Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCM pin question 1996 Dakota

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Adventurer55, May 31, 2016.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Does anyone have a diagram and wire colors for a 96 Dakota PCM?

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

3. Adventurer55

Allan, it is a 3.9. I have looked at that pin out, and my colors don't match that diagram. So I figured a Dakota must be different. I'm mainly looking at the center harness, it says the 5volt supply should be orange, I have no plain orange, just one with a black stripe and that's for some else. Any ideas?

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Go to this comment made by a contributor on this forum.

gas gauge & sending unit

Scroll to the post made by Imperial Crown on Apr 24, 2016. There is a link to a pdf file which has the wiring diagrams for a 1998 Dodge Durango. Download the file and go to page 8W-80-44 thru 46 and see the pinout reference at the PCM.

I compared this pinout diagram with a diagram posted under AutoZone repair help for a 1996 Dodge Dakota V6. They were almost identical with a few wire color differences. See if this wiring diagram for a Durango will match up to the 3 connectors at the PCM on your Dakota.

5. Adventurer55

S
    Some colors match, but I need to figure out which one in particular is the 5 volt feeder wire.

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

If you look at the wiring diagram for the 1998 Durango there are only 3 wires in all 3 PCM connectors which have a description of volt supply. Connector #3, cavity 11 is a 12 volt supply to the cruise control so I am thinking this is not the one you need? I did research against a 1996 Dakota wiring diagram in a Chilton's library and was able to confirm cavity positions and wiring colors depicted below.

connector # cavity gauge wire color description

PCM Connect 1 17 18 VT/WT 5 VOLT SUPPLY cam position sensor,
    crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, MAP sensor

PCM Connect 2 31 18 OR 5 VOLT SUPPLY vehicle speed sensor

PCM Connect 3 11 18 YL/RD 12 VOLT SUPPLY Speed Control to speed control servo

Attached Files:

7. Adventurer55

Allan, thank you so much for the help. What I'm looking for is the 5 volt wire/pin that supplies the the transmission solenoid.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Why would that be 5V? Isn't that powered by 12V?

9. Adventurer55

No it's only five volts.

10. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

In the wiring diagrams for the 1998 Durango look at page 8W - 1. In the table of contents look for transmission control system and then automatic transmission. On page 8W-31-2 is the desired schematic. Looks like PCM connector #2 provides 5 volt power to the transmission in addition to the vehicle speed sensor.

11. Adventurer55

Thanks Allan.

12. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

92 Dakota uses 12 volts to the lockup and overdrive solenoids. Would be very strange if they changed that to 5V.

13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

So, what is the issue? Is it not shifting into lockup, or 4th, or is it failing to release the lockup when you slow/stop?

14. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Look at the wiring diagram for the 1998 Durango. On page 8W-31-2 it shows the wiring between the PCM and transmission and the power distribution center (PDC) and transmission. The 5 volt reference originates in the PCM and travels through PCM connector #2 at cavity #31. It powers the governor pressure sensor and the transmission fluid sensor. Another diagram shows it providing power for the vehicle speed / distance sensor.

The transmission control relay in the PDC controls battery voltage to the transmission for operating the solenoids that apply and release hydraulic pressure for engaging and releasing clutches inside the transmission. This is the comment that Bob L referenced.

As Bob L mentioned, what is the transmission issue?

15. Adventurer55

If I was certain what the issue is I could fix it. I believe I have a voltage issue that gives the pcm the impression that there is something wrong with either the governor pressure solenoid, or the pressure sensor. The lockup and overdrive solenoids work fine. If I manually shift the transmission it shifts fine. It just won't do it on its own, but after a restart it will one time, then back to limp mode. I believe I'm getting a voltage spike in the 5 volt line that the solenoid uses to shift. That is where my 1762 code is coming from. Cummins trucks of this vintage had similar issues, and they put a resistor in the voltage line acting as a fooler to keep it from going into limp mode. I have replaced all the electrical components inside the transmission and it still does this. So it's something else causing the issue. One thing I have found is that not many people have a complete working knowledge of these years of transmissions. It effects all units from my 42RE clear up to the 47RE. Many owners can't get them fixed because no one can help them, so they just accept it. I'm not that way. Something is causing this and come hell or high water I'm going to find out what it is. I've replaced all the electrical components, o2 sensors, different pcm, nothing changes. If the voltage goes even a tiny bit above 5 it will trip limp mode.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  16. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Do you have a handheld scope available? Can you put the truck on a lift and drive it in gear, and monitor that 5V line?

17. Adventurer55

Bob, no I don't. But what I just recently found is a local transmission shop that seems to know quite a bit about this unit. I live in Tennessee where many Jeeps are. Since these use the same unit, he has worked on many of them. He believes like I do that it's not inside, but something else. So since he does have the tools and a lift, I think I'm going to let him work on it. With that said, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    This is a good truck with under 100,000 miles on it and everything else works and is in good shape and best of all, it's paid for.lol. I have a soft spot for Mopars that no one wants and can't fix.

18. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Here's another trick you can try: Get a 5Vdc source that can provide several amps, cut the wire in the truck and connect it to the source, and see if the problem goes away. If not, re-splice the wire and look elsewhere.

19. Adventurer55

I'd like to do that. I just have to find the right 5volt line. All the pin diagrams I've seen indicates that a solid orange wire is the right one. But on this truck I don't have a solid yellow wire on the center or "white" harness.

20. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

It should be a 5V source that can supply a decent amount of current. Using the 5V supply that goes to sensors, for instance, may blow a fuse, since solenoids draw a good spike of current when they first actuate.