Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCM pin question 1996 Dakota

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Adventurer55, May 31, 2016.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

The circuit at the transmission controller that the OP is trying to power only controls the governor pressure sensor and the transmission fluid temperature sensor. These would be very low current draw circuits. The various solenoids that control pressure in the transmission are controlled by the transmission relay in the PDC and its separate circuit to the transmission. Review diagram page 8W-31-2.

I am puzzled about the mismatch in wire colors from the 1998 Durango wiring diagram and your vehicle, a 1996 Dakota. Is it possible that the engine and/or wiring harness has been switched from another Dodge vehicle (different model year) and the connectors are the same but the wire colors are different?

The only other 5 volt reference source at the PCM is connector #1, cavity 17. This powers the cam position sensor, crankshaft position senosr, throttle position sensor and MAP sensor. You could rig a wire from this cavity and power cavity #31, PCM connector #2 and see if the problem disappears. Would that be excessive load on the PCM connector #1, cavity 17 circuit considering the number of sensors?

Have you checked all of the male and female terminals and connectors that are involved? Dirt, corrosion could be causing voltage drops and maybe that is what is causing the transmission controller to enter limp mode?

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Keep in mind a 1996 Dakota was the last of that generation and the Durango would be based on the new 1997 Dakota's platform.

I think they use different style connectors to the PCM.

3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

The pcm and the connectors are the same as the 97 and on. I am wondering since this was the first year for OBDll and the last year of the first generation Dakota if wire colors are indeed different. From 97 on colors seem to be all the same. I believe the pin number is the same, I'd like to figure out the color first. All terminals appear to be clean. This 5volt circuit only controls the transmission governor solenoid.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Have you witnessed the 5 volt line going high? Since you mentioned fault code P1762, I would begin by reviewing the 'Possible Causes' and follow the troubleshooting on p. 268 here. You should be able to do all tests except those that require the DRB III:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2000_R1_Dakota/R1_Powertrain_Diagnostic_Procedures/ER1_PWR.PDF
    Be aware that this may not be an electrical problem and could be hydraulic or mechanical.
    Connector pinouts and wire colors for the 2000 AN JTEC are in the back of the diagnostic manual.

5. Adventurer55

Imperial, I have not personally watched the voltage spike. This unit may have had things done to it before I bought it. My tech is going to put a new valvebody, pressure sensor, governor solenoid, lockup and overdrive solenoids and internal harness. I want him to check hydraulic pressure readings to see if it has been altered. Once these things have been done then if it still acts up he will move up the line towards the pcm. At this point more of a process of elimination.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

That's shotgunning. Expensive and doesn't always reveal what's wrong.

7. Adventurer55

Bob, I understand that. I already have all the new internal parts, so I'm going to have them installed. Once done then those can be eliminated. Since I don't have all the diagnostic equipment it will have to be done this way I guess. My local dealer is zero help. I asked them if they would hook it up to their machine and their response was, it's too old.

8. Adventurer55

Update. Replaced the valve body, installed all new sensors and solenoid pack, new harness and bands adjusted. So far so good. Fingers crossed.