Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peek inside the 2019 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I don't actually know for sure but there are a lot of changes between that and what the original design for the 1500 was supposed to be considering they are from around the same time. And the front end design features are better suited to a midsize pickup. Look at that grille, there is no trim on or around it. The grille frame is molded into the body panels which would be perfect on a midsize truck but an odd choice on a 1500 when the majority of vehicles purchased have chrome grilles. This would require "stick on" chrome trim and I don't think they're going to do that.

This, plus some comments I've seen around here lead me to believe this is an early design for a Dakota.

Orsalak likes this.
  2. Don W

Don W Active Member

That's actually really insightful I never even thought about that. Good thinking.

Orsalak and DarkSky like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That is your personal opinion. I hate the look of the 2018 Durango R/T and SRT with the new grill.
    I detest it. I went to look at the new ones and ended up with an old one, though I'm sure I could have swapped out the 2018 grill.
    As you can plainly see, there are always multiple side to styling discussions.

Bajanbuoy, somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  4. Don W

Don W Active Member

I see where you're coming from. Taste is subjective and for me it's kind of a borderline thing on the durango but on the challenger, charger and viper I stand pretty firm. I could care less because I have no interest in buying one (durango). I just like distinguishing between performance and casual. (SRT vs SXT).

5. Ramburger

Ramburger Active Member

I could not agree more. I just do not see that "big rig" look in this truck, but we have about 12 days left for the relase! Hopefully it changes my mind then.

UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  6. Ramburger

Ramburger Active Member

I have to disagree, the corner gap is still visable in the camoed bumpers that have been shown as well.

7. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Active Member

So what kind of surprises does anyone think that we have in store? Split tailgate? Possibility of the Hurricane 4 with a 8 speed? What will the Rebel bring?

8. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That is true, but it’s caused by the chrome bumper angling inward at the top which is a very strange design decision because it makes it look like a gap. And it caused the painted area look like an “overbite” on top of the bumper because it is flush with the bumper itself, not the angled part. If that makes sense... it’s visible in the angled pictures that aren’t taken straight on.

VoiceOfReason, Ramburger and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Trying so hard to just lurk this thread, so close to reveal.

That bumper shadow/gap whatever is weird. Something is off even on the first red truck spy shot. Its not the bumpers fault either.

Overall its a safe design. Getting excited about coke bottle shape isn't far off of all the excitement the rear window flare caused. All of the manufacturers offer deeper sculpting.

If design had impact/strength it wouldn't have a bunch of grills thrown at it. None of the new grills make any statement, all are ok. A modernized cross-hair should carry over tapping established recognition.

I like change, positive.

What is revealed and how improvements are phased in will be interesting.

I'm sure this truck will do fine.

haywaj and Ramburger like this.
  10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Many keep saying the new Ram looks like a Tundra, justo look at the año new 2019 Ford Ranger Made un Thailand.

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Is Ram testing an inline 6 cylinder diesel of about 4.3 liter? If yes, for which model?

12. Don W

Don W Active Member

Nope. They already have the 3.0 ecodiesel. The inline 6 will most likely have a set of twin turbos. Expect that for the 2020 model year.

13. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I believe the gap is made to appear smaller than it actually is by having the bumper and fascia piece meat at an offset angle as opposed to having 90 degree corners. That said, there’s still going to be a gap needed as this is a BOF vehicle.

UN4GTBL and Ramburger like this.
  14. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I just don't understand why does FCA have a hard time giving potential buyers what they want. Give us the option of having the cross hair grille. Just make a grille option. The more I see the horizontal line ram lettering grille the more I don't like it and it looks too much like the competition. I do understand that it's just my opinion but the cross hair is what made the design unique now its a blended cookie cutter look ala gmc like.

15. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

I do believe when that truck goes on sale here it will not be built in Thailand. Michigan will be the assembly sight.

16. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Ram should always have the cross hair grille as an option. It doesn't make sense to discontinue it.
    I understand why it's not needed for Dodge, but Ram must keep the cross hair grille.
    Heck, the grilles of the Silverado and F150 are the way they are because Chevy and Ford had to find a grille design unique to them. Something that ram always had. Now Ram won't have it? Then the 1500 becomes dangerously similar to the Toyota Tundra or Nissan Titan.

17. Don W

Don W Active Member

Yeah man distinction is good especially when you have something like a massive grille like the RAM. Innovation can be good but in the right places like the engine, interior, etc. I feel like we're approaching the competition's grille design way too fast. If the design ain't broke don't fix it. If you want the new grille then that should be an option. But if you want the crosshair, that too should be an option. And yeah there are going to be some similarities between the tundra and the RAM but I still think it will be distinct just enough.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

VoiceOfReason and Deckard_Cain like this.
  18. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good morning. Perhaps I missed it in a post, but did Ram officially say that there will be no cross hair ? Thanks in advance. I personally will wait to comment on what I have seen so far because pictures can be deceiving & I remember being on the fence with new charger & once I saw it I really liked it. MOPAR Always!

DAGAR, ScramFan and BASONE88 like this.
  19. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Not officially, but many insiders have repeatedly stated the crosshair grille is dead and to start accepting that now.
    That said, many have expressed objections to that approach and have stated their preference in favor of it.

Ramburger, ramajama and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. adrianp89

adrianp89 Active Member

I think talking about the cross-hair should be banned in this thread.

ramajama, DAGAR, Zachary and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.