Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Power Wagon/WC/M37

Discussion in 'Power Wagon' started by Truck451, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Truck451

Truck451 Active Member

I am confused-was the civilian version of the original Power Wagon produced until 1968 alongside later generations of trucks that bore the Power Wagon name?
    Or was it the M37 that was produced until 1978?
    We're the WC and the M37 both manufactured at the Warren, Michigan truck assembly plant?
    Is this the Warren Truck assembly plant pictured in this picture of WC ambulances?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dodge-WC54-ambulance-5.jpg

2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

First, it could have been Mound Road.
    Second, yes, BOTH the WDX-WM300 Power Wagon and Civilian Power Wagons were offered for sale at the same time.
    WDX-WM300 ran from 1946 to 1968 (until 1972 for export to Isreal).
    The Civilian Power Wagons ran from 1957 until the 1980's when they were renamed Power Ram (big mistake) and again in the early 2000's to now. Civilian PW's came in both pickup and Town Wagon sheet metal.

The WC's and M trucks were military and were not technically Power Wagons although they shared some components.the WDX-WM Power Wagons used the 1939 civilian cabs with minor changes until 1972" arguably one of the longest stamping runs in automotive history.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. Mopar_Ja

Mopar_Ja Member

What about the 1/2 ton WC's did they not start in 41' mil use only. also I thought the military started accepting 4wd trucks from Chrysler corp in 1938. or is that what these 1/2 ton were.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

No Dodge carried the "Power Wagon" name until 1946.
    Yes there were WC's and WD's and WM's and M's, but they were not technically "Power Wagons"
    If the serial started with a W, it was 4WD, D, 2WD. These trucks started appearing as prototypes and limited runs in 1938-39, but full swing production did not start until 1942.
    When I get time, I'll post a few links to my photo archives.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  5. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Good topic guys... I have a 1951 M37 Canadian version... Hard top, 251 L motor, interior heater, LU4 winch, 24volt but the issue is getting parts for this truck... yuk.
    I read that the frame is from 1-ton but has 3/4 ton suspension built to army spec. Lots of cool things about this Jeep on steriods ... lol. Doing a frame up restore... is going to be a awesome ride when done.
    The truck I have is the Power Wagon that came out in 57 but civilian body... What I like about this 51 M37 is the winsheild folds down and the top comes off, like a Jeep.
    I do beleive that this truck stop production in 60's but parts where made up untill 78... but I would say that MoparNorm could give more details on that.
    Very cool Truck with a very cool history.

MoparNorm likes this.