Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overflow. Easy way to check

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Kristy13, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Kristy13

Kristy13 New Member

Is there a easier way to check the fluid level

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by AllanC, Jul 10, 2017
  3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The 'add' and 'full' marks are easier to see on some years and not others.
    Overflownonturbo.jpg
    Wiping the outside of the white plastic jug if it is dirty may help the level line show better. Gently rocking the vehicle will make it slosh so that it may yet be easier to see.
    If the inside of the jug is scummy, it can be removed and scrubbed out with warm soap and water.
    You should only have to check the level periodically as some water in the coolant will evaporate over time. It should be a 50/50 mixture.
    If there is a coolant leak somewhere, that will mean that you will have to add coolant more frequently. In that case, it would be good to fix the leak.

4. Kristy13

Kristy13 New Member

Thanks I heard you can add a dye to make it easier is that crap

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

A dye can be added to trace a leak, but I usually don't find it necessary with coolant.
    If there is a leak, look for a drips on the ground or a trail from the likely suspects: hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat housing, etc.
    The A/C can drip water (condensate), that's normal.

6. NEMopar

NEMopar Active Member

What works for me is to look at the tank from over the right side fender, and drop a fluorescent droplight behind the left (driver's) side of the tank. You'll see it pretty easily, if the tank is reasonably clean.

djsamuel likes this.
  7. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

This is what I do too.

8. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

This location of the coolant overflow container is very similar to the mounting that my 2003 Neon has. Since it is at the firewall it is difficult to get a good view of the level. As others have mentioned it helps to have a container which has the scum that accumulates on the inside surfaced scrubbed clean. Also I have removed the container and placed a short, thick black magic marker line at the low and high levels. That helps.

Also when checking the level I take a flashlight, remove the container cap and shine the light directly into the filler tube. That helps to illuminate the inside surface and level and then a slight rocking motion identifies the coolant level.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  9. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I did the same thing that AllanC does. It's dang near impossible to clean on of the overflow tanks once it gets funky!

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I like the black magic marker idea.

11. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Take an old toothbrush that you no longer use. Tape it securely to stiff wire such as coat hanger wire. Use very hot water and detergent and scrub. This will get most of the inside surface except for certain narrow areas.

chuzz likes this.
  12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Great idea, Allan. I'll do that the next time I want to clean one. I may be an old dog, but I'm still willing to learn new tricks!

13. gringo

gringo Member

Yep, this old dog appreciates that as well.