Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor OEM tires

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by valiant67, Jan 8, 2018.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I was really hoping the OEM Bridgestone tires on the Durango would make it through the winter, especially since they only have 20k miles on them. But these Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus tires are absolute crap in bad weather. I don't what kind of person selects an eco-focused tire as the standard tire for an AWD SUV? Shame on you Dodge and Bridgestone.

Then to make matters worse, the selection in 265-50-20 tires is very poor. Thanks again Dodge! I guess I'll have to buy some 18" wheels and winter tires and then another set of decent 20" tires in the spring.

I really wish the person selecting OEM tires did a better job.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

That sucks!

The OEM Kumho's on our Journeys were not that great. They were okay in dry/wet weather, but they wore out too fast for my liking. They needed replacement by 40K miles. And thank goodness it didn't have the 20" wheels - the tires for those were very hard to find. The best OEM tires I had to date were Michelins on my '06 Ram 1500. Excellent dry/wet/snow weather grip and they lasted 111,000 miles before I replaced them. Sadly, I just couldn't afford them - went with Firestone Destination LE's, and the Primewell's (a low priced tire available at Firestone). The first set of Primewell's (P265/70/17's) were good for a low priced tire. Good grip and they lasted about 53K miles (rated for 50K). I just put another set of Primewell's (LT265/70/17's) - so far so good.

3. valiant67

Level III Supporter

And I'm down to just a couple of 20" tires if I want tires made in US or Canada. That's really sad. Adding Mexico adds a couple more.

4. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I think the prerequisites for choosing OEM tires are they have to be round, black and cheap. If they could get away with them not being round and black, they not consider that either.

5. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I finally gave up on the Firestones that came on my Charger. This is my 3rd LX with these 20” tires. Real performance being more important than country of origin I went with Toyo Proxes 4. Huge improvement in snow, ice and slush and I figure they can’t be any noisier in summer. Should have swapped to these soon as I bought the car.

6. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I have done that three times. I never put more than 8k miles on a set of those crap Firestone’s.

7. rapidtrans

Their poor performance in rain is unbelievable.You kinda know you gotta be careful in snow but dead of summer and a little rain, the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] end is all over the place.

8. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

It seems to always be the way at FCA. You spend money on a new vehicle and they can't even give you a decent set of boots. Every vehicle I've had new had some POS tires on it. The worst being the Yokohama Avids on my '11 DGC. Never lasted two years and wouldn't even think about using them in the Winter, so really only a full year worth of running on them. The Firestones on my '16 Patriot seem to be wearing fine, but they are the noisiest tire I've ever owned. Can't wait to get rid of those. Sucks!

9. rapidtrans

Mopar used to use Goodyears almost exclusively. (They refused Firestones supposedly due to the Ford family association)
    Never had problems with the factory tires. Buy the same tire as a replacement later and would have issues balancing the things. I would think which ever tire might give a mpg improvement gets the nod today. Fuggetabout performance.

10. MPE426HEMI

Whatever they can get a bulk deal on, I believe, gets the nod.

11. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

This was circulated many years ago.
    -----------

Chrysler LLC announces return to "completely round" wheels.

Robert Nardelli, CEO of Chrysler LLC, announced that Chrysler will begin phasing out its twelve-sided wheels and tires introduced by parent company Daimler in 2003 as part of a cost-savings program.

"The DoubleHex® smartwheel package has actually increased our costs, while putting us at a competitive disadvantage to other automakers. Daimler projected a cost-savings by eliminating the precise tolerances required for round rims and tires, and expected that customers would eventually wear the tire's contact surface into a complete circle."

Chrysler buyers are expected to notice an immediate improvement in vehicle handling and ride quality, while the company will benefit by no longer paying a royalty to Daimler for each DoubleHex® smartwheel produced in Chrysler factories.

Said Nardelli, "We'll never be able to recoup the $370 million dollars in tooling we were forced to purchase from [Daimler-owned] Schisskamp Gbh, but we expect to sell some of it on the Chinese market, where 8-sided tires have been the standard for quite some time."

Look for the traditional round tires to re-appear first on 2009 editions of the retro-themed Dodge Challenger.

12. MPE426HEMI

Bahaahaa! Mine are only flat on the bottom!

13. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

You can blame premature tire wear on soft rubber compounds installed as OEM to impress automotive writers.

CherokeeVision and Bob Lincoln like this.
  14. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Have to agree with you all on OEM tires, so my last vehicle I budgeted new tires and rims before it left the lot... Made a deal with my dealer and traded the set for stuff to bolt onto my truck. Worked out good.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  15. rapidtrans

Hydroplaning @ 70 mph on the Turnpike heading to Carlisle is a little too exciting!