Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening the trunk question

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by captn, Aug 7, 2017.

1. captn

captn Active Member

2011 Chrysler 200 - With the window down anyone can lean in and press the trunk open button. Is there a disable for this unless the key is in the ON position?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I guess if I wanted to keep someone out of my trunk, I'd also want to keep them out of my car, so I'd put the windows up and lock it. Just a thought.....

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

1. Why don't you try to open the trunk on the car in question, as you describe?

2. Most modern cars with an alarm system or engine disable feature when the doors are locked (manually or with the remote fob) disable the trunk release button (even with the window glass lowered) The vehicle must be unlocked with a key or the fob for the trunk release button to operate.

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

My Dad had a hidden switch installed that cut power to the trunk button.

He shared your concerns. ;)

Thanks
    Randy

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The JX convertible has the trunk release button under the locking center console lid. I thought that all convertibles had the locking center console bin?
    Therefore I could leave the top down and in order for the thief to enter the trunk, they would have to break the lid off the center console.
    In a police report, that would be written as breaking and entering. A much more serious charge than just reaching in and pressing a button. Unfortunately part of that 'being able to reach in' blame would lie with the car owner.
    The key fob also has a trunk release button. Press twice.
    Other ways into the trunk are rear seat backs that unlatch and fold down. Some cars have a mechanical (cable and lever) release that can be locked out at the trunk latch.

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I looked in the owners manual for the 2013 200 I had and don't see any way of disabling that feature. I never gave it any thought to be honest, but that is a good point. Some of us actually live in neighborhoods where we don't have to lock our cars or even our houses. That's rare, but it's like that where I live. One neighbor even leaves the state for a few weeks at a time and leaves his garage and house unlocked and open. Nobody's ever taken a thing. Honest folks around here. OLD, but honest. And NO HOA. I won't live in a place that has one.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Use to be the remote trunk opener was hidden in the glove box and only active when the ignition was on (except police cars which usually required it to be powered at all times) so you had double security.

8. captn

captn Active Member

Thanks Bob, It's a convertible and she isn't going to put the top up when she goes into a store.
    My point was it shouldn't be active without the key.

chuzz likes this.
  9. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Read page 37 of the vehicle owner's manual for your answer (hint: see post #3 above).

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

My wife's 2012 Chrysler 200 allows the trunk button to operate regardless of lock, alarm or window status. And the owner's manual states nothing about disabling the trunk button. I tested it, it always works.

11. captn

captn Active Member

Mine is the same, just like leaving the trunk wide open.
    Pretty silly idea......

12. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Well, again, if the top is down or any windows open, security of anything is not at all an issue.
    You can't even get a locking glovebox anymore.

13. captn

captn Active Member

Well again.... We just sold a 2006 Sebring and when the top was down anything of value went in the trunk. Without the key or fob you couldn't get in the trunk.

Am going to follow Randy's Dad's idea and maybe snip the wires to this switch, just use fob or the key.

14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

You have a key? The 2012 sedan has no trunk key, it's fob release or the dash switch only.

15. captn

captn Active Member

Our 2011 200 conv has a key lock on the trunk lid beside the license plate.

Topless likes this.
  16. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Interesting. That was gone for 2012.

17. captn

captn Active Member

Thanks Bob and 1999 C5 Coupe for your input. Yes the 3rd post nailed it together with reference pg 37..

My problem was being a new car to me I wasn't getting the anti theft alarm engaged and now using the fob and the theft light blinking to confirm everything gets disabled so with top down you cannot lean in and unlock the doors or open the trunk.

As a note, on all my vehicles I always have a key cut from local hardware store and drill larger hole and install it behind my rear plate. My wife many years ago early hours of the morning driving back a long distance while gassing up she locked herself out of the car and could not find the keys. This ended up being a very costly experience and she was very uncomfortable with the long wait and never wanted that to happen again. Well in a lifetime those thing do happen so the key behind the plate is my answer.

I am in my early 70's and have had this hidden key for probably over 30 years and have always owned 3 vehicles and the keys have never been noticed by anyone. The key can be removed with a dime and cannot start the car. The trick is to well hide the second fob in the trunk which the hidden key will open. In Bobs case where he cannot open the trunk using the key then well hide the fob in the car. I am a fairly careful guy and I not going to tell how many times this has helped me out.

Thanks all....

ImperialCrown likes this.