Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pictures from Fast Eddie on Dodge Intrepid Nascar program

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Fast Eddie, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Thanks for sharing Eddie! Much appreciated.

It's too bad Bill Davis turned out to be a snake in the grass.

Mike

2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Yes there is..................out of that group picture two of us have retired............the 4th guy from the left, Pat Baer, heads up a small group of 3 guys doing SRT, Hellcat, NHRA and Viper engine programs. The rest of the guys are working on production engine stuff at the engineering center.

Jerry Simcik and Beentherebefore like this.
  3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I have a couple of baseball caps celebrating the first Dodge win..................if you want one send me your info and I will get it out to you.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It was a big deal down here in Atlanta when Dodge came back to NASCAR with the Intrepid.
    With Bill Elliot being local and running a Dodge Intrepid, Dodge got much more coverage on the Sunday AJC sports edition on Daytona Sunday than anyone else. Special writeups on Elliot and Dodge's return were nice features.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Post them here if you still have them lying around.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Like an idiot I never saved the articles. I'm tempted to see if I can find the archives in a local library when I get the time.

7. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

Wow. These photos bring back a lot of memories. I must have been 12 years old when I watched the debut of those beautiful intrepid racing cars. That's what originally got me into nascar. I have the entire 2001 lineup in 1:64 scale. I even have a 1:24 scale model of the primer-grey dodge test car!

Good memories. It even got me here at Allpar.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Before Bill Davis crawled into the snakeskin and started wriggling, he did provide the car that gave Dodge a very big moment at Daytona........

Burton wins bizarre Daytona 500

Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002
    By Mike Harris
    Associated Press
    DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Sterling Marlin should have stayed in the car and left the repairs to his crew.

[​IMG]
    The two-time Daytona 500 winner blew a chance Sunday to make it three, handing Ward Burton the biggest victory of his life.

Following a late red flag, Burton won a three-lap dash to the finish line for his fourth career win in 251 starts.

''A lot of what happens here is atmosphere and luck,'' a jubilant Burton said. ''We had some luck today.''

Marlin, who received hate mail and death threats from people who blamed him for the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt at last year's Daytona 500, appeared to have the win wrapped up.

With six laps to go, Marlin had spun out leader Jeff Gordon as a pack of cars crashed behind them, then beat Burton back to the yellow flag by less than half a car-length, to grab the top spot.

NASCAR stopped the bizarre, crash-marred event to give the remaining leaders a chance to race for the win. With the cars halted on the backstretch, Marlin unbuckled his seat belts and climbed out of the silver No. 40 Dodge to check out the damage to his right front fender.

He started to pull the bent sheet metal away from the tire, but an official warned him to get back in his car. That little attempt to fix the damage was enough for NASCAR to penalize him for what it called an illegal pit stop, sending his car to the rear of the lead pack after the restart.

''I tried to get it pulled off, but NASCAR didn't like it, and they sent me to the rear,'' said Marlin, who wound up eighth.

Burton called the last three laps ''nerve-racking.''

''I didn't even look at the flag,'' he said. ''I wasn't going to stop. When the other guys backed off, I backed off.''

As Marlin drove slowly into the pits while the new leader took the green flag on lap 196 of 200, all the contenders behind Burton began to race two-by-two and even three-wide, letting the leader pull away. He crossed the finish line 0.193 seconds -- about three car-lengths -- ahead of Elliott Sadler's Ford.

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

11. hemi_magnum

hemi_magnum Well-Known Member

I miss those Intrepids more than I ever thought I would. Was and still is such a cool name for a car.

Memories of playing NASCAR Thunder and wrecking the Fords. lol

finc.jb and Jerry Simcik like this.
  12. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that the original intrepid racing car that debuted (autoshow?) looked very different from the car that was raced...??? It looked way closer to the actual production car.

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Nothing unusual there...............

Nascar "showcars" often look more like their showroom counterparts than the actual race cars do. The real trick is to get the good track performer to resemble the showroom car as closely as possible.

14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Kimble10d (500x294).jpg Kimble1d (500x294).jpg David Kimble, a pretty famous artist, did cutaway drawings of some of the original Dodge Intrepids showing either the chassis by itself or the car over the chassis. They are really awesome. I have them on my computer but they are very large files. If anyone wants any of them let me know and I can send them to your own private email.

MoparNorm likes this.
  15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Sweet!!!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but some here may see a resemblance in our Ultra 4 Jeep.
    We are the only one built like this and we believe we are the safest car out there, having rolled several times over 80 mph with only a broken mirror.

[​IMG]

#35 MoparNorm, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Jerry Simcik likes this.
  16. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

You broke the mirror....................that's disgusting!!!:(

MoparNorm likes this.
  17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Hey Norm,
    My oldest son lived in Chandler Arizona for 12 years. He bought this new in 1998 and upgraded it over the years because he liked camping out in the desert and getting dirty. He moved to Portland 5 years ago but he still has the Jeep. Has over 100,000 miles on it and it runs great. Engine is stock except for a complete Borla exhaust system. DCP_1470 (600x398).jpg

MoparNorm likes this.
  18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

IIRC, this was the car driven by Stacey Compton that sat on the front row for the 2001 Daytona 500. The crew chief for the team was a fellow named Chad Knaus.

[​IMG]

dyslexic teddybear likes this.
  19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

LOL!
    Those mirrors have a hard life. I think we lose one per race,
    We rolled 4 times in one crash, we know because the GoPro stayed on the entire time!
    It scratched the paint and put a small dent in the hood...but we ended up on our wheels.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter