Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please tell me that this hose going to engine is not hard to replace

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by TaxiGirl, Nov 20, 2017.

1. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

heater hoses.JPG The heater y connections in the back that have antifreeze in them. the front one is going to the top side of the fitting towards the radiator and the bottom side of the connector goes into the right top side of engine like underneath in a hole where you cannot get to the hose clamp. How would someone replace this? the hose is 15.1 mm heater hose???? THE ACTUAL HOSE GOING INTO ENGINE LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THIS DIAGRAM SO I DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT I NEED EXCEPT FOR MAYBE JUST SOME 15.1 MM HOSE
    heater hose 1.jpg heater hose 2.jpg

#1 TaxiGirl, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #9 by AllanC, Nov 21, 2017
  3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

4. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

Thanks Allen, but that is not the hose. Ok, you know how the front or top heater hose comes over towards the front by the radiator. well, the connection on that end at the top is where that front heater hose attaches but, also there is another rubber hose that comes off of it and goes right into the engine under the intake on top of the engine block. It i that connection that is leaking all of my antifreeze out and I do not see how I can get to it. Antifreeze is coming out of the top of the engine. Those hoses in the back have already been replaced. You see in the picture on the left, it shows the top back heater hose coming towards the front and It is the hose that is not circled and the one that is circled is the bottom side of that and it is at the front towards the radiator and the other end of it goes down under the intake on top of the engine block. I cannot even get my hand in the there,.

#3 TaxiGirl, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

I can get long nosed pliers anywhere. What I do not know is what the hose is going to and what kind of clamp it is, It will do no good to stick pliers inside where hose goes without knowing how it connects or what is for

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

So the leak is not the heater hoses, either supply or return with the Y type connection. The only other heater hose going to the top of the engine would be to the engine oil cooler assembly. It is located beneath the lower intake manifold.

Before jumping into this repair I would strongly suggest determining if the heater sized coolant hose is leaking at the oil cooler assembly or you have a leak / crack in the plastic oil cooler housing assembly. Go to Harbor Freight and purchase a mirror with a telescoping handle. Use that with a strong work light to peer into that area and see if you can determine the leak source. You can rent a pressure tester at no charge at Autozone or O'Reilly auto and pressurize the system. Hopefully it is just the hose / clamp area that is leaking.

You can remove the upper and lower intake manifold to gain access but that is somewhat involved. I believe you can use long nose, slim pliers and gain access to the hose clamp. Once the release the clamp and slide it away from the plastic nipple use a pick (hooked tool) to break the seal between the hose and the plastic nipple so as to NOT overstress the plastic fitting and inadvertently break it. This picture should give you an idea of how to access the hose clamp.

This is a link to a Y T video where an individual removes the upper and lower intake manifold to gain access to a leaky oil cooler housing assembly. It gives better orientation to the location of the cooler assembly. At time interval 8:40 the upper intake is removed. At time interval 10:30 - 10:52 the lower manifold is removed and exposes the oil cooler housing assembly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabsoNG8m3E

Engine Oil Cooler 3.gif

#6 AllanC, Nov 21, 2017
    ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

leak pic 1.jpg leak pic 1.jpg leak pic 2.jpg
    Thank you Allen but that is the wrong side, It is on the drivers side and I have had the oil cooler replace before. Are we still talking about the oil cooler here? And it is straight up antifreeze, no oil. THE hose has 15.1 MM heater hose on it and Oreilys ordered me a piece of hose that is 15 mm and it is 27" in length, The hose itself if looking sort of flattened AND deteriorating but, I do not know where it goes except for in the top of the engine.

#7 TaxiGirl, Nov 21, 2017
  8. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

Also, since I have your attention, could you point out to me where the oil pressure switch is?

9. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Yes I am still referencing the engine oil cooler. It circulates coolant through a heat exchanger to extract heat from the engine oil. The oil part of the cooler housing is not leaking. The hose you have identified with an orange mark is the coolant line that carries heated coolant from the cooler housing and returns to the water pump. You will have to use a mirror to see the spring clamp that holds the hose onto the outlet nipple at the cooler housing.

Go to this Y T video and watch the description of the engine oil cooler on a Pentastar 3.6 liter V6 engine. Particular description starts at interval 1:00 throuh 1:30. Note the coolant hose nipple which is pertinent to the leaky hose discussion. Also there is an oil temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor on this cooler housing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjGnEI1HmNY

TaxiGirl likes this.
  10. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

here is a close up pic of where the hose goes in on the drivers side so, if I put pliers down in there and try to take it off I could break something? and do you think it is just the hose considering how bad the hose looks? hose.jpg

11. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

12. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

From the Y T videos presented there is a plastic nipple that the coolant hose attaches. With heat and age plastic may become brittle.. You can remove the clamp and slide it away from the connection. But the hose will feel like it is "cemented" to the plastic nipple. You do NOT want to put excessive force by twisting or pulling on that hose as that will stress the nipple and might cause it to break. If it breaks then you will have to replace the entire engine oil cooler housing. The Y T video presented earlier on the white T & C shows the process of removal to gain access to the engine cooler housing.

In this video the presenter uses a pick to break the bond between the hose and nipple without excessive force. That is the tool to use.

If that is an original issue hose with 300,000+ miles on the vehicle concentrated heat at the clamp area can cause a hose to fail. But instead of guessing do this procedure. Rent a radiator pressure tester from Autozone or O'Reilly Auto. With the engine cold slowly pressurize the cooling system and then use a telescoping mirror previously mentioned and look at that connection that is suspect. This is the connection on the engine oil cooler housing and returns coolant to the water pump. If you see leaks then it is suspect.

You do not need to remove the upper and lower intake manifold to gain access to the hose nipple clamp on the engine oil cooler housing. Follow this Y T video for a short cut procedure to the engine oil cooler and oil pressure sending unit. In the video you will see the nipple hose clamp adjacent to the engine oil pressure sending unit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H0Sjp3AcAc

#12 AllanC, Nov 21, 2017
  13. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

Thank you Allen for all of your great advice. I purchased the long nose pliers however, I have not rented the radiator tester yet. I will do that because even I see coolant where the hose connects, it could be the one of the 2 sensors leaking or the cooler itself. I am now trying to remember if the cooler was replaced at all because I think that what he did was just replace the Orings that had flattened out and was causing the oil leak. It is not leaking oil now but I do know the hose is flattened out on the end where it goes into the area that I cannot get to.. I will probably end up taking it to the mechanic who replaced my rocker arms and lifters. Thank you for all of your help

14. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

If the sensors were leaking you would see oil, not coolant. Here is more detail to the ports and sensors on the engine oil cooler housing (removed from vehicle).

Oil Filter Oil Cooler Housing 6.gif

15. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

16. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Taxigirl It would help if you kept a log of all maintenance. So then you can go into the log and see when or if something was replaced.

17. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

Ordered the hose that hooks to the connection going into the oil cooler and it was under $10 at Advanced Auto. the hose in this pic looks nothing like the hose that is on there. the one that is there has no special connections and is original hose with hose clamps on each side. it is one piece about 25 inches long.