Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overhead Lights Not Staying On

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by chuckt, Nov 22, 2017.

1. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Regarding my 98 G Caravan, the interior lights stay on for a period when the doors or hatch are used. Starting a week ago, the overhead lights become lit then immediately go off even though the other lights stay on (their performance is normal). Yet, I can push the lights to turn them on and off so the bulbs must be okay. I assume that only one timer is used to control all the lights. The door lights are okay. So, I am puzzled for what to look.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

How old is the battery? The interior lights on my Ram normally stay on after using the fob to unlock it. After 15-20 seconds they gradually fade out. There was a time they would abruptly shutoff after the 15-20 seconds. I happen to replace the battery and all went back to normal.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The timer is built into the BCM (body control module) that is under the driver's side dash. If the battery is good, try disconnecting and reconnecting it to reset the BCM logic. Somehow something got changed.
    Clean the battery terminals at this time if necessary. Reset your clock.
    Page 156 of the owners manual describes the interior light delay feature and notes that if the key is in the ignition or the ignition is on, the delay feature won't work. Is the key-in switch possibly sticking on with the key removed?

Interior lights are turned on when a door or liftgate is
    opened, the keyless entry transmitter is activated, or
    when the dimmer control is moved to the extreme top.
    The interior lights will automatically turn off in about 10
    minutes for the first activation and 90 seconds every
    activation thereafter until the engine is started, if one of
    the following occur.
    • A door, sliding door or the liftgate is left open.
    • Any overhead reading light is left on.
    • If the dimmer control is in the extreme top position.
    NOTE: The key must be out of the ignition switch or the
    ignition switch must be in the OFF position for this
    feature to operate.

4. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

I should have been more specific. It is only those 2 lights adjacent to the rear view mirror that turn off after a few seconds while all the other lights (overhead on the roof and on the doors) function normally. So, when I open the door, all the lights come on as normally but the 2 lights on the roof by the mirror turn off after some seconds.
    The battery (Interstate) is about 2 years old and the cables where cleaned when I changed the starter about 6 months ago.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The front map/reading lamps are on a separate circuit than the other interior courtesy lamps. On p. 8W-44-2, you will see a fuse-fed Courtesy Lamp Relay, an Interior Lamp switch to the BCM (Courtesy Lamp Driver) and a Front Reading Lamp Defeat switch to the BCM (Reading Lamp ground).
    If the lamp operation is different than it used to be, then something may have 'changed' in this area. Wiring diagram chapter here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...er_Diesel_Versions_Include/english/egs_8w.pdf
    I would try a BCM reset (battery disconnect) first. If that doesn't restore previous lamp behavior, then look over the circuits.
    The BCM does store fault codes that could provide clues with an advanced scan tool like the DRBIII or similar tool and can be configured with customer preferences by certain actions described in the owners manual (or by the scan tool as well).

6. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Imperial Crown. I will try in the near future. Right now, my neighbor and I are preparing to hand a new passenger side door on the G Caravan. Although garaged and babied, the passenger side of the van has rusted (driver's side has no problems). Neighbor does body work and found a silver door in good shape (my van is red) so the new door needs a paint job and the window and door latch assemblies need to be installed. All I can say is: pray for us.

ImperialCrown likes this.