Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of curiosity... The 360 LH

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by Tomguy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the 360 RWD LH mules were done up? Were they rear solid axles or IRS? Leaf springs or coils? From the research I can do it SEEMS like a Gen III Hemi is smaller than a 360 so in theory it could have been done in those mules too.

A RWD 5.7/6.1 LH would be a fun project. I am sure some will say it can't be done because XXX but let's assume this is a track-only car and I'm using an LH that'd otherwise be destined for the junkyard, so there is no "It can't be done" and anything is possible. I'm just wondering if any of the LH platform engineers or anyone @ the company at the time knows what was done to make the RWD Intrepids seen on the TV show Viper, for example.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The Eagle Optima concept car had a 4.0L V8 w/32 valves and RWD. It was code-named LH. This article was from 1990 and was fairly accurate in establishing the LH introduction date. The FWD 3.5L/24v H.O. that we eventually got had horsepower numbers competitive to many V8s:
    Popular Mechanics
    At one time I believe that they were contemplating an AWD LH. The 42LE transaxle would have lent itself nicely to a propeller shaft take-off at the rear of the transaxle where the transfer chain was.
    A propeller shaft could have been insulated from and run alongside the exhaust to the rear.
    The Allpar article on the LH mentions the cars used in the Viper TV series, but gives little detail:
    Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler Concorde, New Yorker, and LHS - the LH cars, 1993-1997

Tomguy likes this.
  3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Right, that concept is pretty clearly an Intrepid / LH precursor. I read the article about the LH cars and that is what prompted my question specifically about the 360-powered LH, because from what research I can see (obviously I don't have engines side-by-side) it seems like a Gen III 5.7, 6.1 or 6.4 Hemi is smaller than a 360. Which is what lends the question as to how the RWD mules were setup: Were they IRS with a LX-like setup or were they live axles like Crown Vic sedans? And if they were live axle, did they use leafs in the mules or was it more "Polished" like a consumer-end setup would have been with coil springs (I doubt even in the early 90s if a public would have bought into leaf springs in a brand new platform family sedan). Thanks for the article, it is interesting, but it sadly raises more questions than it answers - for example, what is this 4.0L V8 with 32 valves? Is that what the 4.7 evolved from maybe? I wouldn't be interested in putting a 4.7 under the hood of an LH though, I'd sooner find a way to stick the pentastar into one.

4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not in a spot to find them now, but Bob Sheaves has posted before that in the Viper TV show there were 360-powered cars.

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I remember going to the foundry with one of the engineers on the 4.0L engine program to "massage" some cylinder head cores for the development engines. I can't remember why the engine was being designed and for what use. Maybe it will all come back to me one day!:(

Tomguy likes this.
  6. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

@Bob_Sheaves do you have any info maybe? Anything like how the suspension was done might be helpful :)

7. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

The LH mule cars were done in Highland Park. I know. I worked on them. (was in fuel systems at the time)
    They had IRS in back. Coils, too. That I remember!! ;)

Hope this helps.

Tomguy likes this.
  8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

If indeed it was AWD, IRS would be needed to keep the clearances down and interior space as good as it was.

DC-93 likes this.
  9. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Do you know ANYTHING about how it was done? I know pics are never going to happen but any details would be awesome. I assume it was a factory LH subframe that was modified with an LX-style diff & axles?

10. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

The ones I saw were FWD, but had IRS. Yes, there was "talk" of protecting for an AWD option, but I never saw one in mule form...

Remember - this was back in the 1988-9 time frame. Who thought there would be ANY interest in LH mule cars at the time! :)

11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I do recall that Renault Premiers were cut up and modified for mules! Maybe something there for you to research ?? Good Luck.

Tomguy likes this.
  12. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Bleh, looks like they were FWD not RWD :(

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  13. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Member

Wouldn't the convertible 300 concept car (I think it was called the 300n) shown at the '00 Detroit auto show be a more interesting version of a v8 in an LH body? I think it was RWD - wasn't it? What a shame it wasn't built. I will forever hate Daimler for how they swept what should have been the next generation of 300 under the carpet.

14. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, Mopar Action has a story on it, with a Hemi if not mistaken, story was late 2000 or early 2001 I believe. I have it in my collection somewhere, a nice looking car actually.

15. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Throwback Thursday: The Chrysler 300 Hemi C Convertible Concept
    Interesting, thanks for that info. So based on looks, a 5.7 (and therefore any Gen III N/A Hemi) should fit under the hood with no other visible modifications. Which seems to mesh with my "Quick and dirty" tape measure comparisons of my Jeep engine to the bay in the 300, with the Hemi actually appearing narrower "As packaged" than the 3.5 due to the wide manifolds & cats on the 3.5.

16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

17. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Interesting. So everything I've been able to find would seem to indicate that an existing LH wouldn't take nearly as much modification as some would lead to believe to get an LX rear & Hemi engine/trans into it. I imagine if I wanted, say, the 8 speed, I'd probably need to take a sawzall and hammer to the floorpan and maybe firewall (and do some welding after). Really it sounds like the "Hardest" part would be getting the exhaust & driveshaft in the same tunnel under the car, which again might be solved with some creative cuts & welds.

18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, because the 8spd wasn't invented, the 4spd auto was the trans of the day. Widths would be my greatest concern, anything more than an inch or two would be difficult to offset with rims, but given the engines already sit north/south instead of east/west for the existing FWD, modification of the floorboard wouldn't be too bad, an IRS driveline doesn't require as much room for movement as a straight rear axle, so that's a plus. For exhaust, I would think from the centerline of the car underneath, a simple bilateral semetry (sp) underneath to get dual exhaust would be pretty easy, a couple crossmember supports may need to be notched to keep it as tight to the underside as possible, or, either side of the driveline, then over the IRS and out the back around the gas tank. I don't think there would be all that much real metal surgery to make it happen, there was a 360 in an Intrepid video a couple years back, but it was more backyard butcher job to make it work.

19. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw the 360 Trep. It used a Dakota rear & leaf springs. Not how I'd do it. Of course this is all just wishful planning at this point anyway. Now if I find a wrecked C/RT/SRT LX gifted to my driveway that'd be a different story!

20. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

Get a few guys putting V8 RWD set up in them; and people may start to realize the potential. BTW, if we're going to think big.. Why not think LHellcat?