AF: Police cars | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police cars

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Dec 11, 2019.

1. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

Most of the police vehicles here seem to be fords. I asked a constable yesterday why they weren't driving Durangos ... he said he wished they had Durangos, but it wasn't up to him ... one thing he complained about was the mileage they got with their explorers ... he said they need a larger tank, as they hardly go 300 miles on a fill.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Chrysler would do well to use a certain clip from the TV show about the Alaska State Troopers. It was a few years ago and a trooper was in a long distance chase with his older Ford trying to catch a Cad SUV. The trooper radioed that he was losing ground and requested that they send out the Charger. One of the next scenes was the Ford's dash camera recording a white rocket with a shield on the door passing the trooper. The Charger had the Cad pulled over a few miles down the road.

It was enough to give an old Mopar fan a serious case of goose bumps!

danbek, tlc, plymouth1 and 5 others like this.
  3. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Ha
    I know the scene.....Trooper Dug Cook if I'm not mistaken.

4. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Nope.

5-SPEED AUTOMATIC WITH AUTOSTICK (W5A580) – CHARGER PURSUIT
    Exclusive to all Dodge Charger Pursuit models, AutoStick provides critical up- and downshifting; the technology delivers phenomenal control on the highway and gives the driver
    a moving solution to the varying and unpredictable dynamics of typical city and suburban driving. Inspired from the racetrack and yet delivering outstanding driver-oriented
    control, it offers convenient, electronically controlled rocker switches on the column-mounted shifter; access and response are instant. - Dodge

6. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

What r u saying nope to?

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

No 8-speeds in Charger Pursuit models for V6 and V8s... all 5-speeds

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But Chrysler did send two 2021 Chargers to the Michigan State Police testing this year with 8 speeds, a V6 AWD and a Hemi RWD (along with 2020 5 speed models, V6 RWD and Hemi AWD) - so it looks like changes may be coming.

danbek and pug-man like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Yes, but all of them that fleets can buy currently are only 5-speed automatics.

10. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

If discussing durability, FCA's 5 spd tranny choice may be 100% correct, at least from a fleet manager's perspective..

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I have a 5-speed in my Charger... the ZF-sourced 8-speed automatic maybe faster, smoother, and more efficient, but yes the 5-speed is bulletproof.

Bearhawke and wolfsblood07 like this.
  12. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

06 durango i had was at 375k on original tranny. Only 1 pressure solenoid was changed.
    Still worked like new

pug-man and Bearhawke like this.