Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On FCA US’ carline gaps

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 13, 2017.

1. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

The Malibu is actually not a bad product and sold more last year than it ever has. It just can't compete with the segment leaders' sales numbers. It does still sell enough to be considered relevant to the Chevrolet brand though and it does get good gas mileage.

FCA would be wise to re-enter that segment sometime soon with a product that gets good gas mileage so when gas prices inevitably rise they will at least have one competent vehicle - that is, if they continue improving it based on customer input instead of abandoning it after one attempt.

Ian, AvengerGuy, somber and 1 other person like this.
  2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

So if they are so reliable, why Kia have to recall thousand of vehicle for engine debris (the supposed very reliable ones). Paradox: many are same vehicles of the J.D. Powers last years surveys (three year old models).
    And they agreed to make the recall after dispute with customers.

Why Toyota gad to recall vehicles with rusted frame of Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia if they were so reliable and superior quality?
    note: it is just a small recall of USD 3.4 billion that they made after a long dispute and reached finally a settlement.

Or maybe someone could take a look at 2016 and more recent Tacoma recall due to differential leak. Maybe one will discover that for some it takes long time to get back their truck.

Prabhjot, tlc and ScramFan like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't think its ever been in dispute that other brands have issues as well. However, from the results of the surveys, year after year, FCA brands rank consistently near the bottom which would indicate a higher percentage of issues over all. We can argue the reliability of the survey results all we want (and have!), but this is what consumers see and have to go by when trying to make an informed decision on what to purchase.

valiant67 likes this.
  4. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

Malibu (Mary Barra consider the Malibu from 2011-2015 "a mistake") is not relevant in the category because Chevrolet is weak on the coastal markets that skew the U.S. midsize sales mix.
    Also Fairfax will be at the lowest employment since GM's Bankruptcy: GM cuts shift at Kansas car plant (at http://www.autonews.com/article/20170619/OEM01/170619737/gm-cuts-shift-at-kansas-car-plant )
    Revving Up Production (at https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704304504574610383283040454 )
    Multiple cash dead-ends are not good business.

Prabhjot and ScramFan like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

But the problem is about the "collected data"... real data since some posters post data from forums or other sources to back their judice, many times prejudice (only my opinon of being prejudice).

Than I post data of recalls and associated disputes that brought to recall.
    And this data are indisputable since are official recalls and the disputes are from justice courts.

It is about data.

Prabhjot and ScramFan like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I understand what you're saying. I just don't feel like there is enough info available to the general public. You get the results of the surveys, and the info regarding the recalls, but it becomes difficult to the outsider to be able to put all the info together to get an accurate picture of quality/reliability/customer satisfaction. I have no idea what the solution to that issue would be though.

I'm a data guy. I like more information, and to be able to dig into the results. I think it's part of my DNA, and hence my strong science background. A lot of people though, just want to know what's "good" or "bad" in small sound bytes so they can go on about their business. I need more than that. :)

7. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

We do know all cars break. All cars.

I drive a Mazda; an older Mazda MPV. It has required only normal maintenance. The biggest Ding against it is it couldn't pass Emissions testing in late 2016 because of a burned-out warning light on the instrument panel (an idiot light - not any engine emissions equipment ). The emissions test report indicated that emissions sensed and sampled during the test cycle showed normal acceptable limits. But it cost me 4 months of exploration and over $1000USD because of Regulatory silliness. It's been an exemplary piece of equipment even though I haven't babied it. Minivans are not scintillating products.

In my instance noted above, software was a very minor element.

8. JeepandRams

JeepandRams Active Member

Latest JD Power had Ram better than any Japanese brand in initial quality, Chrysler better than Honda and Jeep almost tied with Honda. Pacifica was best in class better than older less advanced Asian minivans.
    2017 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) (at http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2017-us-initial-quality-study-iqs )

TripleT, Prabhjot and ScramFan like this.
  9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The talk about quality is getting off topic for this thread. This thread is mostly about marketing and filling in (or not filling in) those market gaps. I'm not saying FCA's quality meltdown shouldn't be discussed. Let's keep it to those threads where it's the topic and not on every thread. I know I can be just as guilty with this.:oops:

ScramFan likes this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

It is easier to fill in product gaps if you have a great quality and customer service reputation.......that is why Toyota, Honda and others have easily brought out CUVs and dominated their segments.....and will continue to dominate their segments.

Nobody has ever said that Toyota or Honda were PERFECT with no flaws. They just have a lot fewer quality problems than FCA, especially the Fiat portion of FCA. The numbers do not lie.

Without great quality and customer service, FCA will have an even more difficult time if they ever wish to re-enter the midsize or compact sedan segment. Heck, with their reputation, they will have a tough time breaking into the full-size SUV market with the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. Ford has tried to break into GM's hold on that market and had struggled. Jeep has the name, but unless the quality reports change, how many people will part with $60K+ for a first-year Jeep from FCA?

Ian, JavelinAMX and valiant67 like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

While that is great, we have seen it before. A temporary blip up and then back down in the rankings again.

FCA needs to consistently keep improving its ranking and climb up into the top 1/3 of that JD Power survey.

Bill Sample, danbek and Dave Z like this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I still think this is drifting off topic. Use this thread. All FCA US Brands Improve in Initial Quality (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/all-fca-us-brands-improve-in-initial-quality.168104/page-4#post-1084870885 )
    What FCA needs to do probably isn't happening.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

JavelinAMX likes this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Did anyone mention Sergio killing Dart and 200 yet? :D (Ducks and runs out of room)

DarkSky likes this.
  15. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level 2 Supporter

Numbers DO Lie, when presented in a 'controlled' state.

ScramFan likes this.
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Prabhjot and JavelinAMX like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Numbers don't lie, they don't tell the truth. They are what they are. Humans may misinterpret them, either willfully or by accident...it matters not, because it doesn't change what numbers are.

"Numbers don't mislead people. People mislead people." --Zagnut the Great

danbek, Erik Latranyi and DarkSky like this.
  18. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yes, I saw that. It is sad that the vehicle with lowest warranty claims in the FCA lineup comes from a plant that FCA does not fully own and control.

It truly illustrates the problems at all Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Fiat, Maserati and Alfa plants.

JavelinAMX and 73PlymouthDuster like this.
  19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

But to know the origin of a problem, that could be a design problem of a part, a production problem of a lot, a tolerances problem during manufacturing, an inspection system problem not getting all what should be tested, a share of parts tested too low, an assembly engineering problem for example piece identification, tools defects, misuse of tools by personnel, tools out of specification, ... final inspection not getting that kind of problems, dealer pre-delivery inspection not as procedure, maintenance not done as scheduled, ... would be interesting.

But that data are accessible only internally.

Prabhjot likes this.
  20. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Pretty low count production, but the FiatUSA production numbers aren't all that high either, and they do get negative marks.