Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police package exhaust

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by Old Mike, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Old Mike

Old Mike Member

What mufflers were used on police packages? I have a '71 Newport and I want it to have that sound. Was there a part number that I can use to find an equivalent?

Bearhawke likes this.
  2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Does it already have dual exhaust and you are just looking for the mufflers or are you looking for the complete dual exhaust system?
    The Walker catalog doesn't show the dual systems, but it has a look-up for mufflers if you know the muffler dimensions:
    WALKER® EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: Universal Muffler Dimension Search (at http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/walker-exhaust-systems/universal-muffler-dimension-search )
    There are different muffler product lines with different exhaust sounds from mellow to louder.
    I worked at a muffler/brake shop that had a mandrel bending machine to make custom pipes. I was able to cut and bend a dual exhaust system for the Imperial.

Bearhawke likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

There are reproduction exhausts but probably not for the C body. I'm sure something similar to the Hemi muffler would work well, either a repop or similar aftermarket.

Bearhawke likes this.
  4. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Factory exhaust back then was pretty basic - pipes, mufflers, tips. They didn't really start to get fancy with police exhaust (diameter, single/dual, etc) until after cats became standard across the board.

TTI makes C body exhaust systems, both header back or complete manifold back. They seem to be reasonably priced:

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Exhaust/Exhaust_Syst_MW.htm

Dave Z and Bearhawke like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Rick Ehrenberg generally recommends TTI, FWIW.