Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pacifica parking brake.

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by Nightowl75, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Nightowl75

Nightowl75 Member

I have a 2017 Pacifica Touring Plus van, with about 15000 miles. I actually got it in July of 2016. Let me first say that I hate the tranny knob shift. I was wondering if that parking brake goes on automatically if you were to bump something, being something in my garage. Having vehicles that have the shift lever elsewhere, I just forgot as I was backing it up just a bit to put something in the refrigerator in the garage. So doing this, I used the knob, for reverse, no problem, put the stuff in the refrigerator, then pulled ahead so I could get the garage door closed. for some reason, i pushed on the push button to shut down the engine. Well it did'nt shut down, and I bumped the refrigerator with the license plate holder of the van. Okay, stupid me. but when I tried to back it up, It felt like the parking break was on. Looking down, the light was on. Is this a safety feature of this van? It has just about every option as the Limited, but when we ordered it, we did not want the roof panels or the sunroof. The refrigerator is fine. This is our traveling vehicle, so it doesnt get used very much except on long trips to the Southwest. Thanks

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The owners manual probably has a write-up similar to this. Both the ignition must be on and your foot on the brake pedal in order to release the parking brake. A key cycle would have latched the p/brake.

ELECTRIC PARK BRAKE OPERATION

• EPB can be applied with ignition off
    • EPB cannot be released with ignition off
    • Brake pedal must be applied when releasing EPB
    • Switch is Hard Wired to ESC module. No bus communication is used between the switch and the ESC module
    • EPB switch has built in redundancy and failure detection software in the ESC module
    • EPB does not require 12V power to maintain clamp load
    • EPB can be used to secure the vehicle automatically (Safe Hold)
    • Motor performance is continuously monitored by ESC module.
    ELECTRIC PARK BRAKE SELECTION
    • Auto Park Brake mode is customer selectable via Touchscreen Display.
    • Selection is latching through key cycles.
    • Drive Away Release is always enabled allowing the driver to automatically release the park brake by stepping on the gas pedal.

[​IMG]
    • EPB Engaged is indicated by the traditional red BRAKE warning lamp
    • EPB Faults are displayed by a new EPB Fault Tell-Tale
    • Numerous EVIC Text Messages provide appropriate driver information regarding EPB status
    • EPB Fault lamp flashes continuously when in Service Mode
    • EPB Controller stores approximately 30 DTC’s to aid in system diagnosis and repair

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

WOW......don't see electronic gremlins hiding there.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There are fail-safes and redundancies built-in. Plus the Drive-away release is always engaged. It should never strand you.
    Electronic parking brakes may become necessary on the newer vehicles because of the 'roll-away' and 'slipped out of Park gear' incidents that have taken lives and caused injuries.
    I suppose that since most people never apply their parking brake when parking, the car now has to do it for us.

5. Nightowl75

Nightowl75 Member

Thanks for your reply. I guess I don't drive it much, so if I did everyday, I am sure I could figure it out. Ya, I have the 600 page manual, and I haven't figured out how it parks itself, so just may go to the dealer, and get one of the guys to show me. The manual didn't help too much, but I couldn't find it in there. I will have to do more digging I guess. Really have had no problems with it, other than a couple of recalls, but that is about it.