Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

I'm getting ready to replace all of the electrical components including harness inside my 42RE transmission. My truck is a 96 Dakota 4X4 with 3.9 V6. I'm not totally convinced this will solve my issues with it going into limp mode, as I have changed the solenoid and pressure sensor before. It worked for a time, then went right back to the same issue. The only code I get is P1762, which is a voltage issue. I don't believe it's O2 related, as I've changed both out with correct ntk units. Changing the ecm isn't the problem either. I think there is old age voltage spikes going on causing ecm to throw transmission into limp mode. Any ideas?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You have replaced both the governor pressure sensor (transducer) and solenoid?
    Is the 'not upshifting' worse when warm or is it just late 1-2 shifts? The kickdown (throttle) cable is free and properly adjusted?
    P1762 is the only fault code and as far as you know the transmission is in good shape mechanically/hydraulically? No debris in pan and the valve body bolts are tight?
    This is an intermittent failure and not consistently in failure? You may need to test things when it is in hard failure.
    You can follow the Powertrain Diagnostic Procedure test for P1762 as far as you can without the DRBIII. Make sure that you have 5 volts at the sensor and solenoid and good continuity on the return signal wire to the PCM and a good ground.
    Review the 'Possible Causes' list and eliminate as many as you can to narrow down the possibilities.
    See p. 268 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2000_R1_Dakota/R1_Powertrain_Diagnostic_Procedures/ER1_PWR.PDF

3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Yes it shifts fine manually. When you come to a stop, you can feel it shift into low, but at about zero mph, it will shift by itself back to 2nd. If I move it to 1, it wil downshift standing still. Move it back to 2nd it will shift back to 2nd standing still. I have replaced solenoid and pressure sensor before, it worked normal for a short time then back to same. This time, I am replacing valve body, both solenoid and sensor, along with o/d and lockup solenoids and a new harness. That way if it continues, the problem is upstream. One person from another Dodge forum had a similar problem with a Cummins truck and he installed a resistor in the sensor return line to keep voltage under 5v. Never had that issue again. Remember this unit uses a sensor, not a transducer, after 99 they switched to a transducer and never seemed to have as many problems, but even those have issues.