Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One thing fixed, but more to fix....

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

I have things that need repaired on my daytona. Got a big item fixed on it this week, the a/c. Had to get a new compressor, boy those things are expensive! But it is worth it since now I have a/c back in my vehicle!

Next item to fix ( replace) is the arms on the hatch back so I no longer will need the golf club to hold the hatch back up (if I need to put things back there). I do not use the hatchback very much any more as I do not trust the golf club....

Then there is the subject of the cigerette lighter (no I don't smoke). It would be nice if that would work as none of my smart phone chargers work in it any more.....

Oh well, one thing at a time. If I could just win the lottery, I would get all issues fixed at once! :)

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, at least you are dealing with small issues that are not life threatening or real dangers (other than the lift gate falling on you). They are both relatively inexpensive fixes either way, even if you simply run a brand new wire from the fuse block up to the lighter, disconnecting both ends of the wire, and the hatch repair is easy.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Autozone and Advance Auto have the lift struts for the hatch. Just remember which way they face when you take the old ones off. They just unbolt on each end. They're about $30 each.

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Ditto what Bob said on the Mighty Lift supports for the hatch. And I know it's probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Have you checked your fuses for the cigaretter lighter? If the fuse is okay, odds are that you just need to replace it. They're also available at your local parts stores.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The lighter receptacle on my Daytona was bad when I got it, turned out to be a bad ground connection. Just had to screw the lip of the receptacle tighter onto the body of it. It had been blowing fuses.

6. gnnash

gnnash Member

When I got mine, I had neither cigarette lighter nor rear defrost. A connector under the passenger's seat (had to remove the seat) had corroded badly.

7. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous.. I wish my car was down to little things like that.. I'd just put a new lighter circuit in with it's own fuse.. IF the fuse doesn't fix it.. and grab a pair of fresh supports and pop those in.

8. Scstables

Scstables Member

Thanks on the feedback on fixing the hatchback. Now what type of fuse do I need to get for the cig lighter? There is an advanced auto 15 minutes from me.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

If you direct wire it alone to a spot in the fuse block, a 15 amp inline fuse should be enough to keep it running.

10. Scstables

Scstables Member

I have had my car since it was brand new in 88 and it has been good to me (knock on wood). However due to the age I expect other things to give out soon such as the original water pump, the starter, and any other parts left that are 24 years old. The engine runs fantastic and does not burn a drop of oil so that will be lasting me for a really long time!

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will eventually get ALL of these little issues fixed! :)