AF: Patriot owner | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriot owner

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by RonGD, Jan 12, 2015.

1. RonGD

RonGD Member

New here. Patriot owner since '13, FD I. Recently traded in for a '15 FD II

PCRMike likes this.
  2. RonGD

RonGD Member

image.jpg

'13 FD I

dreinecke and PCRMike like this.
  3. RonGD

RonGD Member

I am curious to know how many FD II Patriots are produced as opposed to FD I? It seems like the FD II pats are and have been scarce.

4. JTE

JTE Well-Known Member

Can't speak to the numbers, but will ask, how does the low range feel? I bought the I because that's what met my needs at the time (2009).
    Probably why more II's aren't sold because people don't understand what they're paying for, or need the gearing. Most are sold as FWD.

5. RonGD

RonGD Member

I found that when Patriot first came out, the take rate that Jeep believed would be met was 10 %, meaning the FD II would be at around 10% wanted by those shopping for a Patriot. As far a FD II, I have used it sparingly, but it does seem to work well, giving the Pat some grunt to get over things. Having the low range, the skid plates and other off road items is why I wanted an FD II. I can do trails with more confidence. Coming from a 13 FD I patriot that had the CVT, having to have CVT in the FD II is no problem.

6. WXman

WXman Active Member

From everything I've read, the new 6-speed auto has a 17:1 ratio in first, whereas the CVT2 "low range" gives you a 19:1 ratio. So, there is basically no gearing advantage at all to the CVT on the FDII models anymore. Also, the 6-speed has a 4.71 first gear and the CVT has a 2.60 "first gear" so in traffic the CVT feels sluggish according to reviews. Further, the same coil springs are used on both now so you don't get extra ride height with the FDII package anymore either. So you're paying $800 for tow hooks is what it kind of boils down to.

I'm in the market myself and I'm looking at Jeeps and Nissans and from what I have gathered, the Patriot with FDI is the best deal on the market right now.

RonGD likes this.
  7. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

The first gears may be different, but the final drive ratios are also different. The FDII overall gearing is lower. It's sluggish due to the nature of the cvt, not the gearing. Also, in addition to the tow hooks there are skid plates, bigger alternator, modified TCS and additional water sealing.

RonGD likes this.
  8. WXman

WXman Active Member

Yeah I misspoke. I mean the final drive ratio is 17:1 with the 6-speed and 19:1 with the CVT in "low range", thereby effectively making no difference for offroad use. But on road, the 6-speed takes off with a ratio that's double the CVTs...so in theory it should feel a lot snappier. I have been trying to find confirmation on the door sealing differences and can't find any. I do know the diff breathers are in the same spot. True on the skid plates.

9. RonGD

RonGD Member

Patriot has a lot of incentives attached to it now. Oil cooler on FD II along with the 17" wheels with the goodyear OWL SR-As
    There is a difference on the water sealing, let me see about the article....go to wardsauto.com and see if u can pull up the article on trail rating the new Jeep Patriot. Article was written way back when, but it explains what Jeep did to make Patriot trail rated. I dont have the reference anymore

#9 RonGD, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I really liked the 'baby' Grand Cherokee looks of the re-styled Compass when we looked at new Jeeps in 2011, but the dealer could not barter on price.
    Out of all the offerings on the new car lot, the MK Patriot was the best value and had the best 'bang for the buck', besides the KK Liberty which was being discontinued.
    Friends have been happy with their Patriots, except for the rear wheel opening rustout that is showing up on some older ones here in the salt-belt. The older Compasses and Calibers don't seem to have this issue, but I have received my letter from Chrysler for a front and rear crossmember rustout inspection on my 2007 Caliber.
    I hope that the newer ones have had this issue resolved.

11. dreinecke

dreinecke Well-Known Member

The daughter liked both but the Patriot reminder her of her XJ. I do wish they put the GY Wranger SRAs on the auto FD 1 equipped ones. The Firestones are not very good on ice and snow.

RonGD likes this.
  12. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

"Low range" simply locks the cvt in "first" gear. There is no alternate range like in other Jeeps. Thus your statement of no real difference for off-road use also applies to on-road use. The takeoff ratio is the same as the off-road ratio.
    Not just door sealing, but electrical sealing as well. Also I forgot the oil cooler that was mentioned. I've added most of the "trail rated" equipment to my FDI.

13. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Having done light off-roading in an older FD-I Patriot I can see one advantage of the L selection on the FD-II shifter. On roads with abrupt camber changes the inertia of the shift knob sometimes causes the FD-I version to self-shift out of ratio1, resulting in less compression braking down hill and less torque at the wheels up hill. I learned to quickly recognize the change in engine sounds and tachometer reading. It helps to turn down the music on really rough places.

14. RonGD

RonGD Member

With my FD II when shifting into off road low mode, the hill descent kicks in and the ESC (traction control) goes off. Both of these happen automatically. This also happens automatically when a situation develops and the system recognizes it. Yesterday I was in a ditch trying to get out with 4 wheel drive engaged. I didn't do nothing, but the system recognized the situation and went into 4 L mode, then I was able to get out if the snow filled depression.

15. RonGD

RonGD Member

Still haven't seen if there will b a '16 Patriot or just sell down the existing stock. With the rumors around that compass/patriot will come out as one vehicle, it will be an interesting future on these two platforms.

16. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

AFAIK, Renegade is the Patriot replacement.

17. RonGD

RonGD Member

I see Patriot had their best February ever for sales last month. Those incentives are clearing existing stock.....

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup. I am tempted but I'm still looking at used... though AARP discount shows a new Sport with AWD and a/c for $16,000 (plus 7% tax) at a dealership I don't normally buy from. That's about the same price as a used one!

RonGD likes this.
  19. RonGD

RonGD Member

That's too good of a deal to pass up!!!

20. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

I don't think there were any sticks among the hail-damaged 2014s at Woodhouse. Eastern Nebraska or Western Iowa would have been a long way to go to take delivery. Some of my extended family in the High Plains or Intermountain West would see a few hail dents on anything with a Jeep logo as a badge of honor --- they wouldn't reduce the value.

RonGD likes this.