AF: Patriot "Severe" service interval? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriot "Severe" service interval?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by link3721, Nov 14, 2019.

1. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Took my Patriot in to address an electrical/transmission code that popped up after a day of off-roading the other day. I'm at about 124k miles and had the transmission filter and differential fluids services at 104k miles. The service manager mentioned a 15k or 30k severe service interval for the differentials and transmission (can't remember which applied to which) for towing/off-road use (I've unfortunately only been off-road 3 times since the service). I don't recall anything that severe being mentioned in the owners manual which I believe only mentions the 70k differential service and the 120k transmission service, both of which I've been doing about every 50k. Anyone else heard of this?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If you are using Mopar synthetic hypoid fluids (ATF+4 is a synthetic blend), a severe service would be prudent about every 60K?
    15-30K sounds too soon, but his job entails selling service work also. Follow the severe/police/taxi schedule 'B' in your manual.
    I might do a first fluid change at 30K for a baseline and 'break-in' oil change, then every 60K thereafter?
    However, these fluids can be changed whenever you want for peace of mind. My 2¢.

link3721 and Doug D like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Regarding "severe" service schedule, my older vehicles had a "A" schedule (Normal) and a "B" schedule (severe). My current vehicles only list one service schedule. However, the severe schedule was to be followed if the vehicle was driven under the listed conditions (long idling times, driven in severe cold weather or at high speeds in very hot weather, a lot of short trips or stop/go driving, etc) it qualified for the "B" schedule. Even though we live in a rural area, the high speeds in very hot weather put my vehicles in the "B" schedule and not the "A" schedule like one would think. Suffice it to say it doesn't take much to fall into the severe schedule.

4. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I've only ever had the dealer do the transmission and differential services, so they should be the proper fluids. I think I'm going to stick to my 50k changes.

Got the Patriot back, fortunately the issue was a fuse that got triggered in the gearshift assembly and not a more severe issue. Must've happened when I had the electrical issues (bad battery, inadvertently ran it down with the winch and the alternator had to do all the work)