Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE READ: NASCAR Mopar M1 Hemi Engine

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Mike V., May 30, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The engine makes approximately 470hp on the 1-1/16" restrictor. 500hp on the 1-1/8" restrictor.

Mike

mdh1776 and Mopar Jerry like this.
  2. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

Andrew Ranger Himself just read your article Mike V. & shared it!

Andrew Ramger.JPG

3. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Went and looked at the Arrow site on line... cool .. I like it, now can I afford it or need it. If I won the lotto then yes.:D

4. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

I love that MOPAR hated seeing winning Dodge's with GM engines and did something about it. Wicked cool.

5. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

This news should bolster interest in the Canadian NASCAR Pinty's Series & our coverage of the races here on Allpar.com!

Canadian NASCAR Pinty's Series - The Home of Dodge & Mopar In NASCAR!!!!

Mike V. likes this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

That’s cool! Facebook feed... I just reshared his article.

That explains the popularity...

mdh1776 and Mike V. like this.
  7. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good afternoon. Mike great job thank you very much, well worth waiting for. Can't wait to see where this path leads & hopefully this helps bring even more respect & glory to the MOPAR name. MOPAR Always!

Mike V. likes this.
  8. DrMark

DrMark Member

How does this engine compare in weight to the GM-based spec engine?

9. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Depends on which version of the GM engine is being used. The weight savings advantage of running the the GM based spec engine vs the older R3 based engine is eliminated.

Mike

mdh1776 likes this.
  10. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

The money shot for @Beentherebefore.

Oh yeah... that gen III Hemi looks badass between those frame rails.

Mike

11. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

NASCAR has offered spec engines in the Camping World Truck Series since Charlotte of last year as an option for teams. RoushYates builds those as well. I wonder if this could open the door for Ram to participate in the Truck Series again?

12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Correct, but the spec engine has been allowed at specific tracks since at least 2011 in the truck series.

Robert Yates Racing Engines is not the same as RoushYates Racing.

Mike

13. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

#33 mdh1776, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Shane Estabrooks and danbek like this.
  14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I think the usage in the truck series is too limited. Focus is on the grassroots racers

Mike

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

From Mike's front page report...........

"This pricing is in line, and in some cases considerably less than, the GM-based engine from Robert Yates Racing."

A major marketing coup! I remember Norm reporting that he had an engineer from Chrysler tour his shop back 3 or 4 years ago and had specifically mentioned to him that he had no choice but to run a GM based motor because Mopar had nothing competitive in the same price bracket, or even close. Norm didn't think that he had made much of an impression on the factory rep but it looks like that Chrysler rep made good note of Norm's complaint. I'm actually feeling a little sad right now that Norm didn't live to see this beauty. It looks like it might just have slid nicely between his Jeep's framerails.

#35 Beentherebefore, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If the new Hemi is legal in the Truck series, it would be a great way for Mopar to market this new package. They are going to have to back a few racers in each series (like they are backing Ranger in Pintys) to get this package "jump started". They had that winning "Mystic Missile" Mopar driven by Donny Lia in the Whelen series back 2 or 3 years ago but that team had switched to a spec motor last I heard. The last competitive Mopar to run in K&N West was the Scott Lynch driven Dodge that won the championship in 2003.

I have a few questions as I review your new article.........

1) Why does the Mopar have to run a smaller restrictor than the GM motor?

2) Is the new Hemi legal (or will it soon be) in all the grassroots series that you referenced in your news report, specifically K&N and Whelen? Would it be legal in the CWTS as the rules are currently written?

Thanks for putting out the effort for the well written and informative report. Looks like it has generated quite a bit of excitement :D.

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

"The thought of GM power under the hood of race-winning Dodges was not palatable to Mopar; they needed a fresh, competitive package that was as economical as the spec engine to go under the hoods of their race winners…. and the Mopar M1 race engine was born."

Hasn't been palatable to me since long before I joined this board. Maybe now we will finally see the dissappearance of the Mopar IMPOSTERS ;).

18. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

First race, verifying parity. Goal is to have them on the same restrictor.

One step at a time. Could it be legal for CWTS? Probably, but the focus is on the lower touring series.

Currently the spec engine is only legal at a handful of races based on track size for CWTS. It's really wishful thinking to expect this engine to suddenly jump start a CWTS program at this time.

Thank you. :)

Mike

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

For sure. That "parity" sword cuts both ways. If they come right out of the box spanking the "Brand C" based spec motors too badly, most of us know what Nascar will end up doing to them.

I do have another question if/when you talk to Arrow again..........

Do they think that this motor would be eligible to run in some sprint car series? 392/426 cu in is too large for series with 360" limit but would fit right in with the 410" limit series, including WOO - the series that gets most of the media coverage. It probably wouldn't be too difficult for Arrow to develop a smaller version of this motor based on the 345" Hemi. There are lots of grass roots racers in sprint car series - maybe even more than in Nascar series.

20. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I will ask them... the impression I got is that they want this basic engine combination to be used in as many touring series as possible.

Unfortunately only one series at a time. Two down, Trans Am and NASCAR Canada... next up is the K&N Pro Series. I think they have the right people in place to get there.

Mike

GasAxe likes this.