Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP ME EMERGENCY Pt Gt Problem STUMPED! HELP!

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Pt Guy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. The Haverstraw Man

If you believe the coil is good then I would also go back to stock copper plugs and gapped to the spec on the sticker on your car. I had put double platnium in my 07 and on a trip from Atlanta to NY I fouled out two spark plug at the South Carolina and North Carolina boarder at 2a.m....... The dealer that installed the correct plugs said that platnium plugs do not fire as hot as the copper plugs do which caused the misfire. I would do a Seafoam treatment. If you do not know how to do it just go to you tube and watch some of the videos.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If the PCM has chosen the #2 cylinder failure code more than once. I would look very closely at the #2 cylinder.
    General fuel or spark fault codes will pick and choose between the 4 cylinders at random.

3. Mel Stephenson

Mel Stephenson New Member

By the way on earlier models, the crankshaft positioning sensor is on rear of engine and much easier to change. Mine is 05 and the part is in front behind the starter and awful to change..

4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

New Allpar user Mel Stephenson writes:

"I had similar problem w/05 non turbo touring, I put in new Mopar crankshaft positioning sensor and finally it is running fine. Make sure you get Mopar or you might have to do it again. You have to take out air cleaner, then remove battery, then remove bracket with 5 bolts, then take starter loose with two bolts.....then slide starter to your left...and finally you can get at and remove and replace the sensor....still not easy....cost for part is about $50."

5. offroaderdodge

fuel pressure regulator.

my 2.2 lebaron couldnt run platinums,my understanding is they fail under extreme heat and pressure.
    something breaks in the plug.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Copper plugs offer a much better burn. Copper conducts electricity and heat better than other metals. Platinum spark plugs may outlast the plug wires. The recommended change interval for copper is 30K miles (50KM) and platium is 100K miles (160KM).
    Platinums can cause driveability issues in some cars. Iridium is probably overkill. Always use the spark plug type recommended on your underhood label or in your owners manual for best results.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2583605

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/copper-spark-plugs-vs-iridium-and-platinum-understand-for-top-performance

7. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Those of us with the 2.4L in the JA cars found this out as well - folks fell for the marketing hype regarding platinum plugs and found that in the 2.4L engine they simply did not perform well at all.

I've always used a good quality copper plug in mine - coming up on 189000 miles...

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Platinum is only a plating, not solid tip, on these plugs. Conductivities are not significantly worse than copper, when it's not solid platinum being used.

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yes, it's hype if the manual does not specify platinum or double platinum plugs. Our previous minivan, a '00 T&C Ltd 3.8L, came with double platinums and ran fine with them. The distinct advantage is they can last 3x as long as a copper plug - I actually went 148K on the OEM plugs on the T&C. Even after a major tune up (plugs, wires, air filter, serpentine belt, EGR, fuel filter) mileage as the same and my seat-of-the-pants sensor couldn't tell any difference. Anyway - with such a tight engine bay that the Gen III's had the double platinums were well worth it. I would not want to have to change the plugs on that vehicle every 30K - the front 3 are okay, but the back three are nightmare - especially with a AWD unit.

On the other hand my '06 Ram's Hemi has good ole copper Champions. Recommended to change every 30K miles. Had the dealer change the first time at 35K ($250). I should have changed them again around 60-65K, but didn't get around to it until 137K was on the odometer. Engine never ran rough though the fuel mileage had dropped a little - maybe 0.5 mpg - hard to tell as I had installed new tires with a more aggressive tread at 111K miles . This time I did the plugs (3 hours of my time changing 16 plugs was worth the savings). Funny thing was the clerk at Advance tried to sell me Iridiums. He got a quick education about using anything but copper plugs in the 5.7L Hemi. Oh and it's at 169,000 and counting.........getting closer to a 200K frame........

10. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Been running platinum plugs in my PT for 10 years. On my second set now. No problems.

11. Theodore

Theodore Member

still sounds like a bad PCM. Was the one you bought new or remanufactured? PT's are notorious for bad PCM's and for not working with remanufactured ones after you hit the drive cycle which is about your distance and time

12. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I would tend to follow I C suggestion. Too many parts swapping causing too many variables to change in trying to diagnose this problem.

As mentioned the short term fuel trim is a key monitor. If there is a vacuum leak that is causing the air - fuel mixture to become too lean, the oxygen sensor will notice that and report an extremely lean signal to the PCM. The PCM in its internal logic then increases the fuel injector pulse width incrementally to get the oxygen sensor to report a rich air fuel mixture. But an extremely lean mixture will cause the PCM to increase the pulse width on the fuel injection to a high level (fuel trim 20 - 30% positive) which can cause poor running and drivability. So you need to look at the oxygen sensor signal along with the short term fuel trim value. If the oxygen sensor is constantly less than 0.45 volt and never goes above 0.45 volt (always lean) and the short term fuel trim is constantly pegged at positive 20 - 30% (and never drops below 0%) then a vacuum leak is a possibility. Incidentally if there is an intake vacuum leak, as you increase the throttle opening from idle to 1500 - 2500 rpm, the short term fuel trim if pegged at positive 20 - 30% will decrease and move towards a more normal range (less than 10%). That is a definite clue if the situation is caused by an intake manifold leak.

It is also possible that you could have an exhaust leak near the upstream oxygen sensor. More oxygen in the exhaust stream (external leak) fools the oxygen sensor into reporting a lean air - fuel mixture to the PCM. And you get the same scenario as mentioned above; the PCM incrementally increases the pulse width of the fuel injection (richer mixture) to try and get the oxygen sensor to report a rich air-fuel mixture condition.

Monitor the oxygen sensor readings and short term fuel trim at idle and at 1500 - 2500 rpm and report the values.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  13. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

This guy had this problem back in 2013. The PT he is talking about might be in the junkyard today.

Crawdaddy likes this.
  14. Pt Guy

Pt Guy Member

Oh man I totally forgot to update you guys lol Better late then never :)
    I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out for about another month....then a old guy down the alley near my house happen to be walking his dog and seen me working on it and he said he had the same problem at one time with a 2003 Pt GT he used to own..he did everything I basically did and nothing seemed to work then his battery ended up dying and wouldn't even turn it over, so he had to go buy a new one. After he put the new one in; the car ran normal he never had a problem since. So he said it's probably the battery I should check into it. I thought he was nuts lol My battery was about 6 years old but it started the car fine.
    So I figured well it wouldn't hurt...hell I've tried everything under the sun already! So went to Costco and bought a new one. If it didn't solve the problem I could take it back. You probably won't believe me but it was the Battery lmao!
    The Pt has never had a problem since then. I don't get it either but that was the problem I swear!

I enjoyed ever minute I owned it and it ran like snot and had a lot of fun with it! I de-banged it and blacked it out. Painted mirrors and every piece of chrome on it black. Had Limo tint windows all around and put some realistic bullet holes on the rear hatch up to the window and one on the window. It looked like a Mob car and was a head turner. It also was a sleeper. Kicked some pretty good azz off the light and beyond. Whomever I raced, they were stunned lol Unfortunately I ended up selling it in September 2016 and bought a 2017 Chevrolet Cruze. I didn't realize how much power the Pt had until I drove the Cruze. I miss the Pt but I am really enjoying my new ride. :)
    Kinda miss the power that Pt had. It was a little beast! :)
    Cheers!!

ImperialCrown likes this.
  15. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Oh well, better late than never. And a Cruze?? What were you thinking? LOL