AF: Police cars | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police cars

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

You'd think if FCA could get Nexan to make them a drag tire for the 1320, they could get them or find someone to make them an H or V rated tire in 18" spec size for the Durango. I would think sales would be a bit higher than the 1320.

Mr. Fusion likes this.
  2. joewho

joewho Active Member

All police cars use the A580 trans regardless of engine.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Check the MSP test. They are testing the 8 speeds.

Tony K and Chase300 like this.
  4. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I seriously cannot understand how the Explorer pursuit is faster on the track than the Charger. Is the Explorer pursuit THAT much better handling than the Sport with the same engine? It handles like crap, and I wonder if Ford is sending "Ringers" because I could out-handle a stock Explorer Sport with a stock Charger R/T any day of the week.

wolfsblood07 and tomit like this.
  5. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

There is a fleet section in allpar.

6. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I am indeed surprised the Explorer edged out the Charger in this test. Some part of me is horrified at the thought that SUV's could be getting good enough to make cars obsolete for 95+% of buyers. But, I also suspect something is slightly awry. Or, there are changes to the police package that could be made to regain the no. 1 spot for the Charger.

As for the 300 SRT...I really do wish they'd sell that in NA again, for police and civilian purchase. There is a dash cam owners' channel I follow on YouTube, and in a recent video they kick off with footage of a police 300 with the 6.4L HEMI really open up the engine. I knew these cars were entering service in Oz, but this is the first time I've seen one in action.

(make sure you have your sound turned on!!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFC8YS2EAs

7. Chase300

Well that 300 gets up to speed quick!

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If police departments were demanding the 6.4 engine, it would come in the Charger. But it's either too costly (either at purchase or on fuel economy), or just isn't deemed necessary because the 5.7 does so well, or (I have no idea if this is true) it's just not "durable" enough for that use case.
    The biggest engine isn't always the one selected for police work. People are often shocked at the number of slant 6 squads over the years.

page2171 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  9. Chase300

IDK, was the 6.4L ever offered to the NA market? I don't think I've ever seen one in the Michigan or any police tests. I would think if one wanted to see if there is a NA market for it you'd bring one for testing.
    Probably too late now as FE becomes a bigger sales driver and high-speed chases are now frowned upon.

10. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

You’al Might outrun my ole Chevrolet but you won’t outrun my ole 2 way.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  11. Chase300

Yup, the decline of sedans will continue both in the police depts. and family garages.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Michigan State Police only tests production-ready vehicles as I understand the program.

13. Chase300

Clearly if they are exporting a 6.4L 300 to Australia its a production ready car.

14. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I dont understand, they make it in right hand drive for export but wont sell it here because they wont spend the extra money for crash certification.

15. Chase300

Another stupid regulation that should be gone. What the heck is the difference if the steering wheel is on the R or L? If it passes with it on the L I can't believe it will not pass with it on the R.
    Maybe we can write Trump...LOL!

wolfsblood07 and pug-man like this.
  16. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

It looks like Chrysler still sells a 300 SRT in the Middle East in LHD (as well as in Australia in RHD). Maybe this particular horse isn't worth flogging but it's hard not to sometimes!

ScramFan likes this.
  17. Chase300

Does seem a bit crazy that one can't order it. Maybe a dealer doesn't want to stock it, but should offer a customer to put in a custom order like they did years ago. I'm sure there are a few out there that want the 6.4L but prefer the 300 body style and additional rear sear headroom over the Charger.

18. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Same here (Houston area). You see Chargers being used by private security companies, not by actual LEO's. All the local agencies ditched Chargers in favor of Tahoes. My little city claimed the Chargers they had (all '07 models I believe) were the most problematic and expensive cars to maintain that the PD had ever owned. I think they'd have better results now, but unfortunately the reputation was damaged by those earlier Chargers.

Bearhawke and valiant67 like this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Perhaps if they spent a little less money on bribing UAW officials, then maybe they could afford crash test certifications and such for other vehicle variants. Sometimes you have to divide your discretionary spending, you know. ;)

20. Gamecock Hank

Gamecock Hank Member

Spoke to a few LEO's lately and they confirm here in SC the move is to SUV's however SUV's to have limits that sedans don't . This was confirmed a few months ago on LivePD when a pursuit in Columbia, SC (Richland County) was the opening. This car was being pursued by a Tahoe. Clearly he could not keep up in the residential area around the old Columbia Mall, he lost him. The deputy made comments during the chase about the quick hard right and left turns he could not make. Back in the studio Sticks was discussing how a sedan would have been better served in a chase like that and the SUV's are just not right for some/every chase.

Richland County just ditched the fleet of Challengers and added Camaro's, and is adding more SUV.s but still have a few Chargers