Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pittsburgh tools: are their bearing/gear separaters any good?

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Bearhawke, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Short story is last night I bought these guys: Large Bearing Separator (at https://www.harborfreight.com/large-bearing-separator-3979.html )
    and one of these sets: Gear Puller Set 15 Pc (at https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/gear-puller-set-15-pc-62958.html )

Typically; I buy Snap-On or Matco stuff but, with the rapidly improving quality of Chinese sourced tools, I'm got a big problem paying 3-4 times as much for equipment I'm less likely to use every month plus, I'm running hard on retirement age as it is.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

As long as the tool steel is harder the bearing race, you should be OK. I have been buying Harbor Freight merchandise lately and they seem to be better quality than they were years ago.
    I have been disappointed in Craftsman lately. I used to be sold on the lifetime warranty.
    I never saw any reason to buy Snap-on except when they were the only company offering a specific specialized tool that I needed. Their shiny show-chrome wrenches were slippery when I had oily/greasy hands and I preferred a better grip for hand tools.

djsamuel and Bearhawke like this.
  3. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I've heard essentially that same thing about HF in just the last few years as well.

4. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I have used a few Pittsburg small hand tools like their box ratcheting wrenches and their 1/4" drive ratchets and for typical driveway mechanic use they seem pretty good. I think they are Taiwan made which is sometimes a bit better than China made.....

Bearhawke likes this.
  5. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

The last time a friend and I were in Harbor Freight looking at the Pittsburgh Tools my friend commented they have a lifetime warranty.

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Bought one a couple weeks ago and it seems to work just fine, no issues with quality.

Bearhawke likes this.
  7. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have a set of the metric deep well sockets. I've had them for about 2 years now and like them. I haven't cracked one yet like I did with a couple of craftsman sockets. Hmmmmmm. Me thinks the craftsman tools have lost some of the quality control they used to have since these appear to have been made in China and NOT the USA.

djsamuel and Bearhawke like this.
  8. David Eidell

David Eidell Well-Known Member

Seems to be a important to use good grease on the spindle threads before the 1st yank job. My old stand by Owatonna Tool Co, OTC has gone the path of many USA companies and now charge an arm and a leg and an eyeball and it's out of my reach. Don't forget to dab the floating pilot center.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yep. A little spray of WD-40 really helps out when removing and installing new pressed parts.