Allpar Forums banner

How do you feel about the the refresh for the 2015 Charger

POLL: How do you feel about the 2015 Charger?

38K views 300 replies 91 participants last post by  georgejetson 
#1 ·
Clearly there are some opinions on this.

#252 ·
unverferth said:
What in the world is today's designers' infatuation with the split grille ??
They're everywhere !! They're everywhere !!
Factor in things like aero and the required airflow into the engine bay & radiators and you may begin to understand.

Look at the upper grille on a Caliber or Avenger and notice just how much is sold plastic versus how much is open above the 'bumper' line.

Worth noting that my Olds Intrigue has no upper grille at all.

#253 ·
Stratuscaster said:
Factor in things like aero and the required airflow into the engine bay & radiators and you may begin to understand.

Look at the upper grille on a Caliber or Avenger and notice just how much is sold plastic versus how much is open above the 'bumper' line.

Since a picture is worth 1000 words:

The green box is the "open" area

#254 ·
Stratuscaster said:

Oh I realize all those factors...aero, pedestrian req. , etc......but.......can't one's imagination be just a little more flexible ?
This split-grille design scheme can't be the ONLY one that meets all the 'hidden to the eye' requirements....can it ?
Then again...maybe it is....it's the only one you see.....

#255 ·
Marine Viper said:
I still want to know from the people who think this is a step back from current charger how they would feel if the 15 was the current and they intruduced the 1st or 2nd gen (4door type) as the new 15???? what would you be thinking???????????
I would like to know from the people who like that the 15 Charger takes its rear end styling cues from the Dart because its keeping with the Dodge Family resemblance, how they would feel IF the Challenger also had this rear end to "keep the Dodge Family resemblance"???????????????????????????????????????????????

#256 ·
dfarc said:
I would like to know from the people who like that the 15 Charger takes its rear end styling cues from the Dart because its keeping with the Dodge Family resemblance, how they would feel IF the Challenger also had this rear end to "keep the Dodge Family resemblance"???????????????????????????????????????????????
except we all know the Challenger being the "retro" offering it does not follow the Dodge styling so that is a mute point.

#259 ·
dfarc said:
When Chrysler decided to bring back the Challenger they did by offering a modern version of the Challenger, by the contrary with the Charger, they never did it so, they brought a 4 door car, and the car never had nothing to do with the older Chargers, in fact, I still think, the new one is no Charger at all, they should better mame it different, and if they ever decide to bring back the Charger, they must do it like they did it with the Challenger.

Right now, the new Charger has the family look of a Durango in the front, including the fenfers, the tail lamps are an evoultion of the Durango and the Dart, and for your info. there are some other products coming out from the pipeline that will also have the Dodge look.

Interesting is now, what will be the final decision for the 300, because they have some options right now, and they still have time to change or make the final decisions.

Suppliers are there, just waiting for the green light.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#260 ·
dfarc said:
That's a lot of question marks :huh:

Guess the poll at the top really speaks for itself though... 45.7% like & 9.5% don't

#261 ·
Mr.Source said:
When Chrysler decided to bring back the Challenger they did by offering a modern version of the Challenger, by the contrary with the Charger, they never did it so, they brought a 4 door car, and the car never had nothing to do with the older Chargers, in fact, I still think, the new one is no Charger at all, they should better mame it different, and if they ever decide to bring back the Charger, they must do it like they did it with the Challenger.

Right now, the new Charger has the family look of a Durango in the front, including the fenfers, the tail lamps are an evoultion of the Durango and the Dart, and for your info. there are some other products coming out from the pipeline that will also have the Dodge look.

Interesting is now, what will be the final decision for the 300, because they have some options right now, and they still have time to change or make the final decisions.

Make up your mind, are the workers excited and Chrysler is doing things right and the company to follow or are they building the wrong car in Charger? I see a lot of similarities in the 06-10 Chargers with the 66-67 Chargers. I also think the 11-14 Chargers have some characteristics of the 68-74 models.

#263 ·
White Hot Charger said:
Make up your mind, are the workers excited and Chrysler is doing things right and the company to follow or are they building the wrong car in Charger? I see a lot of similarities in the 06-10 Chargers with the 66-67 Chargers. I also think the 11-14 Chargers have some characteristics of the 68-74 models.
Lets leave it like it is ok?

#264 ·
You know what? I have been on record as approving of the look of the refresh, and I stand by that. Of course I have not seen one in person yet in SE, SXT, R/T or SRT. However I feel the need to comment that I still very much like the current Charger. I've ridden in a co-worker's SXT Plus Charger and it couldn't really be much better. They've already pretty much gotten everything right. The luxury, quality, convenience and multitude of features is great. As is the ride and handling. While more power always seems like a good thing, the 3.6L is just right for me and a nose-heavier car would upset the balanced ride and handling. I've owned many V-8 Chargers in the past, seven to be exact, and no longer have need of that much power along with the hit in fuel economy. My overall reason for commenting is that whenever I see a current Charger I think it looks just about perfect as a modern sport sedan.

#265 ·
Mr.Source said:

If not for the enthusiast backlash over the four door Charger, there may have never been a Challenger at all. Heard that myself from numerous "good" sources.

#268 ·
I don't like the new dodge charger and I never did ever since they decided to bring it back in 2006. That's just my personal preference and I don't mean to put down anyone that has one. I mean its not a bad looking or performing car Its just for me I have always been a hardcore Mopar guy and for a long time no one could ever convince me that there was any car in the world better than a Mopar. These days my Mopar faith isn't as strong as it used to be. My favorite cars on this planet are the second generation Chargers. So when I heard that they were bringing the Charger name back into production I was actually excited until I learned that it was going to be a 4 door car. Look, there has been a lot of hashing back a forth about Chryslers decision to make the Charger a 4 door car. Some people like it and some don't. I don't and I wrote a 4 page letter to Chrysler and Mr. Burke Brown asking them not to make it a 4 door because since 1966 when the first Charger came out its has always been a 2 door sedan and it should have remained a 2 door car. After 1974 the Charger really started going downhill and they were just slapping the Charger's name on anything that rolled off the assembly line trying to revive the old magic but it wasn't working, (even then it was still a two door car) so they decided to lay the Chargers name to rest. Then they decided to bring the Charger back and make it a four door. The point here is such that the name Charger is so iconic to Chrysler. and when you think of Charger you think of one of the meanest cars to ever come from Dodge and the best that Chrysler could do was make it a four door? Can anyone out there envision a 4 door Mustang? or a 4 door Camaro? That would be an automotive crime to do such a thing and you will NEVER see that because the Ford and Chevy guys know better than to toy with their most iconic cars. Love them or hate then you have to respect Ford and Chevy and one thing you wont get from them is a four door version of one of their muscle cars. If the guys at Mopar had any common sense then they would have given themselves a history lesson. OK, you want a four door performance sedan? Why not Coronet? This so-called new charger could have been easily called a Coronet R/T and it would have been perfect as a four door and the Charger name could have been preserved for something much more special. Mopar had a chance to really do something special but instead they really missed the mark in my book and could have done a much better job. The Challenger came out relatively quickly after this 4 door charger and in my opinion Mopar did it to shut everyone the hell up and make them forget about the charger. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed. A 2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500. 2 1969 Dodge Chargers both factory 4 speed cars, and a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner. Ill still always love Mopar but, I know there are lots of other great cars out there too from Ford Chevy and Foreign as well.

#269 ·
LXbuilder said:
If not for the enthusiast backlash over the four door Charger, there may have never been a Challenger at all. Heard that myself from numerous "good" sources.
If not for the backlash over the Magnum, there may never have been a Charger at all. Heard that from a great source right here on Allpar, a very long time ago.

(Ever notice how the first Chargers -- nose and a couple of little add-on details excepted -- looked like a 9/8 scale 2005 Mitsubishi Galant? Ever wonder if that was just coincidence?)

It was so very frustrating to be a Mopar enthusiast back then... they had a RWD car platform and they had brand-new Hemi V8s, but no muscle cars in the product plan? Really?

#270 ·
dodgeking said:
I don't like the new dodge charger and I never did ever since they decided to bring it back in 2006. That's just my personal preference and I don't mean to put down anyone that has one. I mean its not a bad looking or performing car Its just for me I have always been a hardcore Mopar guy and for a long time no one could ever convince me that there was any car in the world better than a Mopar. These days my Mopar faith isn't as strong as it used to be. My favorite cars on this planet are the second generation Chargers. So when I heard that they were bringing the Charger name back into production I was actually excited until I learned that it was going to be a 4 door car. Look, there has been a lot of hashing back a forth about Chryslers decision to make the Charger a 4 door car. Some people like it and some don't. I don't and I wrote a 4 page letter to Chrysler and Mr. Burke Brown asking them not to make it a 4 door because since 1966 when the first Charger came out its has always been a 2 door sedan and it should have remained a 2 door car. After 1974 the Charger really started going downhill and they were just slapping the Charger's name on anything that rolled off the assembly line trying to revive the old magic but it wasn't working, (even then it was still a two door car) so they decided to lay the Chargers name to rest. Then they decided to bring the Charger back and make it a four door. The point here is such that the name Charger is so iconic to Chrysler. and when you think of Charger you think of one of the meanest cars to ever come from Dodge and the best that Chrysler could do was make it a four door? Can anyone out there envision a 4 door Mustang? or a 4 door Camaro? That would be an automotive crime to do such a thing and you will NEVER see that because the Ford and Chevy guys know better than to toy with their most iconic cars. Love them or hate then you have to respect Ford and Chevy and one thing you wont get from them is a four door version of one of their muscle cars. If the guys at Mopar had any common sense then they would have given themselves a history lesson. OK, you want a four door performance sedan? Why not Coronet? This so-called new charger could have been easily called a Coronet R/T and it would have been perfect as a four door and the Charger name could have been preserved for something much more special. Mopar had a chance to really do something special but instead they really missed the mark in my book and could have done a much better job. The Challenger came out relatively quickly after this 4 door charger and in my opinion Mopar did it to shut everyone the hell up and make them forget about the charger. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed. A 2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500. 2 1969 Dodge Chargers both factory 4 speed cars, and a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner. Ill still always love Mopar but, I know there are lots of other great cars out there too from Ford Chevy and Foreign as well.
You are beating the dead horse with a stick my new friend... it has been said repeatedly on here and other websites too. But I will take a HEMI RWD car anyday. I personally have always thought it should be called the Coronet. But not many young people know what a Coronet is. I am 29 and I am one of those rare ones who know that the Coronet name has been around since the late 40s. Hell I would take a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T over a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T hands down. I wouldn't if it was a 1968 model, but that's besides the point.

#271 ·
redriderbob said:
You are beating the dead horse with a stick my new friend... it has been said repeatedly on here and other websites too. But I will take a HEMI RWD car anyday. I personally have always thought it should be called the Coronet. But not many young people know what a Coronet is. I am 29 and I am one of those rare ones who know that the Coronet name has been around since the late 40s. Hell I would take a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T over a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T hands down. I wouldn't if it was a 1968 model, but that's besides the point.
Yea I know Its just how I feel and How I have felt since day one. It just makes you think what kind of morons they hire at mopar to design cars. The Charger was one of those cars that came along that captured peoples hearts. The 1968 redesign (and the movie Bullit) turned it into a superhero and this is the best they could come up with for a new charger? Some tribute to a car that raced nascar, became a movie star, and even today is still regarded one of the most recognizable and well known mucsle cars to ever roll out of detroit (im talking about the 68-70's of course) Leave it to mopar to screw it up. And yes everyone will start pitching sales figures and how well its doing Well, honestly I see more cop car chargers on the road than civilian chargers so I think that has a lot to do with the sales numbers. How much common sense did it take to realize Coronets were right up there with the rest of them and could do battle with the best of them and coronets were originally available in 2 or 4 doors. Im no genius but Coronet would have been a much better choice then they could introuduced a real wild machine for the new Charger and it would have been 1968 all over.
dodgeking said:
Yea I know Its just how I feel and How I have felt since day one. It just makes you think what kind of morons they hire at mopar to design cars. The Charger was one of those cars that came along that captured peoples hearts. The 1968 redesign (and the movie Bullit) turned it into a superhero and this is the best they could come up with for a new charger? Some tribute to a car that raced nascar, became a movie star, and even today is still regarded one of the most recognizable and well known mucsle cars to ever roll out of detroit (im talking about the 68-70's of course) Leave it to mopar to screw it up. And yes everyone will start pitching sales figures and how well its doing Well, honestly I see more cop car chargers on the road than civilian chargers so I think that has a lot to do with the sales numbers. How much common sense did it take to realize Coronets were right up there with the rest of them and could do battle with the best of them and coronets were originally available in 2 or 4 doors. Im no genius but Coronet would have been a much better choice then they could introuduced a real wild machine for the new Charger and it would have been 1968 all over.
And another thing Mopar discontinued Plymouth and I know I am not the only one that thinks they are idiots for that decision. Think of how many great musclecars could have been reborn under Plymouth. I really miss the Old Chrysler Corporation

#272 ·
Again, if there had been a 2 door Charger - there would have been no Challenger. I think the choice they made was right. Save the 2 door for the Challenger.
I suppose the 3 door (hatchback) Chargers don't count?

#273 ·
valiant67 said:
Again, if there had been a 2 door Charger - there would have been no Challenger. I think the choice they made was right. Save the 2 door for the Challenger.
I suppose the 3 door (hatchback) Chargers don't count?
Yes, it's funny how people skip over the 80's 2 door hatch, FWD, 4 cylinder. It's always left out of the argument. Guess people liked it?
georgejetson said:
If not for the backlash over the Magnum, there may never have been a Charger at all. Heard that from a great source right here on Allpar, a very long time ago.

(Ever notice how the first Chargers -- nose and a couple of little add-on details excepted -- looked like a 9/8 scale 2005 Mitsubishi Galant? Ever wonder if that was just coincidence?)

It was so very frustrating to be a Mopar enthusiast back then... they had a RWD car platform and they had brand-new Hemi V8s, but no muscle cars in the product plan? Really?
Yes, I've noticed myself the Mitsubishi Galant closely resembled the Charger. The rear end looks a lot like the 06-10 Chargers for sure. I figured Daimler cross pollinated, as was common.

#274 ·
MPE426 said:
Yes, it's funny how people skip over the 80's 2 door hatch, FWD, 4 cylinder. It's always left out of the argument. Guess people liked it?

Yes, I've noticed myself the Mitsubishi Galant closely resembled the Charger. The rear end looks a lot like the 06-10 Chargers for sure. I figured Daimler cross pollinated, as was common.
It's more than cross-pollinated.

Going from dim memory here, but as I recall hearing it, the Charger is a car that was originally designed as a Mitsu for the Australian market, but was cancelled at the last minute. There was never a plan to offer it in the U.S.... until the howling over the Magnum as a replacement for the Intrepid reached a fever pitch, and they decided they needed a big Dodge sedan and realized they had one all designed and ready to go. (There may have been an intermediate stage where they were going to offer it in the U.S., but as a police car only, not for retail sale. That was unclear to me at the time, and it hasn't gotten less unclear in the many years since.)

At the time, the idea was to re-work Dodge as an all-truck brand, and the Magnum was their truck-like replacement for the Intrepid. That didn't go well.

#275 ·
georgejetson said:
It's more than cross-pollinated.

Going from dim memory here, but as I recall hearing it, the Charger is a car that was originally designed as a Mitsu for the Australian market, but was cancelled at the last minute. There was never a plan to offer it in the U.S.... until the howling over the Magnum as a replacement for the Intrepid reached a fever pitch, and they decided they needed a big Dodge sedan and realized they had one all designed and ready to go. (There may have been an intermediate stage where they were going to offer it in the U.S., but as a police car only, not for retail sale. That was unclear to me at the time, and it hasn't gotten less unclear in the many years since.)

At the time, the idea was to re-work Dodge as an all-truck brand, and the Magnum was their truck-like replacement for the Intrepid. That didn't go well.
Cool info!
I always liked the magnum, but never could figure out why it came out when it did. You would think they'd have sense enough to bring the sedan out first, then magnum. Especially since the LH's were then gone. Funny things happened in those times. Seriously, how could they end production of the LH cars, and have nothing ready to replace it? There's more to this story, I am sure.

#276 ·
RE: Charger and four doors...perhaps focus your anger on those in the focus groups that responded that "Charger" was the best name for this new 4-door sedan they were shown.

I have never heard the whole Charger-intended-to-be-a-Galant-in-Australia story. I only recall someone mentioning that they thought the Charger looked like the Galant because "the tail lights were shaped similarly."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.