Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentastar oil filter bypass valve broken, Dorman replacement

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by george w, Sep 16, 2017.

1. george w

Level III Supporter

If you own a 2011 through 2013 Chrysler product with the Pentastar V6 you will likely experience a broken retainer for the oil filter bypass valve when the oil filter is being changed. The valve is plastic and is under pressure with a stiff spring behind it. The plastic fatigues and breaks away and the valve and the spring typically go flying when the filter is pulled out. Chrysler requires that a entire new filter/oil cooler assembly be purchased for several hundred dollars and a couple of hours labor. Dorman products now make a repair kit, p/n 917-992 that for under $ 30. provides a two minute permanent fix. My local quickie oil change facility didn't know about this rather common failure which is rather surprising since I would have to believe that all the Pentastar engines in this model year range will experience this failure eventually.

I would recommend that everyone that has a 2011 through 2013 buy one of these kits and keep it in the glove compartment. Don't count on your mechanic, quickie lube joint or certainly the dealer, to be aware of this recently introduced Dorman repair kit. Thanks Motor City Mechanic !

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.
  2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Good info!!

I bought one a few weeks to keep on hand now that the car is past warranty.

I'll be doing my own oil changes from now on.

The Dorman part is very flimsy but it looks like it will work when the original snaps off.

Thanks
    Randy