Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PH8A oil filter fits 300m (who knew?)

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by MoPar~Man, Oct 8, 2017.

1. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Member

Maybe this was something that I discovered or read in the past, and then forgot, but I was changing the oil in the 300m yesterday and tried a PH8a and it seemed that there was plenty of clearance for it. Original-size filter is PH16 I think (shorter, by about a 1/3 or even 1/2, but same diameter, screw fitting, etc).

Unless there's something I don't know, I think I'll use the 8A next oil change. Anyone else use the 8A size for the 3.5L LH cars?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Member

I'm not suggesting that the 5281090AB crosses to a PH8A. The 5281090AB obviously crosses to the PH16 (based on external dimensions if nothing else). What I am suggesting is that if more filter is better (from a cleaner oil, better flow, longer lengevity or even oil-cooling point of view) then there's nothing stopping the use of a PH8A - at least not for physical clearance reasons. I can't find much on the net regarding the 3.5L and alternate oil filters, but there is a Dec. 2013 thread on dodgeintrepid.net where user "bh1992" claims to use the 8A exclusively on his (I guess) Intrepid. I think he's claiming the 8A will fit both the 3.2 and 3.5L. He said: "On a 3.2 / 3.5 I have heard other people state that the longer filter won't fit but I find that to be a load of crap considering the only time my car had a PH16 size filter on it was when I bought it."

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

This was discussed several months ago:

Pros or cons to using a larger oil filter on 2.2 or 2.5 that came with the teacup size filter? (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/pros-or-cons-to-using-a-larger-oil-filter-on-2-2-or-2-5-that-came-with-the-teacup-size-filter.167851/ )

The larger size shouldn't be a major issue. You might find that the level on your dipstick might be a few hairs lower after an oil change than with the shorter filters. However, I'd been warned agains using the basic Fram filters. Some discussions on the bobistheoilguy web site show cut-outs that help explain why.

DC-93 likes this.
  5. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

I would never subject any of my vehicles to an orange canister of death. I admit I have used the TG series of filters, when they come with the oil change sales - but I will never use a PH series.

That being said, if you want to be cheap, I believe PH8A is a Ford filter, so you should get the Motorcraft equivalent if you're buying, say, from WalMart. They are actually a VERY high quality filter for a VERY low price. Better than the Fram TG filters. I put the Motorcraft one on my Avenger.

DC-93 likes this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Steer away from Fram. Get MoPar, Wix or Purolator! :cool:
    (Wix and Purolator make the OEM MoPar filters, BUT to a higher spec than over the counter.)

7. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

I have been using a PH 8 filter on my 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE with the 3.3 liter for many years. When using the speced PH 16 filter I can only get 4.5 quarts at the full mark. So I have a half quart laying around. With the PH 8 I can put in 5 quarts.

There are no problems with any clearance issues on this van when using the PH8 filter.

The other day I was wandering around a O'reillys auto parts store and was looking at the oil filters. Wix has something called a Wix XP which is synthetic filter media. I have been using the Purolator Pure One which is synthetic filter media.

8. pt006

pt006 Active Member

A 2.2 [ph 3614] and a 2.5 [ph 16] use different filters. Hope I'm not repeating.

9. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Has Chrysler changed suppliers? Because at one time the Mopar oil filters were made by Fram.

10. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Yes, years ago.

ka9yhd likes this.