 48,000 miles on the odometer, I had a temperature sensor go bad last summer. I rolled into the dealership at 4:30 and they got me authorized for a rental car, and the trip interruption benefits. The car was repaired around noon the next day and my reimbursement for the hotel and meals showed up about 4 weeks later. My brother never had a problem with any extended warranty work on his Dart and his dealership always provided a loaner even though they were not required to because he was outside the 100K limit. But they're a good dealer and his family has bought several cars from them.

The dealership I purchased my Charger from quoted me an extended warranty price that was much higher than I found online. I told them I would be purchasing it elsewhere. They dropped their price to within $100 of the online price which I accepted because I preferred to give them the business and that way I could roll it into my loan.

When I purchased the extended warranty on my Stratus I did the same thing. The dealership (a different one) quoted me a higher price, I said that I could get it elsewhere cheaper and walked out after they refused to meet the price. They actually chased me down as I was pulling out of the parking lot to say that they would match the price. Since I would rather a local, family owned, dealership get the business, I agreed.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Here, I edited it for accuracy. :p

UN4GTBL and Christopher like this.
  10. Christopher

That is why I would never recommend a Fiat to my mother. The closest auto C/D/Chevy dealership is about 9 miles away and there is a Ford dealership just before that. The closest Fiat dealership? About 45 miles. Why would I ever recommend a Fiat to her? And where does that leave her when it comes time to buy? My recommendation will be a used 200 with a MaxCare warranty so she doesn't have to worry about anything that might go wrong.

11. Christopher

lol

yeah...I thought it was funny as the girl came running out the door as I was driving past the building. I seem to recall pulling a page from an old girlfriend's play book and telling them they'd have to beat the price at that point, but honestly, the only thing I remember clearly is her running out of the building and finding it amusing.

The dealership has since been sold to a much larger family of dealerships I think and I wouldn't do that again.

aldo90731 likes this.
  12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The nearest Fiat showroom is about 40 miles from us - it's also the site of our servicing CDJR dealer. We are located in a very rural county with the nearest CDJR dealership about 15 miles away (I purchased from them once when they were still a small mom 'n pop dealer - ownership has changed recently). I don't get hung up on having to drive long distances since anytime we need to go to town it's a 35-40 mile trek.

But I do see your point. Why is the Fiat showroom located in less populated town? On the surface it makes little sense.

13. Christopher

You just described the whole Fiat USA experiement.

aldo90731 and Doug D like this.
  14. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

So I'm seeing that a FCA "Fiat" cannot get serviced at a FCA "CDJR" dealership, whats up with that?

15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Food for thought. Why would a CDJR dealer want to go through the expense of tools, parts, training, etc to do warranty work on the least reliable brand in the US?

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Or here is food for thought... allowing service at CJDR dealers could increase scores by making people happier that they could get service at their “local” to them dealership.

Mike

Ian, Bill Sample, danbek and 4 others like this.
  17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Agreed. There is lots of opportunity to improve Fiats standing in the market.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  18. aldo90731

I don't think it is a matter of choice. Dealers made an investment in CDJRF franchises; as bad as the product may get, they are stuck with it.

#638 aldo90731, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  19. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The rules have changed. CJDR dealers can add Fiat without separate facilities. A few in outstate MN did.

Mike V. likes this.
  20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Yes, if you're a brand dealer you have to do the brand warranty work, but I expect that if a dealer doesn't have a Fiat franchise, they wouldn't have an obligation to do any work on Fiats.