Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On FCA US’ carline gaps

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I saw an AWD Dart being tested as well.

2. That is a really good point. Launching Chrysler in China would have been a lot smarter than Fiat in the USA. Look at how Buick is doing gangbusters over there. If the Chrysler 200 and 300 were being sold there along with a Chrysler crossover.... It would have been a licence to print money in China. GM is exploiting another missed opportunity of Chrysler.

Sergio received compensation of $73 Million dollars last year -- Is his incompetence really worth getting paid $200,000 per day? Some of that excessive salary could have gone towards -- actual new product development...... Yet Dodge and Chrysler soldier on years without any new product introductions.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  3. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Ad-Free Member

Neither is the Renegade... my boss commutes 30 minutes all highway and was averaging 12L/100kms (19.6 MPG) in a Renegade, I get 10.8L/100km (21.7 MPG) average in my Hemi Charger...

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Is the Renegade a 4x4?

5. BobbiBigWheels

Ad-Free Member

Should it matter?

6. BobbiBigWheels

Ad-Free Member

A 4x4 Renegade in Auto mode has an electronically disconnecting rear-axle for economy. It should not affect anything regardless on highway driving.

7. wtxiceman

Level III Supporter

My 300 with awd does also but it's rated at 4 mpg less than a RWD version. Probably still drag from the cv joints etc

DarkSky likes this.
  8. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Yeah, but there's still extra weight from the 4x4 system that wouldn't normally be there. That's why the highway ratings for 4WD models are lower than the FWD.

Dave Z and wtxiceman like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

With some cars the AWD version is also taller, which hurts aero — not sure if that's true for Renegade.

DarkSky likes this.
  10. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I think it is slightly taller but I'm not totally sure. Obviously the Trailhawk is, which is why I was curious which model she had.

11. BobbiBigWheels

Ad-Free Member

I understand... but it's a Renegade. It has a 2.4L I-4 Engine. It weighs 900 lbs less than my Charger.

It's competing in a fuel economy conscious space. All of FCA's CUVs need the Hurricane, or whatever next gen 4cyl asap.

Ian and valiant67 like this.
  12. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I understand your point. It is also a taller, far less aerodynamic 4WD SUV.

GasAxe and Dave Z like this.
  13. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

This is a great idea... Not sure about the lower cost, because as you said calculations would have to be made.
    Since they're studying how make the new Alfa Romeo Giulietta (the compact hatchback) I hope that whenever they decide on the platform for that they also follow through with the same paltform and mechanical components to Dodge. I hear they're considering a FWD model for the Giulietta instead of a RWD. So maybe a compact Dodge could also be FWD. In that case it might get the CUSW platform or the Small Wide.

14. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Incompetence is going a bit far... But he's not as good as many people paint him. He screwed over many brands of the group. Since he hits the financial targets he's classified as a good CEO (I disagree with that).
    Chrysler in China indeed was a missed opportunity. They could still do it IMO, but now the chinese market is plateauing and it is much more competitive.

aldo90731 and Ian like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

But everyone says the new CUVs are so efficient that fuel conscious people won't need sedans.

somber and Ian like this.
  16. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I'm guessing speed has a lot to do with it. I see over 3mpg difference between 60 and 65 mph in my Patriot. The small Jeeps with the I4 seem to lose to aero quickly over 60 mph.

wtxiceman likes this.
  17. I remember the salesman sold me a brand new V6 2000 Dakota for its fuel efficiency (over a V8 Ram). It was a red extended cab 3.9 V6 -- and it was a heavy pig that needed the gas pedal planted to the floorboard just to maintain 70 mph on the Florida Turnpike (no hills). Averaged 12 mpg on the highway at 70 mph and struggled the whole way. I would have gotten better gas mileage with the V8 Dakota (the engine would have struggled less in most conditions).

danbek and GasAxe like this.
  18. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

It's not accurate at all to compare fuel economy between two totally different types of vehicles. The Renegade may be driven harder than a Hemi Charger because it requires more effort to get the little engine up to speed, which would reduce fuel economy. Lately, I've been getting absolutely terrible fuel economy from my 3.6 Charger, enough to make me wonder why I even bought it. Driven by a different person in different conditions though, that would change.

Comparing EPA numbers is honestly the best way to compare two different vehicle segments because they are tested in similar conditions. Someone else's fuel economy doesn't determine what you would get in the same vehicle because everyone drives in different conditions.

Doug D likes this.
  19. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

More efficient than in the past which closes the mpg gap between CUV's and sedans. The fuel savings is shrinking dramatically while the added convenience more than offsets the cost for most consumers. Fuel conscious people are buying hybrids/diesels/electric which you can get in many CUV's today which hurts the sedan argument. If/When the mpg gap widens again, the market will adjust accordingly.;)

SRTBrandon and Mr. Fusion like this.
  20. I think incompetence is a fair term. Look at the Dodge and Chrysler lineups from 2009 -- and now look at what is available for sale today. It has been a slow, painful disease as Sergio has basically amputated a lot of good product with no redesigns/replacement. Let's face it -- the Chrysler PT Cruiser was the grandfather of the current crossover craze..... If there was a next-generation model, the Chrysler brand would have been printing money for this whole time. The Chrysler brand was one of the fastest growing brands a few short years ago (based on sales volume), now it is on "suicide watch."

#180 73PlymouthDuster, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    Deckard_Cain likes this.