Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Past and Current Chrysler/Fiat Sales Persons Anecdotes

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by BobbiBigWheels, May 13, 2017.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

@GaryS @redriderbob @aldo90731 @DarkSky

I saw a few of us sharing our own anecdotes from working in the industry with FCA, and being just over 2 years in the industry, loving my job, my product, my career - I'd love to hear about your time in the industry.

Floor's open!

TommyDodge and Devildodge like this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I started working four years ago at a local dealership that sells both CDJR and Chevrolet products. After two years, I became the "Internet Coordinator" for my dealership and I oversee the website and inventory management, special pricing, promotions, vehicle media, etc. I don't have experience selling cars since my job focuses more on the marketing end of that, but I do enjoy taking pictures of all the cars we get, even used ones from other brands. It gives me an opportunity to get a feel for how the vehicle drives, the features it has, and whether or not it feels like a quality product.

Working at a car dealership is a unique experience, one that I think a lot of people get the wrong impression of. I feel like salesmen in particular get a bad reputation for ripping customers off. I'm sure there are a lot of salesmen out there who truly don't care about customers, but the ones I've worked with all really just want the customer to get the vehicle that's best for them. Maybe that's just a benefit of working in a small, rural town, but that's the way it ought to be everywhere.

I don't really have any interesting stories to tell, since my job mostly consists of online stuff. Since I do have experience with both GM and FCA products, though, I think I can say that between the comparable Chevy and FCA products, the FCA one is almost always the better car. Almost all of my coworkers drive an FCA product too, including the owner and his wife, so that should say something about the quality of product compared to Chevy.

I'm interested in hearing from other people who have worked at a dealership and have more experience than I do.

3. jwp44

jwp44 Active Member

After a 26 year Army career I worked for 17 years at a CDJR dealership starting in 1994; I started out in the service department writing service tickets because prior to my Army service I had the same job at a Chevrolet dealer; in 1996 the warranty administrator job became available and I chose that job; I remember the problems with minivan transmissions--we replaced so many under warranty that the techs considered a trans replacement job as 'gravy work'--meaning they could replace a trans much quicker than the warranty labor time allowed for the replacement; if warranty paid 3 hours for replacement, that is what the tech is paid, no matter how long it took to complete; I can't remember what generation Jeep GC had the noisy rear differential--we replaced boat loads of those also; as warranty administrator I was paid a small base salary plus 1/2 of one percent of all warranty work paid to the dealership by Chrysler; the reason I mention this is because around year 2002 my yearly income began to decline so much that my base salary had to be increased; warranty work declined that much; folks complain about FCA quality, but take it from someone who worked in the 'front lines'--quality is much better now than in the 'good old days'. I never worked in sales but I saw many sales people come and go; and they were all good people; it is the hardest job at a dealership in my opinion; I retired a second time from the dealership about 6 years ago, but still get all my service work done there;