AF: OT - any chance of a 3-row ProMaster City? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - any chance of a 3-row ProMaster City?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by sixto, Jul 22, 2015.

1. sixto

sixto Active Member

I saw a ProMaster City electrician van today. The side panels look scalloped for windows but the website shows seating for 5 max and there's no full window van option. Anyone know of a 3-row version in the works like the LWB Transit Connect?

Sixto
    97 GC SE 3.3 247K miles

2. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I figure it will either come with time, or will not due to cannibalizing minivan sales.

3. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Likely it will depend more on how sales of the 3-row/7-passenger Transit Connect does.

4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

After the dust settles, I'd like to see the direction of the new Minivan. Perhaps the Doblo/PMC could be massaged into a nice niche enabling it to have enough of a foot in the people-mover market to plump sales; while yet hitting its stride as TransitConnect business-world competition. I'm intrigued by what can come of the Italio-American Doblo. My usual song about a decent Diesel goes here

.... or is it better over here?

5. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Looks better down here. More stand-out.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think that I've only ever seen 2 or 3 Sprinter window passenger vans over the years. I have seen the Sprinter RVs were mildly successful (these weren't window vans).
    ProMaster and (probably) Doblo will mostly be purposed and marketed by Ram Commercial as cargo/work trucks/forward sections. It may not be good to 'blur the lines' by having an available Ram Commercial passenger vehicle, or would it be called a Dodge?
    In outfitting a truck for passenger carriage, so many more crash/rollover safety standards have to be met that would add weight and complexity that it may not be worth it. It could also reclassify the emissions certification being a passenger vehicle than a cargo vehicle that could make things more difficult. It isn't just a matter of adding seats, seat belts, carpeting, trim panels and windows.
    2nd and 3rd row seats in a passenger minivan whose primary design mission is to carry passengers in comfort and safety would be a better solution IMHO.

7. Stratuscaster

They do offer the Promaster City Wagon with 5-passenger seating and windows. Transit Connect Wagon is offered both in 5 and 7-passenger versions. Of course, Ford doesn't already have a minivan, so it makes sense.

A $19995 PMC Wagon would be a nice lineup replacement for the soon-to-be departed Grand Caravan AVP/CVP.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  8. JavelinAMX

I think I know the answer even before I pose the question.

But I'm wondering if the Qubo could be put through the same Ram wringers and come out the other end with a PMCity Lite sort of thing (with a real name, though)? In Europe, yeah, they have a market space for such things as the Fiorino ... http://www.fiatprofessional.com/com/Models/Fiorino_Combi

If given some NAFTA treatment as what occurred with the Doblo-cum-PMCity would there be a market here, in the States, in a similar way as how it plays in Italy/Europe? (High Roof, a bit extended wheelbase and ruggedized for the span of climates, elevations and roadways found in USA/Canada).

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I imagine if there is room, you could buy an extra seat and bolt it down.

10. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

$19,995....I think is wishfull thinking. I belive the standard Pro master city more expensive then a AVP G Caravan and with all the stuff that comes with a G caravan you can't even compare the 2.

11. Stratuscaster

I'm not suggesting that a $19995 PMC have equal equipment to a Grand Caravan. It would indeed need to be "built to a price."

Those calling for the importance of an AVP/CVP price point would then have an option.

12. stevenspeaking

13. JavelinAMX