Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pacifica "tech Support" Forum

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by skidsmadawg96, Feb 3, 2006.

1. JoeBine

JoeBine Guest

I got my 2005 Pacifica last February 2006.
    It had 52000km and now its got 57000Km. I need to change the oil.
    I hate havint other people working on my vehicule I got screwed so many times by different garages that I like to do my oil changes myself and other little thinks like change the plugs and air filter.
    But this is my first real luxury Van/SUV.
    I had chevrolet Z24 cavalier and toyota corolla doing those things were easy because they were small cars.

I already been told not to put K&N filter in a Pacifica because of the increase of air flow it might trigger the engine light for different reason.
    I been reading the forum about the platinum plugs I guess I will put original plugs just to be safe.
    So I can see that the Pacifica is a lot more complex then my previous cars. So I will not play around with it by putting higher end parts. Even my oil Im scare to go to synthetic.
    I didnt have any issues yet it run perfect.

I will have to bring it to the dealer for the transmition fluid but I will be standing next to the car while the mechanic will be doing it.

I do have a question I have extended warranty if I change the oil myself and keep the receipts that shouldnt
    affect my warranty correct?

2. DakManPA

DakManPA Guest

2004 Pacifica AWD, 37,000 miles, bought with 36,000 miles

Problems: (knew about them all when we bought it.. hence the great deal we got)

-EVIC dash display not functioning
    -PCM flash for "crazy fuel gague syndrome"
    -Sway bar end link, Passenger side, replaced

3. danj

danj Guest

I HAVE A 2005 AWD LIMITED WITH 19K ON THE ODOMETER AND ITS BEEN THE SHOP FOR:

1)POWER TAKEOFF UNIT
    2)STEERING RACK
    3)BOTH FRONT CONTROLS ARMS
    4)SIRIUS SATELLITE RECEIVER REPLACED

I Will be glad when my lease is up in 2007

4. DSMLVR

DSMLVR Retired Chrysler Employee

NOT TRUE. I have been running a K&N in my 2004 for alittle less then 2 years and no light here.

5. JoeBine

JoeBine Guest

Really its the dealership that told me that maybe they just want my money.
    thanks Im going to try it then,

6. LAMRONH

LAMRONH Guest

Hi all, new here. I'm probably going to buy a Pacifica within a few months.
    I've seen a lot of discussion of this leakage problem on Grand Prix forums. Often the problem turned out to be there was no cabin air filter and a bunch of crud had piled up in there and had somehow caused water to find its way onto the floor. More at Club GP.
    Anyone here with the 3.8 vs. the 3.5? It sounds like the 3.5 doesn't get the MPG as advertised. What's the experience with the 3.8? It's rated at 18/25. I have a couple of 2005s located. Thanks for any info...

7. LAMRONH

LAMRONH Guest

Yeah, that sounds like a dealer urban legend to me.

8. ramron

ramron Member

Dear LAMRONH:

We have a 2005 base Pacifica with the 3.8L with about 10K miles. We recently vacationed in New England and Eastern Canada and rented a Pacifica Touring with the 3.5L, and I have a 3.5L HO in my 2002 Concord. The rental Pacifica and our 2005 both performed well.

My opinion is that the 3.8L is a better choice for the Pacifica. It has a little more oomph off the line, but the 3.5L has more passing power. You pay for this in MPG. The 3.8L does get 25 MPG highway. I can't compare the vacation miles because most included stop and go too, but averaged 19 MPG overall - good. Maintenance will be easier on the 3.8L, no timing belt to replace and the spark plugs are right there.

The Concorde performs well with the 3.5 HO. It gets 26 MPG highway and overall average is 19 - 20. I also trailer my 2000# boat and the Concorde does well. Of course, the Concode weighs almost 1000# less than the Pacifica.

You know, either engine does a good job. Take your pick of the engines, just find the one you like best.

9. LAMRONH

LAMRONH Guest

Thanks for the feedback, ramron. I appreciate it.
    Are you related? Our screen names seem to be.

10. Scott F

Scott F Guest

Unless you are buying used, I would wait until the '07's arrive.

11. springbank18

springbank18 Guest

I bought an '04 FWD Pac in May of this year and I love it - it has not given me any reasons to complain and it looks and drives great. Other than regularly scheduled maintenance (and 1 outstanding recall on the power seat), it has not been in the shop. I have been watching the web for any common issues with Pac's, but have not seen any major reocurring problems. I think these are great vehicles!

12. Joekeith

Joekeith Guest

What was the fix for the EVIC?
    I have the same problem and have been told I need a new Instrument cluster.
    $400+ Repair.

13. Andreas E.

Andreas E. New Member

Hello everyone! I used to frequent the minivan forum quite often until our T&C died this year and we bought an 05 Pacifica Ltd AWD. My wife loves it. I put a K&N filter in it (no lights on either.) My only concern is a clacking (or popping) noise when you take off, from both the front and the end. Our T&C used to make a similar noise, but only once and not in corners. The Pacifica has just shy of 50k miles on it. Could the CV joints already be going out? Or is it the same (non-issue) issue from the T&C that's part of just how the transmission works?

Other than that, we're happy with it. I put on a U-haul hitch and mopar trailer wiring. The hitch is made by Valley and all you see is the square draw bar opening. On a different forum I read that the Pacifica does not need an auxiliary cooler, that it is rated at 3,500lbs towing from the factory. Can anyone here confirm this? We would like to tow a tent trailer or ultralight travel trailer in the future and make sure I don't kill the tranny.

Thanks all!

Andreas

14. hhogenka

hhogenka Guest

Four CEL in four weeks!

Every Monday for the last month, my wife's 04 Pacifica AWD Limited had a CEL (code called out a small vacuum leak). No impact on driveability or starting. Car has about 36k and has extended warrantee.

Each time, she went to the local dealer, who we paid $36K for this thing (she loves it, me less so...):

1st time: Dealer said "Small vacuum leak", replaced the gas cap and reset CEL
    2nd time: "Small vacuum leak", replaced a vacuum hose and reset CEL
    3rd time: "Small vacuum leak", replaced vacuum check pump (?) and reset CEL
    4th time (yesterday): "Small vacuum leak, saw smoke at leak when we checked with smoke", replace another vacuum system component and then told my annoyed wife that leaks were because "rubber gets old, like tires :blink: "

You gurus have any ideas on what is going on here? Emission vacuum leaks should be covered by EPA-mandated 100K mile emission warrantee, right?

Thanks,
    Harry

15. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

They did not find the right leak the first 3 times.

I had a 1996 Camry with the same issue. Took it to a different dealer the 5th time, and got if fixed.

They should start with the smoke test, but they can charge more if they just use hit-and-miss.

16. drewdane

drewdane Member

My wife is a service writer at a D/C/J dealership. I read your post to her, and she said, without hesitation, "He got ripped." My guess is a lazy service writer, or an especially smooth-talking technician. (the techs make more $ from customer pay repairs than warranty repairs.) It's probably too long ago to make a difference, but next time I'd make a bigger scene.

17. Pac2005Nu

Pac2005Nu Member

any update on the EVIC fix?

I just traded my 2005 Touring in on a 2007 Base AWD, and the only issue is I think the car needs some dealer prep work done. After sitting out in the cold for hours, it sometimes stumbles and cuts off when you first pull away. Additionally the EVIC does not provide compass, mpg, and distance to empty and it should according to the manual. Anyone else have this issues and ggot it fixed?

18. Pac2005Nu

Pac2005Nu Member

I ran my 2005 Touring AWD for 89500 miles and had zero issues with it. i then traded it for a 2007 base model with AWD and the 4.0L engine - what a difference in performance and mpg.

however, This model has does not have so me of the features i got used to - and that is where I have a bit of a rub. The EVIC does not show compass and mini-trip data, like the touring , even though it has all of the feature setting in park. Doees anyone know how to get those features to wotk? I went to the dealer service and they told me i did not have even the Tire Pressure reporting installed, which was incorrect as when I picked the car up, it informed me via the EVIC, that 2 tires were low. I put air in them and it went from 3 tires low to 1 tire low an I filled that one to 35 pounds and then the alarm cleared on that one too. So it seems my dealer's service department missed the fact that I have Tire Pressure sensors installed and they do send info to the EVIC (okay the body computer), and it is reported to me? i also loked at the Power Center and it has all the correct relays instralled, with nothing missing. So it seems that I might be ablre to turn on at least the mini-trip feature, and get the parts to turn on the compass, if they are not already installed. Now one thing I have heard in the past is that the Overhead Console has the Mini-trip computer in it, and if that was true, then it may be possible to replace the overhead console with the one that is installed in the Touring and limited. But I have not verified that this is the case. In my 2005 AWD Touring, I did install the AutoDimming Rear View mirror, and there was an additional wire stowed in the head liner, but it was not connected to the overhead console which seemed to only provide control of the reading lamps, the garage door opener, and control of the sunroof. It did not seem that unit had any other capabilities. I thoght its involvement with the mini-trip computer was a stretch but I could be mistaken.
    '
    Anyone know for sure?

Regards

19. Pac2005Nu

Pac2005Nu Member

Well I did a litle research and found out the Compass/mini-trip module is a module that is inserted into the Overhead Console. what I will try to find out next is whether or not the cable running to my roof is more than power to the console. If it is more than just power, then I may be able to add the Compass/mini-trip module. If that works then there is probably a cable that comes off of the CMTC module that connects to the AutoDimming mirror as per the 2005 CS Pacifica Service Manual. I am gonna speak to a dealer I know about this soon and see where it takes me.

wish me luck!

20. Pac2005Nu

Pac2005Nu Member

Well, i found out how much the parts cost new for the addition of the console equipped with the Compass/Mini-Trip Computer - $1600! LOL!. So I am looking for one from a wrecked car and hope to pay way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay under that for it. However, using my VIIN number the parts dept was able to price out the parts, so apparently it can be done.