Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peek inside the 2019 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Sep 28, 2017.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Or prep for the RamBox.

2. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

Not for 2012 in the 2500.
    2012 Ram 2500 towing chart

The numbers improved after it got the 6.4 and had the suspension changes (2014 I think).
    2017 Ram 2500 towing chart

I am curious what the next generation of pickups is going to bring. The straight 6 is sounding promising, and an upgrade (hopefully) to the Hemi's.

hotmach and suzq044 like this.
  3. WXman

WXman Active Member

The F-150s with the 3,200 lbs. payload are VERY specific trims and configurations. They will be as rare as hen's teeth on the roads. Most 1/2 ton full size trucks currently on the lots have payload numbers between 1,100 and 1,700 lbs. Once you fill the truck up with a family of 5 and camping gear, you'd be astonished at how fast you can eat up your payload capacity. Then you hook the trailer or camper onto the bumper and you'll over limit. It happens fast.

There is a need for more payload because 90% of the time what you want is light weight and fuel efficiency, but during that 10% of the time when you want to go on vacation you want to be able to take everything along with you and not worry about being over limit.

Some would argue that the 3/4 ton trucks fit that segment, but the 3/4 ton trucks all still get miserable fuel economy and "feel" huge. Very different experience from a 1/2 ton.

Ram says people shopping 1/2 tons care more about ride quality which is why miserable payload ratings are acceptable. Everytime I see one on the highway with the nose up in the air and a camper on the bumper I think they need to re-prioritize.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Jared26

Jared26 Active Member

No worries, I didn't take it as an attack at all, I'll do a list as it's easier for me that way.

-Lifter tick on startup, I even took a video of it. (Dealer assures me this is normal, I've built engines I know exactly what it is and that its not, and no it's not the Hemi tick either)
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7q-0AlTKyQ

-Vibration at highway speeds, (knew it was a wheel/tire issue) after multiple attempts from the dealers I ended up buying new wheels/tires out of my own pocket $$$) and it went away.
    -Interior rattles all over the place (ongoing)
    -Manufacturing defect in the left rear door glass where there was a crease down the centre of the glass and a glass shard sticking out of the glass (rear glass was eventually replaced)
    -Air leak at the passenger front door (weather stripping was replaced, truck returned to me with weatherstripping improperly installed hanging off and plastic trim not snapped back into place)
    -Drivers heated seat back portion didn't work, (eventually replaced heated seat pad)
    -Drivers front door glass has fallen off track and into door 3x, (replaced window regulator last time, hasn't happened since.)
    -Cruise control stopped working (replaced steering wheel switches, has been fine since)
    -Heated steering wheel doesn't always work (dealer says no issue)
    -TPMS system freaked out once saying tires were low when they weren't (cleared itself up after a couple days)
    -Metallic rattling sound when sunroof is open (haven't been in for it yet)
    -Grinding sound when turning steering wheel (haven't been in for it yet)
    -Passive entry/key fob have completely stopped working at all a few times, opening the door and using the lock button on the door panel brings it all back to life (haven't been in for it yet)
    -Paint is garbage (dust nibs embedded in the paint, horrible orange peel)

I think theres a few other things I'm forgetting, this was supposed to be my 10-15 year truck, I've had it 13 months and its been into the dealer at least 13 times. It then turned from my 10-15 year truck to my until the warranty runs out truck and the thought of bringing it back into the dealer again has me tempted to just trade it in and wash my hands of it instead.

FCA has been on a roll lately, at least design and interior wise and I believe DT is going to be as good as you guys say it is, I'm just a little hesitant to purchase another Ram after this one, even though I am excited for DT and I do want to see it and see the specs. Even though it's financial suicide to dump this one so quickly I'm tempted to just for my sanity.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

^ first thought on that whole deal, is have you called FCA corporate (number is usually in the manual)? At least this way they can track how many times you've been in for the same problem(s), and see what the dealer is actually doing about it. Maybe get it lemon'd.

6. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

Damn, that’s rough. I would say that DS was developed at the tail end of the Daimler Chrysler marriage/beginning of Chrysler Corporation by Cerberus. Basically pre-FCA.

Everything I’ve seen, we’re doing everything we can to eliminate those little annoyance issues pre-launch

UN4GTBL, Jared26 and wtxiceman like this.
  7. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Those cameras in the front bumper, interesting. So too are the tires, very aggressive street tires.

8. Jared26

Jared26 Active Member

I've emailed FCA and basically got told to pound sand, no lemon laws in Canada where I live either, anything FCA would do for me would be out of their own goodwill which I don't see happening.

That's fair enough about when it was developed, at the same time they've had a lot of time to correct issues like this with running production changes. One thing I've seen since I bought my truck and started having the lifter tick is it's becoming increasingly common for Hemis to have a lifter seize up and eat the camshaft, it would be nice to hear of them changing to a higher quality lifter in the hemis.

Im glad to hear about the care being put into DT, if I like it there's a good chance I'll be picking one up in a Laramie limited trim level to replace mine, but that would only be after going over it with a fine tooth comb and doing an extended test drive. If not then it's over to the Blue oval for me.

GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

That’s fair. I appreciate you willing to give us another chance.

UN4GTBL and Jared26 like this.
  10. Jared26

Jared26 Active Member

Like I said with mine it's love/hate. It's the best looking truck/has the best interior/drives the best, 8 speed is awesome and I do like the Hemi for the most part although I think it needs a power bump to compete these days. I expect all the good traits to continue and get better with DT, quality wise hopefully mine is the exception and if I do buy a DT I'll have a completely different experience but if I don't it will be my last.

Also I'm sure that everyone on the DT team deserves a thank you from us Ram fans, so thank you for all your hard work in ensuring you guys give us a class leading truck. Everyone that was on DS deserves a pat on the back, 9 years after it first came out it's still a very competitive truck.

somber likes this.
  11. thebluegoat

thebluegoat Active Member

Are they cameras or sensors? Look like sensors to me.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Same here.

Oh, they'll happily give you a case number, but that goes nowhere sadly.

thebluegoat and Jared26 like this.
  13. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

I thought they were sensors too, but now I'm beginning to wonder

14. Jared26

Jared26 Active Member

I'm pretty sure they're sensors, I think we just might not be looking in the right place for the cameras.

Mallard likes this.
  15. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Thanks for posting the charts. At the "being truck" game Ram is playing catch up big time. As for lux grocery getter they excel.

Your bang on.
    I opted for a Hemi in my 2500 due to only pulling 6000-ish lbs. Wheelbase is a big factor as well.
    If i opted for the Cummins my payload would have dropped to 2290 from 2360 lbs. and gained only 3000 unneeded lbs towing for the expensive upgrade, similarly equipped.

The 8speed with the Hemi's is ridiculously over due.

16. adrianp89

adrianp89 Active Member

I would expect the camera to go under the "A" in "RAM"

UN4GTBL and Mallard like this.
  17. pensfan

pensfan Active Member

I have the exact same thing at startup with my '16 Ram. It lasts about the same time frame as yours. It isn't just a cold start thing. If I shut the truck off and restart a minute later, the lifters are noisy. I had an '05 Ram with the Hemi and it didn't make this much noise. It had the tick occasionally. I use Mopar oil filters so it shouldn't be the oil draining out of the filter. What is the cause?

18. Jared26

Jared26 Active Member

Poor quality lifters that are bleeding down instead of holding oil. I don't find it a coincidence that since 2010 especially lifters seem to be failing around the 5 year 100k mark in turn wiping out the cam.

I had an 05 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi and never had this issue.

19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Hemis are not the only Chrysler V8 to ever do this. LA engines did the same thing for years, especially if you shut off a warm engine and restart it. My 3.9 in my Dakota does it from time to time. I use synthetic oil, so I don't worry so much about it. An old mechanic told me years ago that noise upon restart was a characteristic of hydraulic lifters. Are current Hemis equipped with hydraulic lifters as well?

20. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

My '14 Hemi use to make the same noise the first yr when I had the dealer doing the oil changes. I took over after noting they were using an aftermarket oil filter and not a Mopar one. Since I now use the Mopar oil filter and Pennzoil syn oil, it has stopped with only a rare occasional lifter tick noise at startup. I would say 98-99% of the time it is now quiet at startup with now 60K on it.