Allpar Forums banner

PLEASE READ: NASCAR Mopar M1 Hemi Engine

24K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  Beentherebefore 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
I do know that a large chunk of the engine has been available through the Mopar catalog for quite sometime.

Mike

Reactions: mdh1776
#10 ·
Without getting too technical, I would like to know how the M1 compares with the spec motors already allowed in some of the Nascar series such as K&N and the Truck series. I assume that wherever it would be allowed, it would be comparable. What are the parameters?....... HP? ....or maybe just the standard "must have prior approval of Nascar" to be acceptable to race in the designated series.

And, then, of course, comes the question of cost competitiveness with the Yates, Ilmor, or any other allowable spec motor.

#26 ·
Andrew Ranger Himself just read your article Mike V. & shared it!
That’s cool! Facebook feed... I just reshared his article.

That explains the popularity...

#29 ·
Depends on which version of the GM engine is being used. The weight savings advantage of running the the GM based spec engine vs the older R3 based engine is eliminated.

Mike

Reactions: mdh1776
#32 ·
Correct, but the spec engine has been allowed at specific tracks since at least 2011 in the truck series.

Robert Yates Racing Engines is not the same as RoushYates Racing.

Mike

#34 ·
#35 · (Edited)
From Mike's front page report...........

"This pricing is in line, and in some cases considerably less than, the GM-based engine from Robert Yates Racing."

A major marketing coup! I remember Norm reporting that he had an engineer from Chrysler tour his shop back 3 or 4 years ago and had specifically mentioned to him that he had no choice but to run a GM based motor because Mopar had nothing competitive in the same price bracket, or even close. Norm didn't think that he had made much of an impression on the factory rep but it looks like that Chrysler rep made good note of Norm's complaint. I'm actually feeling a little sad right now that Norm didn't live to see this beauty. It looks like it might just have slid nicely between his Jeep's framerails.

#37 ·
"The thought of GM power under the hood of race-winning Dodges was not palatable to Mopar; they needed a fresh, competitive package that was as economical as the spec engine to go under the hoods of their race winners…. and the Mopar M1 race engine was born."

Hasn't been palatable to me since long before I joined this board. Maybe now we will finally see the dissappearance of the Mopar IMPOSTERS ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.