Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking up an Avenger R/T 3.5

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by Tomguy, May 4, 2017.

1. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Anything to be aware of?
    My first plan is to replace the timing belt & water pump unless I have service history showing it was done.
    Second plan is to check the ATF, and do that if/as needed.

Anything common? Uncommon? Thanks!

2. Merle Kyle

Merle Kyle New Member

I'd run synthetic oil and a high quality oil filter. Also, while replacing the timing belt, replace the hydraulic tensioner, especially if you have a 3.5L V6. That engine is an interference engine. I have 229K on mine and original motor and trans. It's an '08 R/T. Only issue I really have with is the EGR valve needs to be replaced. Stumbles when it's cold. They get carboned up. I flush my power steering, brake and antifreeze fluid every 3/100K. Changed the fuel pump (with another Mopar pump) back in January before I ran from Michigan to Alabama, to NE Virginia and back to Michigan. Didn't miss a beat. Pump was still working within spec, but at 200K or 10 yrs, I ALWAYS change the fuel pump. Don't like to be stranded by such. (The battery is in a bad spot. A real pain to change, but I've done it 3 times so it has gotten much easier, but just not convenient). A good fuel system cleaner is not a bad idea neither. Also, 80K or higher mileage I'd seriously consider a tune up too. You didn't mention if it's a 2.4L; 2.7L or 3.5L engine.

3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Sorry, the subject was the engine: It's the 3.5L V6, same in my 300M with nearly 210k and I got it for a pretty good price. Mine doesn't stumble cold, even though I know the EGR is very dirty (I've pulled the mani & seen it). I buy the kit with the belt, pump, tensioner & pulley to avoid having to do the job twice. I only use syn oil and ATF +4 :)

4. Merle Kyle

Merle Kyle New Member

I made the decision to buy the hydraulic tensioner, serpentine belt tensioner and timing belt from the dealer. (Good decision). I bought the water pump from a national chain (lifetime warranty you know) and the pump starting leaking 52K after install. I was p.o.'d so had to do it all over again less the hydraulic tensioner and 47K later, thus far, not a bit of trouble. Second pump is a Mopar part. I took the original belt to 130K, second belt replaced at 182K (due to that doggone water pump failure), and put on a new timing belt and another serpentine for good measure. Good engine and good car. Still can dog out from a light, when pushed.

#4 Merle Kyle, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. Merle Kyle

Merle Kyle New Member

(See the subject now. Been an Allpar fan a long time, but it's been 15 yrs since I wrote on this forum. Dave's a great guy though, for keeping this going.)

6. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Picked it up today. Battery was not 100% dead but not enough to crank (or even a rapid click - just 1 click). Put my charger on, started it and drove it off the dolly into my driveway. Every light is on and the gear selector was showing I was in every gear. Hoping it's just the low battery. Sounds great though!

7. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Anyone have the Avenger JS service manuals? I found 2007 but it appears to be Sebring exclusive. I don't see bits about the Avenger trims etc. Did they just come with a basic grey key or the integrated key? I just got a basic key.

8. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Avenger came out in 2008. Also, they had the integrated key as far as I know. I have a 2013 and it does have that key.