AF: Police cars | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police cars

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

2. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

What transmissions do the police Chargers have?

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If the Michigan State Police test specs are correct, RWD (V6 and Hemi) use the 8 speed, AWD (V6 and Hemi) use the 5 speed.

I thought V6 AWD was switching to the 8 speed, based on what I read somewhere. But not according to the cars Michigan tested.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  4. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

Driving from NJ to FL, the Charger is the only police car I saw, not counting SUV's

pug-man and wolfsblood07 like this.
  5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Durango needs some SRT tuning...and tires!

6. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Excellent article, very informative.
    When I think Explorer, I don't think speed. I think of a comfortable, roomy SUV that can haul families or cargo, but isn't very stable around curves due to it's height. I guess I was wrong if it can beat a Hemi! Ford doesn't even need the Mustang anymore, they have the Explorer which can do it all.

7. TTO_XODJ

TTO_XODJ Well-Known Member

I work for a place that does the installation on police cars, I can say that the Durango is becoming very popular in Missouri. I just overheard our police fleet manager talking about how our Missouri Highway Patrol is switching to Durango's soon. I did hear that a few departments got their order of AWD V6 cancelled since Dodge isn't doing AWD V6 for 2020. I can say the Explorer is pretty popular as well. I haven't seen ANY Tahoe's come in recently.

maxwell58 likes this.
  8. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Including pumping CO into the passenger compartment.

Panterasr9 likes this.
  9. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Chevy Tahoe seems to have a lock on police duty in central Texas. Haven't seen a single one of the newest generation of Chargers in police use.

10. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

If discussing any sort of fleet/police package; the last year for the Mustang was 1993. As for Ford dropping the Mustang name and/or platform...........that would be pinnacle of bad decision making, to be polite.

11. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Here in the Bullhead City/Laughlin/Needles area; the Explorer and Tahoe pretty much own the police market. The only agency running the current Chargers would be the CHP and NHP (some). And there are still a few Ford Crown Vics still in use by the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe PD.

12. James A

James A Active Member

From what I hear the Charger is considered the best. Explorer's are said to not hold up so the department that I have a connection in is looking forward to trying the Durango. The only issue with the Charger that I know of is the C pillar, getting people in and out of the back is annoying apparently.

Bearhawke, AHBGuru and pug-man like this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

A Charger is a rarer police car in Pennsylvania, I actually see more Durango’s. The state police run a mix of Fords, both sedans (now discontinued) and utilities.

pug-man likes this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Delaware State Police and the New Castle County Police run Tahoes predominantly. I see the occasional Taurus for the county, but they’re usually unmarked cars. Philly PD uses mostly Explorers, as do the PA State Police from what I’ve seen, at least around Philly. Haven’t seen any new Explorers though, only the previous gen.

15. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple officers with Durango's looking to remove the speed limiter and higher speed rated tires on another forum, so it seems PCA should address that ASAP.

wtxiceman likes this.
  16. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand the decision to go with the lower speed rated tires.... In SRT form, the Durango is obviously capable of higher speeds. I wonder why they didn't try to at least get to 130..... Is this purely a cost-related decision?

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

As I understand, there were no choices with better ratings in the 18” size used on police Durango. The R/T and SRT use 20” tires. The 20” wheels and tires wouldn’t likely do well in police work. I’m a bit surprised Durango doesn’t offer a steel wheel for police service yet.

Bearhawke and wolfsblood07 like this.
  18. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

19. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

The 2020 Charger and Durango Pursuits have been discussed at length in the Fleet/Police forum.

The 2020 Chargers were the victim of a shortage of transmission assemblies and the GM strike, resulting in a very short 2-month window for ordering.

Fleet offered the RWD V6 and the AWD V8 only. Whether these cars received the A580 or the 850RE (V6) or the 8HP70 (V8) is unknown, and Fleet refuses to comment. They did confirm the new "robust" valvetrain components for the V8 Pursuit beginning in 2019 (superceding back to 2009 for the 5.7 and all car 6.4 engines).

I strongly suspect we will see 2 Charger Pursuit models for 2021 - an AWD V6, and AWD V8, both 8-spd auto.

SRT is finishing tests for an improved Durango Pursuit, said to include much of the Charger's police features (column shift, vinyl floor/rear seat, huge brakes, wiring harnesses, etc), including a fair increase in top speed - best guess of 130 or so.

There hasn't been much in the way of getting the Dodge Ram SSV Pursuit-Rated, probably because pickups are not ideal for high-speed pursuits. Pickup fans may disagree, but this market is FAR different from the retail market. What is driving bids now is the "right tool for the job" premise, and FCA is getting that very refined:

- Charger: Ultimate crime fighter and top performing vehicle. The cruise missile.

- Durango: extremely roomy, with plenty of performance. The Huey.

- Ram SSV: very versatile, durable, and plenty of off-road capability.

James A and pug-man like this.
  20. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Aussies get the 300 with a 6.4 V8. Quite a little better with regard to ingress/egress.

eaglecars, voiceofstl and wtxiceman like this.