Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Policy changes?

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by Dave Z, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I’ve noticed that my dealer has, of late, gotten much more conservative with warranty work, to the point of seeing codes registered in the cruise control but not fixing it until he could replicate (which happened rather quickly). Used to be just seeing a failure code was enough — you know it’s failed if there’s a failure code and then it’s parts-changing time.

Is this a general trend or is it just them? I can imagine getting a warning or downgrade in status, but is this universal?

I can’t imagine but that FCA warranty costs have skyrocketed since cars with poorly chosen components are now entering the failure stage. Our 300C has lost two telematics modules already and it’s not even four years old yet (never mind every interior part creaking at the slightest touch and a cacophony on concrete roads). The Dart has had a few modules replaced already and it’s just hitting the ripe old age of three. Then there are the nine speeds dropping like flies — maybe not as a percentage but they’re in an awful lot of cars. (I do recall problems with the five speeds and before that with the four speeds!) — but is my perception accurate or shaped by bad luck? And are other brands having the same issues, not reflected in JD Power numbers because they end at three years?

2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Wow, none of that sounds good to me Dave. My biggest fear are these stupid sensors and modules dying. I guess keeping a car for 10 years is out of the question now?

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Not really. I've had no problems when I needed computer modules for over 10 year old cars.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  4. MPE426HEMI

hemirunner426 likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Well, the cruise control and Bluetooth might die, but the engine stuff hopefully will keep going, seems to be made to a higher standard.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

My uconnect stopped working the second day I had my new vehicle. Had to pull the fuse to reset it. Didn't give me much confidence in the stuff. Seemed to work fine after. So far so good. I could care less about the option, but I couldn't avoid it in the package that was available.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

When our dealership was under threat of a factory audit, the management got very stingy about OKing warranty repairs. That may be what is happening here. Our manager went as far as turning warranty customers away if they didn't purchase their car from us.
    We were high on transmission repairs and the factory must have noticed this and flagged us for audit.
    Warranty claims must have the i's dotted and t's crossed or they can be bounced and leave the dealership owing thousands of dollars. We were pretty honest about our warranty claims, but it just takes one found mistake to bring in the scrutiny of the 'warranty police' and that is very frightening for any business.
    I had to take digital photos of a failed transmission apart on my bench, fill out diagnostic check sheets and submit them to Chrysler in order get the OK for a repair. The customer was without his car an extra 3 days while the factory made up their mind to fix his car.
    I was on flat-rate and then had to wait around with my lift and bench tied-up waiting for the OK to get started with the rebuild.
    I realize that warranty claims can't be done free-gratis, the factory is trying to control internal costs. This is one area (warranty) that should be lower than it is.
    When the factory can say that warranty costs have dropped it isn't necessarily due to better product quality, but may be because of more claim denials and refusals. This costs the dealership.

somber, valiant67 and Doug D like this.
  8. TrueNorthTint

TrueNorthTint Active Member

Thats a bold strategy. When I was service manager you are rated on the # of Vins serviced for warranty and having new Vins with small repairs would help offset us here in a small market. I used to love having vehicles come in sold from our competition as we had the opportunity to add a new vin and potentially a new customer for our dealerships sales department (in which I have made the switch to)

9. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My wife's 2012 Chrysler 200 only had one issue while under general warranty - the gas gauge would intermittently plunge to Empty, and then recover to the true reading in about a minute. Took 3 visits for them to fix it for good. First or second one, they replaced the sending unit (don't know if that is integral with the fuel pump).
    Now, just out of warranty, the recirc motor in the climate control has a fractured gear, and it makes a horrible rapping noise for about 20 seconds, trying to move the recirc door. Worse, it does it with the engine off for a period of time after we've driven the car. Just haven't got around to fixing it yet.
    That's our only experience with a Chrysler product still under warranty in the last 22 years.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I can see that... and this dealership gets a lot of work for cars sold by other local dealers.

Yes. For many reasons, including some dealers that can't fix things the first three times.

And the company!

Which, I believe, is illegal.

@Bob Lincoln, I wonder if it's because the 200 was redesigned longer-ago...?

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Don't be surprised if this is a labor intensive repair. One of the HVAC doors on my '06 Ram 1500 failed about 10,000 miles past the warranty. It is the mode 2 door - it controls floor/defrost. It's stuck such that when the floor vents are selected, it defaults to defrost. It does require the dash to come out as it is behind a steel frame in the dash. No other way to access it. About 2 years ago the recirc door fell onto the fan - had to remove the fan to remove it. Just a few months ago the mode 1 door failed - controls dash vents/defrost - it's now stuck in the dash vent position. At least the blend doors work. I've since found these doors are a somewhat common problem on the '02-'08 Rams. They are driven by actuators and the plastic stop pins on the doors have a tendency to break.

I think the only warranty repair we ever had to have done was a brake switch replaced on our previous '09 Journey.

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It may not be the recirc actuator itself that has failed. The recirc door has rubber edge seals that can stick to the door opening and bind the door. The actuator will 'slip' (click, click, click) when this happens.
    I have used silicone spray on the edge seal flaps to keep the door from sticking.
    The recirc actuator (stepper motor) is usually on the top, right corner of the HVAC housing and as Doug says, can be a real bear to get at.
    You may be able to get at the recirc door through the cowl fresh air intake opening?

13. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

My Mother n Laws 2007 Sebring(pretty much the same car) just did this and the repair was very easy. You can get access to it by taking out the glove box. In our case the door moved both open and closed, but the motor was not able to sense the door was closed and would keep trying to close it, causing the loud clicking noise. I set the door to outside air and then disconnected the motor till the new one could be ordered.

14. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Guess it's not a good policy to let Purchasing dictate which vendor gets the business... :(

somber and Dave Z like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Ideally Purchasing would normally choose the vendor but the engineer could appeal/override; one person did say that they had an ideal vendor who was not allowed because Purchasing didn't want to do the paperwork.

somber likes this.
  16. 65Marlin

65Marlin Member

I'm being told by my favorite Chrysler dealer that they can't get genuine Mopar parts fro a 99 Plymouth Breeze, because car companies don't support (as in spare parts) on cars more than 10 years old. They will be happy to do the work (brake overhaul) but have to find vintage stock parts. Anybody else hear about this? Doesn't bode well for the future.

17. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The 10 year rule is a rumor. If Mopar brake parts are not available there are plenty of aftermarket solutions.

DC-93 and Doug D like this.
  18. 65Marlin

65Marlin Member

Also, they tell me the brake lines are corroded and need replaced. The hoses are 17 years old so sure, they need replaced, but I would think the metal brake lines are stainless steel? Maybe not. Anyway, to replace everything all the way back to both rear wheels, plus cylinders, turn the drums, new shoes etc., its getting mighty pricey. Maybe they don't want to mess with an old car?

19. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Fuel lines may be stainless, but not brake lines. The shop will usually make lines up for the vehicle using a roll of generic 3/16" steel line. The flared ends may be the ISO 'bubble' flare.
    Brake parts should be readily available from any auto parts source. Since older vehicles don't see dealer service often, Mopar Valueline may no longer carry replacement parts. A store brand premium part should be good enough.
    I prefer the ceramic brake linings to semi-metallic linings.

20. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I think the rule is they have to carry the parts through the standard warranty for that model year. Yes, the 10 year rule is an old rumor.