AF: Power Door Lock problem | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Door Lock problem

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by browens1534, Jul 23, 2014.

1. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

So I feel like I'm the only one with problems on these forums now a days... I may be young, but I ain't green! I do have a little bit of understanding about things... LOL but I'm having a new problem with my Patriot "Daisy" (Yay! ) I went out about an hour and a half ago to get some Tylenol (thunderstorm headache ftw!) and I had a hankering for a Marborlo moment... And I unlocked the Jeep walking out of the garage, the 4 ways flashed and the headlights and interior lights pop on... I go to get in and the doors are locked. So I hit the button again, it acts like it's unlocking but I do not hear the lock actuators (the one for the lift gate is the noisy one), so I manually unlock it with the key, and push the button on the door... It does not unlock, but it will lock from the remote and the door button. I start the jeep, lock the doors put it in drive back to park and shut it off... Doors fail to power unlock... And I get my stuff a little ticked off and go and sit in the garage... Decide to hit my button and I actually hear it unlock... It was sprinkling outside when it happened. I've never had a lock problem on the car...

But the ironic thing is, my project car, the hand-me-down 95 Grand Caravan SE Sport from my parents, had this problem Sunday... I wanted to start it since it's been 3 months since I've touched it... One of the 3 reasons it is parked is because the battery is deader than a doornail... I checked the oil, topped it off and jumped it, it started right up with in 10 seconds! I checked the power locks... Only the driver door would do anything... Maybe it's bad luck or the van affectionately named "Christine" is infecting my other Mopars??

2. djd's turbo

djd's turbo Active Member

I don't know if this will help or not but when the battery in my 2000 Caravan was about to die the door locks started acting up.

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Has someone added any aftermarket alarm/security/remote start system to this vehicle? The CCN and TIPM can store fault codes, but an advanced scan tool would be necessary to read these.
    The power door lock switches and door key cylinder switches have been known to do crazy things if corroded and allowed to get damp. Voltage will find a path across wet corrosion. These are low-current 'signal' lines and don't have to carry the high-current required for the lock solenoids, so they can be sensitive to small current leaks. Despite relatively good weather-proofing, the inside of vehicle doors can be a harsh environment for electrical components with the hot, cold, rain, salt, ice and snow.

Cornupenuria likes this.
  4. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

The battery is fairly new... And there is no factory or aftermarket alarm... It hasn't done it since... I changed the settings to only unlock the driver door on the first push and it's been ok since. It could be an electrical issue though. I'm pretty sure the drive belt needs changed... It looks good but my lights flicker upon take off. I'm just glad the belt is easier to get to than my Sebring was... I just hope it's not the alternator too...